I'm new!

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. My name's Matt and I'm from monson, ma. I just bought, well I'm in the process of buying an 06 fz6. This is my first bike. I'm surprised it's taken me so long to get one, I'm 23, everyone in my family rides but I guess I was just never in a position to buy one! But I am sooooooo excited (and nervous). I'll be taking the MSF course hopefully next month. I have a question though. My father offered to help me learn in the mean time, I was wondering what you all thought about this, he has over 30 years experience riding, but it's been on harleys and cruisers, not sure how similar everything is. Also, just riding around my driveway or up and down the street (There is minimal traffic as its a residential country road), would this be a bad idea before taking the class? It's gonna be sooo hard not to at least do some friction zone exercises with my bike staring at me begging to get some attention! Also, I have a question regarding gear, I have a pair of timberland boots that go over my ankle but not up to my calves...I am going to get all gear and these boots are not going to cut it when I really start riding, but how high should they be for the MSF course, I don't want to spend the money and show up and have to go home because my boots weren't high enough! Anyway, great site, I'm so excited to be a part of it and even more excited to start riding!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Matt, welcome to the site, and it is not a bad idea to get some balance and comfort on a bike before the course. Take it to an empty parking lot though, AND traffic, even minimal, is a bad idea until you get comfortable maving around on the bike.

As far as the MSF course goes, i think they only require over the ankle boots, but moving forward you would probably want to pick some motorcycle intended boots, jacket, ect...

Have you looked at NEStreetriders.com ? it is a local site for New England folks and not associated at all with this site, but there are a few guys on there that are actually the Mass. MSF instructors. they would be more than happy to get you some information.

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, no I didn't know about that site I will check it out though! And yeah I definitely plan on buying proper gear, just want to get the coarse done before I start dishing out more money haha. And about the parking lot, that brings up another question...as I said I live in the country, theres only one parking lot around and it's very busy. There is a cemetary right down the road though that I was thinking about going to. Either way though I'm confused as I'll need to ride it to get it there and I'm not comfortable riding on roads yet. I think I'll just practice in my driveway, it's pretty big, even if I just practice getting used to the friction zone and going forward and back, I guess it's better than nothing, right?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum, Matt.

As reiobard already said, your boots will work fine for MSF course (anything over the ankle is acceptable.. in addition to long-sleeve pants, long-sleeve shirt and gloves).

Practicing in your driveway is a good idea as far as friction zone goes.. just be careful when it comes to turning the bike around if the driveway is relatively narrow.

Unless your dad has taken MSF or had some other former training, I would suggest not taking lessons from him. No former training almost always means bad habits.. no sense inheriting those from him (no offense).

Why not try to get into MSF asap? Did you know that you could just go down there as a stand-by and if any of the students don't show up on 1st day, they take you in? This is how I got in 3 years ago :thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

welcome to the forum.. you live in a great location for roads to ride on... i ride up that way at least once or twice a month (on weekends) just for the roads.. down toward stratford or up towards ware, great roads.. good luck with your msf course.. worth its weight in gold.. :thumbup: post up some pictures of the bike hwne you get a chance..

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best forum and motorcycle out there. Practice is mandentory prior to doing your MSF course. VegasRider is an MSF trainer and he can give you some advise. Ride Safe And Enjoy The Ride. :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mandentory

I'm not entirely sure if that word is the same as "mandatory", but if it is, I have to disagree. You don't have to have any motorcycle training or experience prior to MSF class. You just need to be able to ride a bicycle.
Sorry if I misunderstood you.

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks everyone! To answer some questions, I'm just waiting to save up the cash for the coarse. I had wanted to take it before buying the bike but things just sort of fell into place with it. And yea those roads out near Stafford are like 75% of what really pushed me over the edge to needing to learn to ride! Haha, weathers getting nicer too finally! So excited