Input new on tires....

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I need some input for some of our more experienced riders. I have a 2009 FZ6. I bought in late March with 0 miles. The tires on it are Bridgestone BTO20s. I am a little nervous about these tires. Ya the bike only has a couple thousand miles. However the bike left the assembly line in November 2008. I'm thinking these tires are somewhat old regardless of minimal miles. So without putting my self at risk or causing injury to myself. I would appreciate some input. Should I replace thes tires? A fellow rider of mine said just replace them, of course to be on the safe side. He claimed if you can put a finger nail in them and they barely leave a finger nail mark, there most likely too hard and to old.

Could use some help. I would hate to throw a set of tires on a new bike. But I would also hate to bite doo, doo going down the freeway or on a country road.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The BT-020 was replaced by the BT-021 which was replaced by the BT-023.

I would say replace your tires.

You can check your manufacture date on the tire. For example: 0304 would be the 3rd week of 2004.

TireCodeNumbers.jpg

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Age matters when it comes to tires. The rubber does start to break down over time, and can become unsafe. Most tire manufacturers go with a 6 year limit, but some ppl have said up to 10 years, others no more than 4 years.

You can tell when the tire was manufactured as it's indicated on the tire. There will be a 4 digit combination indicating the week and year of manufacture - e.g. 3106 means made in the 31st week of 2006. The manufacture date will tell you the true age of the tire. (see pic)

I would think that original tires on a 2008 should be replaced.

DOT+number+on+sidewall+with+labels.jpg

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I was in the same situation as you (http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/43866-would-you-change-tires-if.html#post476463) and elected to replace my stock Dunlops last week with Bridgestone BT-023s. In addition to concerns about their age, the old ones did not inspire confidence when I got caught in the rain recently.

Lots of good tire sales on right now. Check your favorite online shop -- got mine for $245 delivered and had them mounted by a local shop.

I do wish the new ones were fresher than "4111" but what can you do when you buy online?

Hope to give the new tires a more thorough test ride tomorrow morning if I get my act together before it gets stinkin' hot. :rolleyes:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I need some input for some of our more experienced riders. I have a 2009 FZ6. I bought in late March with 0 miles. The tires on it are Bridgestone BTO20s. I am a little nervous about these tires. Ya the bike only has a couple thousand miles. However the bike left the assembly line in November 2008. I'm thinking these tires are somewhat old regardless of minimal miles. So without putting my self at risk or causing injury to myself. I would appreciate some input. Should I replace thes tires? A fellow rider of mine said just replace them, of course to be on the safe side. He claimed if you can put a finger nail in them and they barely leave a finger nail mark, there most likely too hard and to old.

Could use some help. I would hate to throw a set of tires on a new bike. But I would also hate to bite doo, doo going down the freeway or on a country road.

They're going to be getting hard by now. Stock tires are poor anyway. Replace the tires w/ some top quality rubber and don't look back. I just went through the same thing ditching the stock tires despite plenty of tread, switching to Pirelli Diablos. Huge difference!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! Greatly appreciated. So what's a good tire. I mean if you were going to drop a few bones this weekend. What would you get? Michelin pilot 2's seems fairly popular. What's a good tire, hands down? What's a tire where you know it will make a huge difference?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! Greatly appreciated. So what's a good tire. I mean if you were going to drop a few bones this weekend. What would you get? Michelin pilot 2's seems fairly popular. What's a good tire, hands down? What's a tire where you know it will make a huge difference?

I just put on a set of Bridgestone BT023s.... Like you, the bike came with BT020s... The 023s are infinitely better in all areas... Strangley once I installed them they were completely balanced (did not need to add or move the wheel weights)... Maybe because both sets are from Bridgestone and may possibly share the same mould?

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Believe it or not guys - most of these motoparts vendors have eBay stores too. My last set I picked up of Michelin pilot powers were 100$ free shipping for the rear and 89$ free shipping for the front.

Can't forget about eBay - sometimes you can be surprised.

As far as whether you should replace them or not - that's ultimately you call holmes. If they seem dry or warped or not sticking - and you don't feel comfortable - change em. If they feel alright ride em out until you feel like changing em out.

I rode over a nail 2 weeks after getting this set and punctured my rear tire with only 500 miles on the set. I ended up having to plug it - and its been plugged for over a month now. I was sort of in the same dilemma - should I buy a new rear or not. I decided to ride the plug out because i did a really good job putting it in. Its solid and i don't notice its there at all - not even visually anymore. So really whatever you FEEL is what you should do.

If you feel uncomfortable - definitely change em out.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I checked the date on the tires. After I posted this thread on the road. The Bridgestone BT-020's are dated stamped DJ3908. So they are roughly somewhat aged.

Coincidently, on the same road trip home. I was taking the bike through some turns at a spirited pace and noticed the rear of the bike slipped twice in some road tar/slurry patches. Temp was about 85 degrees out and the bike just rode about 60 miles. So I have no doubt the bike tires were plenty warm. I am tempted to tryout the BT-023's. However, I think I am going to follow the flock on this one and what looks to be the the highest rated tire on the site. The Michelin Pilot Road II's.

Last edited:

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I had maybe a thousand miles on my road 2s when I totaled my 06 in May. Great tires, much better than the Qualifiers that were on out when I bought it. Killed me to lose the tires when they were so new.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.7 using Tapatalk 2

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i would not get tires that have a hard single compound in the front.
michelin road 2s and 3s are basically the same tire ive gone through a set of road3s a week back with about 25,000 out of them mostly touring on the highway.
now i've got Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact ,and i like them more than the road 3s. they seem heavy duty and grip better

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
? I thought the Michelen Pilot Road II's CT's were dual compound? Hard in the middle soft on the sides.

Those Metzlers are a little pricy dude. I noticed a few of the Aussies are using them.

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
im not an experienced rider, just now getting into twisties my 3rd year, i bought a set of pilot powers because i was worried about rear slippage, id experienced it a few times with the stock tires, but i love the grip and feel of the pilot power, ive put 1k miles on it this month, my only concern is people are telling me it wont even last all summer because of its softness, maybe 2500 miles, like i said i love the grip and ride

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
? I thought the Michelen Pilot Road II's CT's were dual compound? Hard in the middle soft on the sides.

Those Metzlers are a little pricy dude. I noticed a few of the Aussies are using them.

They are, that's why I bought them. I love em, they're very sticky, I haven't reached their limits yet, just my own. To get to my garage where I park my bike, I drive through my yard a bit, and have yet to slip on grass, even when it's wet. Yes I'm very cautious, but my old tires slid a tiny bit here and there.

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put on Pilot Road 3's to replace my brand new looking stock tires on my 07. The difference is night and day. I don't have much experience with different tires but the PR3's are great.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
For some reason people will always tell you that whatever (tire, oil, spring, light, etc) they use is the best. The truth is any new multi compound tire from any of the top brand manufacture will be way better then your old single compound tire.

And it's hard to compare tires because when a average rider puts new rubber on the old tire is worn out. So of course the new one is better even it it's the same tire type.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got BT023's last Friday and took them on a weekend trip through the mountains. Great performance. We rode a few hours through rain and they had good grip, very confidence inspiring. I had the 016's and 020's before - these are better than either. We'll see about durability. The front 020 had a fair amount of cupping before the wear indicator showed, which was disappointing.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been running PR2's on my FJR1300, FZ6(sold), FZ1 (sold) and now on my KTM 990 Supermoto for well over 50,000 total miles. Best dual compound time out there for riding on the west coast.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This method has proven to reduce tire life and as such when DONE PROPERLY for sustained periods of time, well - you will need a new tire! As for the front. you're on your own!

PS - pic is complements of ChevyFazer! :thumbup:

43715d1342269215-fz6-loves-turns-imageuploadedbytapatalk1342269212.285752.jpg