I tried using ear plugs today on my ride to work

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
All you guys using ear plugs, how many of you have exhausts on your bike??

I do, but I started wearing the plugs way before I got the pipes. Like Motogiro said, its mainly for the wind noise over 50mph.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im pretty sure my hearing is slowly going because on the ride home i didnt use the ear plugs and it wasnt that bad at all as far as noise. But i was also in stop and go traffic on the freeway LOL

Here is a question:
All you guys using ear plugs, how many of you have exhausts on your bike??

I have Leos on mine, but as Cliff mentioned.. it's not the exhaust noise, it's the wind at speed. At highway speeds, you can barely hear the exhaust over wind. Wind noise at hwy speeds can be over 130dB.. more than enough to damage hearing.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm A hardass, i must get that from my grandfather. I work in a factory where hearing protection is required, for the first couple of weeks i used ear plugs but gave up when i kept getting ear infections, tried it again last night funny enough and found any time i moved wrong, i got a deep base vibration all thru my ears which i'm sure isn't good for them either. Anyhow on the bike i won't use earplugs, i'll use earbuds, for music, or just to dampen the sound... i can still hear the bike and a good chunk of wind noise is cut off... Plus, who doesn't want to listen to Dropkick Murphy's whilst riding? :D

P.S. Day off from work today so will be going to BB for some Skull Candy (highly recommend)

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I always found it weird that I could hear myself breathing when I wear plugs.

That's another issue i found, i'm a karaoke rider, so with plugs in it make ME seem loud and it kills the fun of my karaoke :( Ear buds work pretty well though

Mind you i rode Motocross fro 10 years of my life W/O ear protection so i'm likely to be deaf by 30 anyhow :spank:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Tim! Where ya Bin!? LOL? Do you have a name or link to those custom made earplugs?

I think hearing loss has many factors. Genetic disposition, frequencies the ear is exposed to. How long a period of time, and how often as well as decibel level.

I have an aftermarket exhaust but that doesn't seem to bother me at all. It's the wind noise for long periods of time that bother me. I played in rock bands for years and although I may have hearing damage or loss I seem to be okay and hear everything okay. I know that you can suffer hearing loss at specific frequencies and that's why you need to have your hearing properly tested.

No longer have the FZ6, bought a Street Triple back in June. I still pop in on occasion.

I just looked up some local audiologists and contacted a few. Don't have the doctor's name but he was part of Audiology and Hearing Aids in Maryland & Virginia

Trust me guys, even with stock exhaust, you WILL lose some hearing just from the constant wind noise. With lower noise levels things calm down and I find I have an easier time staying alert.
Tim

Last edited:

discobiscuit

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear my Skullcandy ear buds while riding, no restrictions in SC on headphones. To be honest, I dont think we have any restrictions in SC for anything? One mirror, a headlight and no lane splitting are about the only no no's.
I keep the volume down to still hear the traffic around me, yet enjoy some music and not go deaf from the Two Brothers.

Reaction score
Visit site
Anytime I'll be on the freeway, I use and love the tan colored "Hearos".

Good plug, can still hear well, but no deafening wind buffeting. Love it

:thumbup:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I use these for Djing in loud clubs or bars.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETYPlug-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEETC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314304779&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 ETYPlug Hearing Protection Earplugs, Large Clear Stem with White Tip (Clear): Electronics[/ame]

Etymotic Research ER20 ETYPlug Hearing Protection Earplugs

They are perfect for it because they lower the decibel level without distorting the sound quality.

For me and probably others this type of ear plug would be ideal for riding. EXCEPT its not soft, the hard plastic end could be dangerous??? Thoughts?

I have a pair, but im afraid to wear them in case a helmet collision would cause them to jam into my ear. But there seems to be a good amount of space between my ear and the helmet side.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
i use in-ear earplugs when i go on the highway but normal ones if i'm in the city or something.

I take my music with me whereever i go for at least 15 years. walking/bicycle/motorcycle/car/... so i can't go without it. I always try to find a balance between street trafic and music (hence the two different pairs).
This way i can listen to my music but still disconnect myself from it when i have to concentrate on my riding.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As stated; at first it takes a while to get used to it but I wear them 90% of the time and always on the freeway.

It's like night snow skiing where you don't see everything but adapt and use other senses to fill in the voids.

My commute to work = freeway. Ride home sucks so I take the side streets and because working cagers put me at risk, I leave the plugs out so I can the tires and engines incase they come at me.....

Is it fair to say that none of our helmets stop the noise over 50-60mph?

ykbell09

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
That's another issue i found, i'm a karaoke rider, so with plugs in it make ME seem loud and it kills the fun of my karaoke :( Ear buds work pretty well though

OMG I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE ....

edit: I think my browser hates this forum ... why doesn't my quote look like it's supposed to?!?!?!

Last edited:

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
I use ear plugs and love em. Makes my ride about 80% more comfortable.

Nelly

+1

Earplugs are one of the single most important pieces I use for comfort and safety. At 50+ mph there is very little that can be heard over the road noise, wind, and bike's engine = no need in destroying your hearing by -not- wearing plugs.

I like how the ear plugs bring everything down 20 or 30 decibels. The calming effect is great, and long rides are much much more pleasant. Gives a nice bubble of concentration, and relaxation at the same time. That bubble is shattered by constant wind noise and engine vibrations (noise) pounding on the ears.

Pulling away from a stop, you shouldn't need the noise to be smooth:

no movement = release more clutch

some movement = release and some throttle

people holding their ears and screaming at you = it might, just might, be pinned already

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Too Funny!!!!

Pulling away from a stop, you shouldn't need the noise to be smooth:

no movement = release more clutch

some movement = release and some throttle

people holding their ears and screaming at you = it might, just might, be pinned already

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry but i have to say I completely disagree with this thread. If you hear a lot of noise its probably because you have a garbage helmet, or removed/drilled baffles. If you don't want to go deaf, don't buy a loud exhaust or drill out your baffles.

Now I think ear plugs are more of a hazard than anything. I find when I've worn them you can't hear noises from other people - which are big indicator signs. It drastically reduces your ability to communicate audibly with other people. A lot of times, a quick honk, or screech, or maybe a shout, or even emergency sirens - can make or break you.

With that said, I have a garbage helmet, and a pair of scorpions - so dB is a factor for me. What I actually found is noise cancelling headphones end up being great for the job. Even without using music, there is still a level of volume you can hear from the outside world. When I do use earplugs, its usually my SkullKandie headphones which contour perfectly to your ear, you don't notice they're there, and you can still hear fine without the loud muffler or wind in your helmet beating your eardrums.

But never, ever will i wear straight up ear plugs. I need to hear other drivers.

:rant:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry but i have to say I completely disagree with this thread. If you hear a lot of noise its probably because you have a garbage helmet, or removed/drilled baffles. If you don't want to go deaf, don't buy a loud exhaust or drill out your baffles.

Now I think ear plugs are more of a hazard than anything. I find when I've worn them you can't hear noises from other people - which are big indicator signs. It drastically reduces your ability to communicate audibly with other people. A lot of times, a quick honk, or screech, or maybe a shout, or even emergency sirens - can make or break you.

With that said, I have a garbage helmet, and a pair of scorpions - so dB is a factor for me. What I actually found is noise cancelling headphones end up being great for the job. Even without using music, there is still a level of volume you can hear from the outside world. When I do use earplugs, its usually my SkullKandie headphones which contour perfectly to your ear, you don't notice they're there, and you can still hear fine without the loud muffler or wind in your helmet beating your eardrums.

But never, ever will i wear straight up ear plugs. I need to hear other drivers.

:rant:

I have a Shoei RF1100 helmet and with all the vents closed it does quiet it down A LOT. Only problem is you start to heat up in it.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah for sure, my first shoie helmet was amazing. When I got rid of it I went for an HJC and those things are garbage. Enjoy the crap out of your helmet man because it helps a lot.

I'm an open visor, wind in the face kinda guy so the wind usually doesn't bother me, I rather enjoy it - even when I'm going 80 on the highway.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah for sure, my first shoie helmet was amazing. When I got rid of it I went for an HJC and those things are garbage. Enjoy the crap out of your helmet man because it helps a lot.

I'm an open visor, wind in the face kinda guy so the wind usually doesn't bother me, I rather enjoy it - even when I'm going 80 on the highway.
I was the same until i got hit in the eye by a fly or something LOL, almost crashed my eye was so watery. Then i put on sun glasses and got hit again by a bee or something which fell almost in my mouth. Another accident avoided. NOW i sometimes roll with the visor up one click slightly cracked but im telling you bugs are after me!!!!!! :rolleyes:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I only wear earplugs on longer highway rides. I don't think they're safe in the city. Definitely makes life pleasant on the highway though, and I don't have a ringing head afterwards.

yamahog

Reaction score
Visit site
I come from cruisers so I like to wear plugs while riding...people always told me to baffle the pipes, but I couldnt make them understand that at highway speeds ( and beyond...) you dont hear the pipes, but the wind is abnoxious...I have almost always worked where earplugs are required...naval engine rooms, plants...etc. I dont find them uncomfortable (anymore), they are almost natural, and it sure makes the ride more comfortable and enjoyable...plus I can hear the motor better without the wind noise interferring. I just use the cheap foamies for riding, they work great and they are the most comfortable, I think.