Indy-where's the best seats?

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
I've managed to swing a family trip to Indy to coincide with the MotoGP. Having never been to this track before any sections that are better for viewing? Section J, E or sw vista look good but are they any better than the general viewing areas. any thoughts or experiences? I'm taking a complete bike novice so hope to inspire him! Thx all!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
We're in the E Penthouse where we've sat for the past couple of years. We have a good view of T1-T4, the end of the front straight and pit out. The nice thing is that it is covered from the sun and the "r" stuff. This is only for the races on Sunday. Friday and Saturday everything is general admission.

If it's your first time I'd suggest going with general admission and moving around. T6 and T9 are good spots. From the Ducati vendor spot you can see T1-T4 pretty good. Stands J and H offer a good view of T10-16. If you enter on the North end, parking is free.

There's lots to do. If you've never been to the Mile, check out the fairgrounds on Saturday night. You won't be disappointed and a lot of the GP racers will be there. They almost got Rossi on Kenny Roberts TZ a few years ago, but he refused saying KR was f&*^%ng nuts! Also, if you can swing it, go downtown any evening. There's a gazzilion bikes and good for people watching. The local Ducati club does a bike show on Friday evening within walking distance of the speedway on Main St. Always really nice bikes.

One thing Indy does better than any event that I've ever been to is traffic control. They get everyone in and out very quickly. All lands turn to one way going in in the morning and one way going out after the races.

Lastly, if you can swing a paddock pass and you've never been in a MotoGP paddock before, do it. You'll be amazed.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Off thread a bit,but,,
I was looking at the Speedway,
On Google Maps and,,
You can go around the Track!!:rockon:
Even the GP(road course)!
Have to follow a white and red Corvette,
It won't let you go fast,
At least on this old 'puter.:rolleyes:
Pretty Cool!,,IMHO,
Learn something new everyday!!
Oh how I love Life!
Sure looks narrower than,
I thought it would.
Looks a lot thinner at Race Speed,
I Bet!
One thing I would recommend,
Besides sunglasses,
Is a GOOD pair of binoculars!
Having no binoculars is better,
Then cheap ones.
Cheap ones will give you,
A killer headache!
Have Fun!
And remember
"Hoosier Hospitality is
No Accident"
:cool:
Rich

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Off thread a bit,but,,
I was looking at the Speedway,
On Google Maps and,,
You can go around the Track!!:rockon:
Even the GP(road course)!
Have to follow a white and red Corvette,
It won't let you go fast,
At least on this old 'puter.:rolleyes:
Pretty Cool!,,IMHO,
Learn something new everyday!!
Oh how I love Life!
Sure looks narrower than,
I thought it would.
Looks a lot thinner at Race Speed,
I Bet!
One thing I would recommend,
Besides sunglasses,
Is a GOOD pair of binoculars!
Having no binoculars is better,
Then cheap ones.
Cheap ones will give you,
A killer headache!
Have Fun!
And remember
"Hoosier Hospitality is
No Accident"
Rich

Absolutely true on the hospitality!!! The city goes all out for the weekend. Hotels that we've stayed at in the past will have parties with grilling and beer (for free) on Saturday evening. Signs advertising the races are everywhere. Downside is they show Pedrosa who is not real popular with the local Kentucky Kid fans for obvious reasons. Marquez will be featured this year I'm sure.

And, most importantly, bring ear plugs!! The sound is deafening!

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
How could I forget earplugs? With my hearing problems!(Tinnitus).
The Hoosier Hospitality is no Accident,
Is on signs when you cross the State line.
Meaning please drive carefully,
As we don't want your trip to be ruined,
Because you got in a wreck!
Most Hoosiers are friendly,but there are Bozos in all States.
Have Fun,Be Safe!
You folks on Bikes can do a lap (paced) on the track for $!
Rich

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm driving up with the family so no bike will have to see if I can get the whole gang downtown sat night!

Thx for the info!

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Say you but a general admission ticket for Sunday..does this get you in all day for the warmups and actual races for all 3 moto classes?

Nuut

Reaction score
Visit site
The last time I went I sat in section J. Good view of the last 4 turns and an awesome view of the GP bikes bangin' 3 gear wheelies out of the last turn. Next time I will sit in the North end of section H. I've also sat in the E penthouse and SW Vista. Anywhere near the turns will great. Truth is you will spend 3/4's of the race watching the jumbotron so make sure you sit where you will have good access of a screen. If your novice guest doesn't get totally pumped up just from hearing the bikes idling in the pits no seat choice is going to help him. Lol.