Installed a 12v outlet, before, during, and after pics

derf

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, here's my attempt at installing a 12v outlet and I think it turned out pretty good.

The main purpose was to power my Garmin Nuvi but wanted it to serve double duty to plug in my trickle charger.

The main goal was to make it waterproof and as inconspicuous as possible.

I picked up the waterproof SeaDog outlet at a local boating store and the rest at Canadian Tire.

All in, I'm in for just over $20. Took a couple of hours not including the time it took to scratch my head and figure out what I wanted. I also don't want to admit how many times I went back and forth to the store changing the nigly bits to get it right. It was fun though, got to spend some quality time with my bike and a pretty good outcome.

Rod

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you posted this as I,m doing the same thing this week.

Question for you.How difficult is it drilling the hole to mount the socket ?

derf

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you posted this as I,m doing the same thing this week.

Question for you.How difficult is it drilling the hole to mount the socket ?

Drilling the hole was the part I was most worried about. It went a lot smoother that I expected by using my cordless drill and a spade bit.

I needed the hole to be 1 1/16" but I only had a 1" spade bit. After making the 1" hole and high-five'ing myself for not cracking anything, I used a simple 1/8" drill bit to gently 'sand' away a bit more material. If I had a dremel sander I would have used it to sand the edges but the hole turned out surprisingly round and smooth. :)

derf

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you drill it on the bike or take it off ?

I drilled it off the bike.

It has to come off anyway to lift the tank and feed the wiring. It also allowed for a bit more stable drilling. Try to get a piece of wood under the plastic when your drilling. It will make it more stable, less likely to crack, and will make it easier for the bit to stay true on center.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing a couple weeks ago for the same reason . I did some thing a little different . I was going to make a Battery Tender adaped plug for it but after I thought about it . I went out a picked up another Battery Tender lead and cut it up and wired that to the back of the Adaptor and wired a complete battery lead to the battery and I use the plug on the battery tender lead to plug and unplug the power adaptor

derf

Reaction score
Visit site
That turned out great derf.

Hate to hijack here but Just wanted to drop this link in for ozfazer6 to give him another option for the outlet.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/13728-headlight-outlet-mod.html

I didn't want to mess with mt bikes plastics so I went this route instead, but man that is one clean looking job you did there derf.

Thanks Stryken. I also was initially reluctant to mess with the plastics. I had read your post and liked your positioning but assume the '08 has slight differences up there 'cause on my '05 it would seem that it would interfere with the forks at full lock?

FAZERRIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Great looking job. Nice and neat looking. I was just telling my buddy today I want to put one on mine for my GPS. It probley won't be getting done to in the near future but I think its a great idea. :thumbup:

derf

Reaction score
Visit site
Great looking job. Nice and neat looking. I was just telling my buddy today I want to put one on mine for my GPS. It probley won't be getting done to in the near future but I think its a great idea. :thumbup:

you'll get it done when you get it done; you can't just rush into these things.;)

achtung6

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job. Mine is similar only I installed a relay so it is powered directly from the battery but only when the engine is running.

I used a Marinco waterproof 12v outlet.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job. Mine is similar only I installed a relay so it is powered directly from the battery but only when the engine is running.

I used a Marinco waterproof 12v outlet.

Nice. Where is that mounted? I plan on doing this shortly. You do a lot of riding in the bay area?

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice. Cheaper option is to order a readymade kit from ebay uk. I got one separate marine quality waterproof one (does not come with the readymade kit)

You may probably find slightly cheaper versions too.

Motorcycle Waterproof 12V Power Socket - GPS phone MP3 on eBay, also Honda, Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Parts Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 07-Jun-09 16:37:59 BST)

and one with already wired (inferior to the marine one but still good) here:

12V inline Motorcycle accessory power socket 1.5m cable on eBay, also Electrical Security, Accessories, Motorcycle Parts Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 12-May-09 18:23:34 BST)

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing a couple weeks ago for the same reason . I did some thing a little different . I was going to make a Battery Tender adaped plug for it but after I thought about it . I went out a picked up another Battery Tender lead and cut it up and wired that to the back of the Adaptor and wired a complete battery lead to the battery and I use the plug on the battery tender lead to plug and unplug the power adaptor

I just did similar, managed to find the right plug to match my optimiser (battery tender) at Maplins (UK electronics store)

It is their part number GZ98G and is called a kyosho connector Tamiya Race Pack Connector > Maplin

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score