I need a glove recommendation please!

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

So it appears I have small palms and long fingers, which has made finding a full gauntlet glove a huge pain. So far I've tried to Alpinestars SP-1 and the Dainese Pro Carbon gloves. The large fits great in the palm, but the index fingers were too short.

I know gloves will stretch out, but I rode almost 1000 miles with the SP-1's and they physically hurt. When moving up in size the palm bunches too much.

Anyone else have this problem? I wish there was a giant store I could try on a bunch of gloves, but the only place relatively close is Cycle Gear and their selection leaves a lot to be desired. Have been doing mail order and am at the end of my rope.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out Held gloves Held USA - Home. Some of the gloves they manufacture are available in long and short finger models.

I have 3 pairs of held gloves (Steve II, Airstream and Warm n' Dry) and they are great (fit like a glove :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:)

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

So it appears I have small palms and long fingers, which has made finding a full gauntlet glove a huge pain. So far I've tried to Alpinestars SP-1 and the Dainese Pro Carbon gloves. The large fits great in the palm, but the index fingers were too short.

I know gloves will stretch out, but I rode almost 1000 miles with the SP-1's and they physically hurt. When moving up in size the palm bunches too much.

Anyone else have this problem? I wish there was a giant store I could try on a bunch of gloves, but the only place relatively close is Cycle Gear and their selection leaves a lot to be desired. Have been doing mail order and am at the end of my rope.

Have you ridden in the rain with them? I had a similar situation with my gauntlets a few years ago- I bought them a size smaller than I normally wear because my size didnt fit right. They were really tight (and hurt really bad) and refused to break in, even after a few thousand miles. I was pretty stubborn though and kept thinking maybe they would break in. I rode in the rain for about 150 miles and let them dry out when I got home and they have fit perfect ever since.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ridden in the rain with them? I had a similar situation with my gauntlets a few years ago- I bought them a size smaller than I normally wear because my size didnt fit right. They were really tight (and hurt really bad) and refused to break in, even after a few thousand miles. I was pretty stubborn though and kept thinking maybe they would break in. I rode in the rain for about 150 miles and let them dry out when I got home and they have fit perfect ever since.

I didn't want to do this because it would 100% mean I could never return the glove to a store if it didn't work. I also read that getting leather super wet to form fit you will degrade it's quality, and I just wasn't comfortable taking that risk. Not sure how accurate that is though.

Appreciate all of your responses!

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of Medium - Tourmaster Polar Tex 2.0 Gloves that work well for my shorter fingers. they are waterproof and and stay very warm in the coldest temps so far. But they are for all purpose riding, I dont know if you meant something that can be used at track. Happy hunting.

harfooz

Reaction score
Visit site
I can also recommend Held's gloves. Their fit works well for me, and you can drop them a note directory or call their place to ask for some advice.

(Their Held Freezer gloves are terrific in the winter!)

'fooz

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
I have over 5000 miles on my Held Thrux gloves and the fit is perfect. I have large, skinny hands with longer thumbs and these were the only gloves I tried on that fit initially. The fitment gets better on these gloves as you ride more, and since they have a kangaroo palm, if you get them wet, the quality doesn't degrade. They form more to your hand after getting wet and all of the stitching has not frayed.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
google motoport and check out his racing gloves. They are made of Kevlar and can be custom made to fit your hand. They aren't cheap but they are an excellent glove according to riders that have them.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem with small palms and long fingers (and finger nails... :)). My best gloves - Alpinestars Octane. I have to buy another pair as I'd be devestated if something happened to the ones I'm using now. I also have the Alpinestars SP-1 and the fingers aren't quite long enough. They can hurt a little. I might have to get Mike to wear the gloves in for me - just stretch them a little. The next size up was too big for me.

I really don't like other gloves, except 5 - they are awesome but a lot of money $$$. How much are you willing to spend?

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm still not comfortable in anything off the shelf!

Bought Dainese Druids that I THOUGHT might work, after 30-40 mins my hands were in pain. Tried Knox Handroid, no dice.

I've just contacted Held to see if they will make me gloves. They no longer do long fingered versions off the shelf. Those Motoport ones look OK, but there are no palm sliders. I'd feel more comfortable with a bit more protection.

Even went to my local moto shop (Motochanic in West New York... great people by the way) and they pretty much told me I was out of luck. I just have wacky hands.

What a friggin' hassle. I will spend $300-400 as long as they fit me right.

Last edited:

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I think in your case (long fingers and such) it would be best to buy a glove that fits snug, but not too tight.
Then go home and do the dishes with them on..(Warm water) and soak them good.
Then go for a ride, so you can form them to your hand, and shape them for riding.
This basicaly make the leather softer and more stretchy, that will allow you to form them to your long fingers better,.
Once dry, they should hold the form.

Just like riding in the rain, but on purpose...

FWIW I buy Alpinestars and do basicaly just that, my pinkies are long too..

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I think in your case (long fingers and such) it would be best to buy a glove that fits snug, but not too tight.
Then go home and do the dishes with them on..(Warm water) and soak them good.
Then go for a ride, so you can form them to your hand, and shape them for riding.
This basicaly make the leather softer and more stretchy, that will allow you to form them to your long fingers better,.
Once dry, they should hold the form.

Just like riding in the rain, but on purpose...

FWIW I buy Alpinestars and do basicaly just that, my pinkies are long too..

I always wanted to try that, but was worried about the water taking away from the structural integrity of the leather.

Someone just told me that the Alpinestars GP Tech gloves run a little big, so a Large in those may suffice if I can get the fingers to stretch. The last pair of Dainese's I had also had a short pinky.

My main problem is that if the gloves are uncomfortable, I have a hard time focusing on the road. Appreciate your input!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I have large hands w/ freakishly long fingers. I wear size large SP-1s. It took 2 weeks to fully break them in.

Most of the stretching I did off the bike, poking my fingers out hard and pulling the palm back with my other hand. They fit like a glove now. Unless you work for a circus you should be able to stretch them with enough time and effort.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I have large hands w/ freakishly long fingers. I wear size large SP-1s. It took 2 weeks to fully break them in.

Most of the stretching I did off the bike, poking my fingers out hard and pulling the palm back with my other hand. They fit like a glove now. Unless you work for a circus you should be able to stretch them with enough time and effort.

I think I just need to work the leather more before giving up. I had those exact gloves. I remember the seams really digging into areas of my hand. Maybe I had a wacky pair.

After a LOT of talking and recommendations, I just bought a pair of Held Titans. They'll be coming in the mail shortly and I hope to break them in and finally be done with the crazy searching.

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never noticed any difference in structural integrety after a good soak.
I'm sure most glove makers realize that their outerwear has a good chance of getting wet durring its lifetime (I would hope at least)

Besides, most farmers leave their cows out in the rain without much trouble..:D

Worst case I think you could always soak, then stretch the pinki with the handle of a wooden spoon on the inside of the glove, though I havent had go that far myself..

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't want to do this because it would 100% mean I could never return the glove to a store if it didn't work. I also read that getting leather super wet to form fit you will degrade it's quality, and I just wasn't comfortable taking that risk. Not sure how accurate that is though.

Appreciate all of your responses!

Two things:

1) if you want to make a saturday trip you could head up to Philadelphia and go to the RevZilla store, they carry just about everything and have extensive testing and reviews on all of the products that they carry. Im meaning to go there myself in the next month or so.

2) As far as form fitting leather, you can go ahead and get it wet to form it, then when it dries to your liking drench it in Leather Food and it wont degrade so much. They sell this stuff in Soccer shops for cleats/boots, and it works really well, especially for softer/more supple leather.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I just need to work the leather more before giving up. I had those exact gloves. I remember the seams really digging into areas of my hand. Maybe I had a wacky pair.

After a LOT of talking and recommendations, I just bought a pair of Held Titans. They'll be coming in the mail shortly and I hope to break them in and finally be done with the crazy searching.

How did your gloves turn out?