Intercom/headset

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm strongly considering getting a bluetooth headset for both myself and my girlfriend and have so far come up with three candidates.

J&M
(a bit pricey for my liking)
Wireless Products - J&M Motorcycle Audio

Scala Rider Q2
(good price and can communicate with other units)
SCALA RIDER Q2 | CARDO SYSTEMS INC.

Parrot SK4000
(able to sync up with bluetooth enabled MP3 players and voice activated dialing)
Parrot SK4000 - Bluetooth hands-free kit for motorbikes and scooters

Does anyone have experience with any of these or any other suggestions? The main reason I'm considering these is to loose the annoying cable running from my MP3 player to my helmet. It seems to be constantly coming partially unplugged and losing the ground connection.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I put an ipod Shuffle in my helmet. Now there are no cables to mess with. They are all tucked in behind the padding. Just a cheaper option.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I tried to get the Scala to work for like 3 months, - and newer got it to work for more than 5 or 10 minutes.
To be honest my indicator light was more constant that the Scala headset ...

I don't know the other 2, - but I would advice AGAINST the Scala!

I ended up using a old school radio based solution, - has the advantage that it has a 5km comm radius, - so it works as bike2bike comm as well.
It's not a hightech, - but it works EVERY time.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to get the Scala to work for like 3 months, - and newer got it to work for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

I ended up using a old school radio based solution, - has the advantage that it has a 5km comm radius, - so it works as bike2bike comm as well.

Tak for denne rådgivning Jakob. I mine Scala Q morgen så jeg håber, det var bare operatør fejl.

Steve

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Tak for denne rådgivning Jakob. I mine Scala Q morgen så jeg håber, det var bare operatør fejl.

Sorry I said Thanks for the advice, I collect my Scala Q in the morning so I hope it was just operator error.

Steve
Steve

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hope you are right!
I had plenty of emails and phone conversations with the Scala dudes, - but no-one there could offer me any help. (or a swap or refund).

Sad news... the Scala looked pretty promising. sounds like they have some quality control issues though. I keep hearing mixed reviews about it.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know about 15 people here in Adelaide that have the Scala 2, and they all rave about how great it is.

Bluetooth it to the phone, then connect up an mp3 player. You can listen to music while riding, then if you get a phone call, the bluetooth takes over.
Also, communication to others is brilliant, great mic on it, doens't pick up the wind noise or anything, even at speed.

Only limiting thing is, has to be fairly open terrain, once you get into hills with lots of trees, hills, the distance between device communication drops a bit. Open roads, it's about 500 meters.

I haven't heard of the other 2 brands you mentioned, so I can't help you there.

:)

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
I know about 15 people here in Adelaide that have the Scala 2, and they all rave about how great it is.

What do they have to say about sound fidelity? Being a bit of an audiophile, I would be sorely disappointed to get something that sounds flat and tinny even with massive EQ tweaks.

djneall

rebmem roinuj
Reaction score
Visit site
I have used the Scala. It works really nice for communicating with another rider. Hi-Fi for music? Not at all.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm strongly considering getting a bluetooth headset for both myself and my girlfriend and have so far come up with three candidates.

J&M
(a bit pricey for my liking)
Wireless Products - J&M Motorcycle Audio

Scala Rider Q2
(good price and can communicate with other units)
SCALA RIDER Q2 | CARDO SYSTEMS INC.

Parrot SK4000
(able to sync up with bluetooth enabled MP3 players and voice activated dialing)
Parrot SK4000 - Bluetooth hands-free kit for motorbikes and scooters

Does anyone have experience with any of these or any other suggestions? The main reason I'm considering these is to loose the annoying cable running from my MP3 player to my helmet. It seems to be constantly coming partially unplugged and losing the ground connection.

If you would just type in some keywords in the search tab you can see that Bryan has a really nice review regarding communication devices under the touring forum, and specifically highlights the J & M Systems.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring/7200-communication-devices.html

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the scala q2. i am very pleased with it and would recommend it, it does take a lil bit of getting used to but I have used all that it has to offer! I use it with cell phone, have a fm transmitter to use it with my ipod nano and have used the radio. Only problem I have had is voice dial. It doesnt seem to go loud enough for that but when it comes to actually talking on the phone it is loud and clear. and people i talk to hear me crystal clear and have no clue im on my bike!

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
there is another model called the interphone. can search up on net for this. heard the feedback was pretty good

+1
I have the Cardo Scala Rider. It works ok, but the voice command is not so great. Other than that, the headset is loud enough for me to hear, even when going at 75mph with ear plugs. I've heard good reviews about the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/BlueAnt-InterPhone-Bluetooth-Helmet-Black/dp/B000PJSZSA/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1239864548&sr=8-1"]interphone[/ame]. If the Scala Rider breaks or gets lost, I will most likely go for the interphone.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Me and b/f got these just last week:

Midland BT2 wireless headset (PDF brochure).

The package includes
- the intercom device
- two alternative mounting kits
- two alternative microphones
- speakers
- auxiliary cable
- charger

We will complete the set with bluetooth PMR radio phones. I've read good reviews on both Midland and Scala products but I've only tested once this BT2 kit. I'll try to remember to get back on the subject after I've used it more often.

Oh, and by the way. Could someone merge this thread with the one in touring section? Thanks

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Scala and couldn't be more pleased. It is an amazing product.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought the Scala Q2 multiset for my wife and I. We've yet to test it on the road but walked all through the house last night talking to each other with our helmets on (good thing the shades were all pulled!) and had no issues all the way from basement to 2nd floor.

I used it with the Nuvi 765T last night (in my pocket) with the Nuvi transmitting FM to the headset. Heard my music (not audiophile quality but music none-the-less) and heard all my directions going home.

The original Scala has issues and quality problems. Plus they were 30' or less range. The Q2 sets are 1650', have great noise cancelling and the AGC works very well! The brand new ones also have an MP3 player cord included and plugs into the helmet clip in the event you cannot transmit in FM or BT. BT to the phone was perfect.

Mic and speaker placement are absolutely KEY to these working GREAT or TERRIBLE. Make sure you apply them slightly forward of your ear opening in the helmet. Make sure the mic is centered on your mouth and very close.

I intend to do a full write up with some pics of the Scala Q2 mounted after I've had some time to use them at speed with my wife. Tomorrow after work looks like our first trip out with them in full use. Yea!!

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Me and b/f got these just last week:

Midland BT2 wireless headset (PDF brochure).

The package includes
- the intercom device
- two alternative mounting kits
- two alternative microphones
- speakers
- auxiliary cable
- charger

We will complete the set with bluetooth PMR radio phones. I've read good reviews on both Midland and Scala products but I've only tested once this BT2 kit. I'll try to remember to get back on the subject after I've used it more often.

Oh, and by the way. Could someone merge this thread with the one in touring section? Thanks

What do you think of the music audio quality?