I have been away for a while

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I hurt my back again and haven't worked since May 28th. I was going to have my back fused, but I didn't have to it fused. I have had 2 surgeries for herniated discs, and this was going to be my third. So after this third surgery I will have to give up riding. My son who is 15 will get my bike after he gets his license and endorsement. I'm hoping some years down the road to be able to ride again. I will still be visiting the forum!!

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im sorry to hear about ur back! but to STOP RIDING!! damn that would kill me...i would go through some serious withdrawal!:spank:

just get a can am sypder!! lol no leaning just steering

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with riding will be the vibes from the road from the bumps and such, and all the stress the body takes when riding. I have been addicted to riding, as I rode my bike everyday since I got my endorsement. I'm going to really miss riding. I would never ride a can am, don't like the look much.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very sorry to hear that. We never got to ride together. Your health is more important than riding unfortunutly or fortunutly however you want to look at it. Be sure to keep in touch and I am sure you will be riding again.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very sorry to hear about your back troubles. Hang in there. It is good to know your FZ will go to your son. You can teach him many things with just the wisdom you've acquired over the years. I've taught my son many tips on riding. Eventually he even admitted he listened very carefully when I would coach him.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats terrible news, but I hope the third time is the charm.

I understand where you are coming from tho, in my mid teens I hurt my knee, something called ozgood shlaughter. The doc told me I could never skateboard again or I would be walking around in circles the rest of my life. Just compressing my knees was pinching the growth nerve in my knee, damage that and it would stop growing.

It killed me to have to give it up as it was my life at the time, thats all I did.

Good luck on the surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery. I bet your son is chomping at the bit for your bike!

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Very sorry to hear that. We never got to ride together. Your health is more important than riding unfortunutly or fortunutly however you want to look at it. Be sure to keep in touch and I am sure you will be riding again.

Yeah I wish we could have gone for a ride, maybe down the road I will be able ride again, I'll still be around on here.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Very sorry to hear about your back troubles. Hang in there. It is good to know your FZ will go to your son. You can teach him many things with just the wisdom you've acquired over the years. I've taught my son many tips on riding. Eventually he even admitted he listened very carefully when I would coach him.

Right now my son long boards everywhere, and he has been hit by 2 cars that didn't stop before pulling out of driveways, so he is learning where to look and how to react to stuff like this. I'm hoping his skills he is learning on the long board will help him when he learns how to ride the fz6.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats terrible news, but I hope the third time is the charm.

I understand where you are coming from tho, in my mid teens I hurt my knee, something called ozgood shlaughter. The doc told me I could never skateboard again or I would be walking around in circles the rest of my life. Just compressing my knees was pinching the growth nerve in my knee, damage that and it would stop growing.

It killed me to have to give it up as it was my life at the time, thats all I did.

Good luck on the surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery. I bet your son is chomping at the bit for your bike!

He is already looking at mods for it now, lol.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man.. very sorry to hear this. Sincerely hope the surgery goes well and you'll be able to get back to riding sooner than later.
You'll have very good justification for a high end seat and Ohlins shock :D

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man.. very sorry to hear this. Sincerely hope the surgery goes well and you'll be able to get back to riding sooner than later.
You'll have very good justification for a high end seat and Ohlins shock :D

+1 :thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about you having to give up riding. That would be a tough one for me.

There are alternatives to fusion called total disc replacements. We make some, but they are not approved by FDA yet. We're working on it, but FDA isn't easy to navigate these days. SpinalMotion

Until then, you have some options as there are other approved discs out there. Is this in your cervical or lumbar spine? Talk to your doctor about alternatives to fusion, and if he doesn't do disc arthroplasty, search around for someone close to you who does.

Good luck!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Richard,

To totally stop riding? I've been riding a cruiser lately, it's a surprisingly very smooth ride. You should look into it.

Make sure your soon takes the MSF. As long as he's 15.5 years old, I believe he's old enough to take the class with you signing off on the waiver.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would a Ohlins shock really dampen the ride?

It'll give you control over how slowly or quickly you want the shock to rebound after it takes a hit. Certain level or rebound damping is built into OEM shock.. it's just not adjustable.
If you currently run high preload, it will certainly help on bigger bumps, but it can't do anything for vibration. Different motorcycle could help with that though. :D

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
It'll give you control over how slowly or quickly you want the shock to rebound after it takes a hit. Certain level or rebound damping is built into OEM shock.. it's just not adjustable.
If you currently run high preload, it will certainly help on bigger bumps, but it can't do anything for vibration. Different motorcycle could help with that though. :D

Maybe you should go electric? :eek:
Seriously, there are some awesome electric bikes out there....
Mission Motorcycles (but I think, if these will be available, they will cost +$35.000 :D)
Zero Motorcycles (not that fast, but they look nice :))
Mavizen TTX02 (210 kph, 0-100kph in -5sec, though the price is a little high: $40.600 exc. VAT :eek:)
Brammo Empulse (100+ mph, 59ft-lb torque, 40kW, 100 miles radius. Price: $13.995)

Grtz,

Degake

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Richard,

To totally stop riding? I've been riding a cruiser lately, it's a surprisingly very smooth ride. You should look into it.

Make sure your soon takes the MSF. As long as he's 15.5 years old, I believe he's old enough to take the class with you signing off on the waiver.

My son is going to take the MSF course after he gets his license, he is eager to ride, but he is having fun long boarding for now. I wanted to take the class with him, but I don't know about it now. He turns 16 in Feb, and he is looking forward to riding. I was thinking about a cruiser too, but I don't really like the looks of them, except the high end ones.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about you having to give up riding. That would be a tough one for me.

There are alternatives to fusion called total disc replacements. We make some, but they are not approved by FDA yet. We're working on it, but FDA isn't easy to navigate these days. SpinalMotion

Until then, you have some options as there are other approved discs out there. Is this in your cervical or lumbar spine? Talk to your doctor about alternatives to fusion, and if he doesn't do disc arthroplasty, search around for someone close to you who does.

Good luck!

Thanks for the link, I like the idea of still having movement. I don't have to have the fusion yet, but if the surgery that I had 2 weeks ago doesn't work, then I will have to have the fusion. The bad disc is between l4 and l5 lumbar. I'll talk to my dr about the replacement disc.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear but don't give up hope of riding again. Of course you know we have a great family here so keep up to date with us! :D