I'm getting my FZ6 today!

iwannaride

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster here. Well the day has finally come after about a year of waiting and searching I found my new bike. I'm going to get it this afternoon after work. Unfortunately the sky looks like this right now...
View attachment 48214

Fingers crossed it clears up a little or its going to be a miserable 45 minute first ride. Pictures to come once it's in the garage.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon: Welcome to the family! Post up the pics, let us know the details of the new ride! Also, if you have the right gear, you won't be miserable if it rains :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1! If you don't have rain gear, go buy some right now!! You'll need it today.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best forum and motorcycle out there. Good luck on the weather. Same as we have had here in Oregon. Please post some pictures of your new ride! Ride safe and enjoy the ride! :thumbup:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on wet weather gear... you never know when the bureaux is gonna get it right ( or wrong)

and don't be a fair weather rider it's only rain for cryin' out loud

years ago riders did it with far less hi tech gear, bikes, tyres , and road surfaces.
be prepared for the wet and you'll be a better rider all round
but if it really worries you go by my trainers mantra : if hits too hot for the riding gear then it's too hot to ride and if you think it's too wet it probably is.... that's time for the train or the car

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

iwannaride

Reaction score
Visit site
No rain and dry roads :thumbup: Normally I ride rain or shine but for my first ride I'm glad it was dry. Clutch and throttle are definitely a lot touchier than what I'm used to, 2003 Honda shadow.

But anyway, the good stuff... It's a 2007 with just shy of 5000mi on the clock. Other than a few nicks and a crack by the headlights its a peach. Paid 4300 and PO threw in a woman's Joe rocket jacket for the Mrs and handlebar risers. It's all stock save for a touring windshield and brand new Contimotion shoes, but that will probably change soon... Hopefully the weather stays clear for the weekend and I can take it out for a nice long welcome ride.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
No rain and dry roads :thumbup: Normally I ride rain or shine but for my first ride I'm glad it was dry. Clutch and throttle are definitely a lot touchier than what I'm used to, 2003 Honda shadow.

But anyway, the good stuff... It's a 2007 with just shy of 5000mi on the clock. Other than a few nicks and a crack by the headlights its a peach. Paid 4300 and PO threw in a woman's Joe rocket jacket for the Mrs and handlebar risers. It's all stock save for a touring windshield and brand new Contimotion shoes, but that will probably change soon... Hopefully the weather stays clear for the weekend and I can take it out for a nice long welcome ride.

:welcome: and nice bike. I like the windshield. :D

Definitely lube that clutch cable and ensure it pulls smooth. If it's at all notchy, consider replacing it despite the low miles. I replaced mine at ~4k miles for $20 (prev owners didn't maintain it.)

Throttle works best for most with all the play taken up.

iwannaride

Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch pulls perfectly smooth, it just catches a lot sooner and more abruptly than I'm used to on the Shadow I think. Plus the FZ6 is almost triple the HP and has two more gears, which I'm definitely not used to. I only took it up to maybe 7-8k rpm and I thought I was flying :D

Some immediate, first impression issues I'd like to take a look into:
Mirrors. I stared at my elbows most of the ride. Couldn't see a thing directly behind me. Just deal with it or maybe little bubble mirrors for the corners?
Speedo. Construction zone radar said 65, speedo said 72. Speedo healer is damn expensive, any other options?
Vibrations, not the good kind. My hands were numb after the 5 minute ride to the notary. It seemed like any time I was cruising under about 4500rpm there were very strong vibrations coming from the handlebars and footpegs. Keeping it in lower gear and/or above 5k and they seem to vanish though. Is there anything I can do mechanically to ease this or should I look into grips and bar ends?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch pulls perfectly smooth, it just catches a lot sooner and more abruptly than I'm used to on the Shadow I think. Plus the FZ6 is almost triple the HP and has two more gears, which I'm definitely not used to. I only took it up to maybe 7-8k rpm and I thought I was flying :D

Some immediate, first impression issues I'd like to take a look into:
Mirrors. I stared at my elbows most of the ride. Couldn't see a thing directly behind me. Just deal with it or maybe little bubble mirrors for the corners?
Speedo. Construction zone radar said 65, speedo said 72. Speedo healer is damn expensive, any other options?
Vibrations, not the good kind. My hands were numb after the 5 minute ride to the notary. It seemed like any time I was cruising under about 4500rpm there were very strong vibrations coming from the handlebars and footpegs. Keeping it in lower gear and/or above 5k and they seem to vanish though. Is there anything I can do mechanically to ease this or should I look into grips and bar ends?

Welcome to the best forum for FZ6 owners.....I have an 05 and let me tell you what I learned from everyone that should help your issues.....

Clutch - I had the same observation about the action being abrupt and zone being narrow. Off-season I added the Killeroodle clutch slave, lubed the cable with the EZ-Glider, and installed 2Wheels adjustable levers. TOTALLY different clutch. more forgiving and completely adjustable.

Vibes - I added Grip Puppies for less than $10.00 and they reduced vibes through the grips. Also, using the home-made manometer from this forum, I synced the throttle bodies, resulting in less vibes and a little less throttle snatch. To further the effort I am considering some HVMP heavy bar ends, which have been getting great reviews for their ability to dampen vibes in the bars.

Welcome to the forum.

iwannaride

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the best forum for FZ6 owners.....I have an 05 and let me tell you what I learned from everyone that should help your issues.....

Clutch - I had the same observation about the action being abrupt and zone being narrow. Off-season I added the Killeroodle clutch slave, lubed the cable with the EZ-Glider, and installed 2Wheels adjustable levers. TOTALLY different clutch. more forgiving and completely adjustable.

Vibes - I added Grip Puppies for less than $10.00 and they reduced vibes through the grips. Also, using the home-made manometer from this forum, I synced the throttle bodies, resulting in less vibes and a little less throttle snatch. To further the effort I am considering some HVMP heavy bar ends, which have been getting great reviews for their ability to dampen vibes in the bars.

Welcome to the forum.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I will definitely look into some grips and lubing everything up. After some long rides this coming week I'll see about levers and TB sync, too.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
You should not be running below 4500 rpms on the roads. This engine loves to cruise between 5500 & 7000.