I hit a deer

jb1390

Reaction score
Visit site
In the head, at about 50-60 mph, with my left knee.

Didn't touch the bike anywhere that I could tell.

I'm glad it was a doe!

All that was going through my head, was that I FINALLY got the bike to go straight -and I was about to wreck it on a $%$&ing deer-I never see them when I have a gun in November-but now that I'm on my bike and it's the LAST time I would ever want to see one, here she comes out of the woods running across the road!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
so wait, you kept it up and no damage?!
(celebration or consolation will be dolled out upon ur answer :D)

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you made it through unscathed. I had a close call last week; mother and two does. I dropped down a gear and the luckly the babes heard me and didn't follow their mother across the highway, otherwise they would have been right in my line.

jb1390

Reaction score
Visit site
so wait, you kept it up and no damage?!
(celebration or consolation will be dolled out upon ur answer :D)

Kept the bike up no problem-didn't even really hurt my knee. I possibly could have swerved to completely avoid hitting-but I've seen too many cases in cars where the choice was the deer or a telephone pole/tree. I'll take my chances with the deer, even on a bike, and I wanted the bike to be straight up, not leaning in a turn, if I were to hit.

No damage whatsoever-and I guess the deer was ok too, it wasn't there when I went back to check. I was kind of hoping for venison :)

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the title should be renamed to "I just kicked a deer in the face because I'm so awesome..."

Glad everything's okay, though!

jb1390

Reaction score
Visit site
What were you wearing?

I was wearing a leather jacket, gloves, jeans with fleece underneath, and boots.

It happened so fast, I didn't really have time to get scared. I did have enough time to let out a choice word or two, but that was about it. I was worried mostly about the deer hitting my arm and causing me to lose control, so I pretty much just braced tight hoped she was a slow deer so she wouldn't quite make it in front of me.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
This thread made me think of Highlander.

"there can be only one"

I wonder what deer quickening is like.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Kept the bike up no problem-didn't even really hurt my knee. I possibly could have swerved to completely avoid hitting-but I've seen too many cases in cars where the choice was the deer or a telephone pole/tree. I'll take my chances with the deer, even on a bike, and I wanted the bike to be straight up, not leaning in a turn, if I were to hit.

No damage whatsoever-and I guess the deer was ok too, it wasn't there when I went back to check. I was kind of hoping for venison :)

You obviously did the right thing. In my experience everytime you swerve to miss them they ALWAYS run exactly where you swerve! Glad your'e okay man!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
You obviously did the right thing. In my experience everytime you swerve to miss them they ALWAYS run exactly where you swerve! Glad your'e okay man!

This is true. I've had so many near deer misses in my car that I now instinctively TRY to hit them if they are standing in the road and honk the horn a lot of fast short beeps and they always move. If you try to swerve there is no telling when they will bolt right into your new path.

Good keeping your cool! You did get lucky though.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you kept it up!!

A buddy and I had a near miss the other night, we NAILED the brakes and deer were running everywhere...a few managed to scatter in between his cbr and my fz :eek:

remember, its that time of year!! leaves and deer!