Inconsistent Oil Levels

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Right,

Not sure what's going on here but on Thursday i checked my oil level (cold) before my 4 days of riding to work (80 mile round trip) and saw it was quite low so i topped it up.

Rode to work and heard a horrible knocking noise towards the end of my journey, sounded like ball bearings being dropped. So i let the engine cool and then checked the oil level and to my surprise it was showing really over filled !! :eek::confused:

So i drained some oil (a bit too much tbh) and about 15/20mm was showing on the dip stick. Rode home and then again, let the engine cool a bit and then checked the oil level.... It was showing over filled again !! :eek::confused:

How the hell is this possible ? :confused:

I'm checking the oil level with the bike on the centre stand and screwing the dip stick in and then back out again.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right,

Not sure what's going on here but on Thursday i checked my oil level (cold) before my 4 days of riding to work (80 mile round trip) and saw it was quite low so i topped it up.

Rode to work and heard a horrible knocking noise towards the end of my journey, sounded like ball bearings being dropped. So i let the engine cool and then checked the oil level and to my surprise it was showing really over filled !! :eek::confused:

So i drained some oil (a bit too much tbh) and about 15/20mm was showing on the dip stick. Rode home and then again, let the engine cool a bit and then checked the oil level.... It was showing over filled again !! :eek::confused:

How the hell is this possible ? :confused:

I'm checking the oil level with the bike on the centre stand and screwing the dip stick in and then back out again.
That is the cause, don't screw the dip stick in. Only insert it into the tube until it stops...don't screw it down until you are done measuring the oil level.

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I read somewhere that was the correct way to check the oil level but i've just read the owners manual and it says:

1. Place the vehicle on a level surface
and hold it in an upright position.

2. Start the engine, warm it up for
several minutes, and then turn it
off.

3. Wait a few minutes until the oil settles.

4. Remove the engine oil dipstick and
wipe it clean, insert it back into the
hole (without screwing it in), and
then remove it again to check the
oil level.

Anyway, that doesn't explain the inconsistent oil levels as the way i'm checking the oil level remains the same.

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You ARE on the center stand, right? The attitude of the bike will have an influence on the measured oil level. I am guessing it is either a measuring problem, (side stand, hill, etc) or some other liquid is getting into the crankcase. Make sure the coolant level is not dropping!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whar about that ball bearing sound? That doesn't sound good at all.

Temperature plays a small role in the level but drain back time is the key factor. Let it sit the same amount of of time after turning the engine off to address this.
More than likely it depicts the oil filter anti-drain back valve is leaking. So if your waiting, the filter is draining into pan perhaps? Replace filter w different brand.
Anyway id opt for not screwing the stick down, just in case your wiping oil off on the way out.

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
After reducing the oil and cleaning/lubing the chain the ball bearing noise has gone :eek:

I always check the oil level on the centre stand.

I will follow the owners manual process and see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies :rockon: