I think I found the PERFECT frame sliders

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I order the T-Rex sliders about 2 weeks ago. The long one was 2.5" and short one was 2" from the frame. I decided I need a longer one because in case of a tip over or no speed fall, SOMETHING will get damaged because the sliders are not long enough. I looked into the Ebay extended version, but I believe they are a little too long and also they don't have the aluminum inserts.

So I began asking around, even here in the forum about how long each frame sliders are. I got little or no input, so I decided to ask the manufacturers directly. A lot of people talked about Motovation, but their sliders are only 2.5".

I email OES accessories and they said theirs are also 2.5", but you can get the EXTENDED version (about an inch longer) by putting a note in the comment sections. It would cost $8 more and in the note you just state you're ok with the extra cost for the extended version.

I received the OES frame sliders today, I got the 2" wide version (instead of the 1.75") because I thought they might offer more protection. Some of you may prefer the less wide version though. They seem really sturdy. I've attached pictures comparing the T-rex and the OES. I wish I can show you how the difference they feel in your hands, it's totally different.

I will post the picture later once it's installed on the bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The real test on how well your slider work is in a real crash when your bike goes sliding down the road.

I was amazed how Chemikers sliders which I think were Motivations performed so well when he went down.

And my recent Opps:spank: posted in my "I had to rely on my safety gear tonight" showed how that my bike went practically undamaged after experiencing a 20 feet slide thanks to my Uncaged Frame Sliders.

I think the key to how well they perform is the bolt! Does it snap off or does it stay intact under the stress?

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Installed pictures. OEM bolt was a biatch to take off, I had a little allen key wrench. Didn't have a torque wrench, so I hand tight best I could. I don't think I overtightened, once I can get my hand on one I'll torque it to spec. Pretty sure it's not going anywhere though.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, now I have no use for the T-Rex. I'm willing to sell it for $15 shipped. My first consideration will be locally (Chicago), but after no offer I will ship anyway in U.S. PM me if anybody is interested.

aaronshum

Reaction score
Visit site
Longer may not necessarily be better, as they are more prone to snap.

I had a lowside on Motovations and it's amazing how the entire bike balanced on the slider when it went down, just ended up bending it, but saving the rest of the bike.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
would you be able to provide a link to those bigger, longer, better frame sliders? :D

Yamaha FZ6 Frame Sliders

Once there you'll have the option of diameter size, shape & color. To get the EXTENDED version you have add to cart, then write in the comment section that you want the EXTENDED version and that you authorize the extra charge on your credit card ($7 extra). So the total cost would be $45+$8shipping = $53.

As to aaronshum's comment regarding longer sliders, I believe this is the ideal length, especially if you decided to get the 2" diameter. I definitely doubt the T-Rex would save the bike especially from the right side. Look how short it is!

I would love to see someone (besides me) with this sliders and lay it on the side....

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
In this case I dont think longer is better. I have seen pictures of major frame damage due to long sliders. The longer they are the more leverage they will have when they have force applied to them. I use the Motovations. They proved themselves to me when I crashed. Little damage to the bike. I think they must pivot just in the right place. I don't think I would have had the minor marks on the frame if it had not gone into some gravel.

Frame sliders are named so for a reason. They are not "fairing sliders". It's not to prevent rash to the frame. If you crack/bend your frame, there goes your bike. Or at least, it will become one very expensive fix.

framedamage.jpg

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Frame sliders are named 'frame' sliders because they are attached to the frame, as opposed to axle sliders, fork sliders, etc. At least that's what I think anyway.

As I wrote earlier and I reiterate again, I believe this frame sliders would be beneficial in a tip over and no/low speed crash. I believe they will completely protect the fairings and handlebars. As to the mid/high speed crash, I really don't know what's going to happen. I still think it's going to provide protection and won't crack the frame. It's really not that much longer (look at the extended ebay ones) and the extra width would really help in that respect. Again, I bought this for tip over situation, in a really bad accident I'll let the insurance deal with that.

Here's pictures of me on my ex500 before I traded in for the FZ6. Besides the slightly scratched left mirror, absolutely no damage. I traded it in the same day! *I had the extended ebay sliders*

Last edited:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still 'lolling' about that too. Lesson learned though, make sure the kickstand is actually down. Sometimes they bounce back up :BLAA:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
....... I definitely doubt the T-Rex would save the bike especially from the right side. Look how short it is!

I would love to see someone (besides me) with this sliders and lay it on the side....

I can confirm that the T-Rex is too short on the right side - I went down at 5-10mph due to gravel and the corner of the fairing/headlight touches down - the eyebrow (mole) rashed and cracked and the front fairing cracked....much better than nothing at all but I got longer sliders to replace them afterward. The extended sliders also make it easier to rest your legs on them :)

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
Longer may not necessarily be better, as they are more prone to snap.

I had a lowside on Motovations and it's amazing how the entire bike balanced on the slider when it went down, just ended up bending it, but saving the rest of the bike.

My 07 came with Motivations on it, which the guy had put on AFTER he dropped it and paid to fix it at the dealership (ouch $$).

I'm hoping that you're right, and that I never have to find out :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can confirm that the T-Rex is too short on the right side - I went down at 5-10mph due to gravel and the corner of the fairing/headlight touches down - the eyebrow (mole) rashed and cracked and the front fairing cracked....much better than nothing at all but I got longer sliders to replace them afterward. The extended sliders also make it easier to rest your legs on them :)
Careful with extended sliders, I has a set that bent in half when I dropped my bike in the icy weather last year.

Nelly

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
In this case bigger is not better, and all the extra width will do is keep them from wearing down as fast if your bike does go down sliding, as someone else mentioned the frame sliders are designed to protect the frame, wih that extra length i would be very worried about snaping the bottom of the frame off just like what happened with someone else bike that just posted a couple of days ago, and his bike just fell over when the frame broke, not ridin and fell over sitting still fell over. I dont know if he had extended sliders or not but either way it broke the frame from just falling over and with the extra leverage your chances are now that much higher for this happening to your bike especially since there is a gap between the slider and the frame, and once your frame is cracked or.chiped your bike is totaled according to the dot and insurance companys, or a very expensive and time consuming fix. I completly under stand wanting to protect your plastics but they can be replaced relatively cheep compared to the frame. If i were you i would sell them and put the trexs back on, but thats just me and my .02¢

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like the guy said up there - It's the bolt that matters.

A crappy bolt and it bends or breaks tearing the frame apart. A good bolt, the slider stays put and gets torn to sh!t. Anyone can mold a donut but the good ones will have a quality fastener and filler inside the FZs frame.

It'd be interesting to inquire about the shear strength of the fastener used by each vendor!!! :rolleyes:
Its not like the fleebay specials come with even a basic ARP bolt quality. . .

Example; heres a 0.375" bolt with 24 threads per inch.

Shear Capability (lb) as in pulling the head off sideways. . . (not stretch from torque)
SAE Grade 5 - 8280
SAE Grade 8 - 10050
ARP Fastener - 10490
SPS Fastener - 11930
MS14181 - 14580
SPS Fastener - 17230

There is good range depending on the quality needed and the price paid. Sorry - didn't have time for Metric thread check.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I order the T-Rex sliders about 2 weeks ago. The long one was 2.5" and short one was 2" from the frame. I decided I need a longer one because in case of a tip over or no speed fall, SOMETHING will get damaged because the sliders are not long enough. I looked into the Ebay extended version, but I believe they are a little too long and also they don't have the aluminum inserts.

So I began asking around, even here in the forum about how long each frame sliders are. I got little or no input, so I decided to ask the manufacturers directly. A lot of people talked about Motovation, but their sliders are only 2.5".

I email OES accessories and they said theirs are also 2.5", but you can get the EXTENDED version (about an inch longer) by putting a note in the comment sections. It would cost $8 more and in the note you just state you're ok with the extra cost for the extended version.

I received the OES frame sliders today, I got the 2" wide version (instead of the 1.75") because I thought they might offer more protection. Some of you may prefer the less wide version though. They seem really sturdy. I've attached pictures comparing the T-rex and the OES. I wish I can show you how the difference they feel in your hands, it's totally different.

I will post the picture later once it's installed on the bike.

I've got those and I'm real fond of them. I have yet to slid my bike or myself down the street to test them, and I'm not sure frame sliders help the frame in every situation, but I think they'll spare damage to a lot of parts in most situations, and I like how they look.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
If you guys are interested in replacing the bolt on the frame sliders, you could call Fastenal or Grainger (I used to work at a Fastenal store) -- they can get you whichever one has the highest shear strength.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for doing my homework for me pulled the trigger on the extended 2inch OES sliders. I learned my lesson the hard way 20 years ago plastics cost a lot more back then.....