I cant work out how to fit the tail light

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing a new rear grab bar and tail light install in a few weeks. I have to get the new grab rail painted so the original grab rail and lights are still functioning on the bike.
I have also bought on line, a led tail/brake light with a smoked lens.
Tonight I tried to put the light into the grab rail/tail and I'll be blowed if I can find a way to get it to fit.
Can someone tell me "Do I need to pull the tail light down to reflector and lens and kind of fit them and then press them back together?".

There are some plastic clips on the lens but I don't want to risk breaking them if thee is some trick I cant work out
any help...much appreciated
thanks
Ade

Last edited:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a PITA isnt it Ade,I put one in my first FZ , took a while to get it to fit , I think I had to go in on an angle but I just cant remember, good luck mate.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you remember how the old one came out? Obviously, reversing the procedure should do it..

I haven't ever pulled mine, but it shouldn't be that hard.

Can you compare the new one to the old one, just to make sure there's NO added tabs, slightly too big, etc...

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
it's a right royal pain in the dot
I'll have to take the stock one off the bike and compare to the new one I was hoping it'd be an easy conversion[emoji35][emoji36]
Should be just two screws!!! I figure it has to fit pretty easy

At least now if it won't fit I can get a refund- lucky I didn't wait until I was about to fit the freshly painted grab rail
my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Often (I do not know for the FZ), alot of body parts will click in only one way with tabs, etc, then a screw or two secure it in BUT the tab's do most of the "holding".

The newer FJR's', 2013's and up, Yamaha eliminated most of the screws, just tabs for most of the body panels, etc. One or two screws doing the final securing (keeps the panel from moving), the "tabs" doing most of the work.

Very easy to break until you figure out the "procedure".

tigrtraps

Reaction score
Visit site
It will fit, but it will damn near feel like you will break the tail to get it in.

I also put in a smoke LED brake light. I just kept messing with the angle, and pushed on it hard. Then I replaced that tail with a new tail, and had to repeat the process. As with anything, push on the firmest parts of the brake light. I almost wonder if some lithium grease would of been worth the mess, make that light slip in easier.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It will fit, but it will damn near feel like you will break the tail to get it in.

I also put in a smoke LED brake light. I just kept messing with the angle, and pushed on it hard. Then I replaced that tail with a new tail, and had to repeat the process. As with anything, push on the firmest parts of the brake light. I almost wonder if some lithium grease would of been worth the mess, make that light slip in easier.

I agree, some "lube" would make it easier to install but instead of something as messy and the longevity of grease.

I would likely use glass cleaner or soapy water (like mounting a tire on a rim).

It'd help mount it, but will evaporate, not collect crap and best yet, won't allow the part to come out too easy..

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a huge PITA 1st time you take it apart!!!

I'm assuming you already have grab bar off and are only stumped with the "take the tail light out" part.

Hold the grab bar against your chest and pull apart on both handles it'll spread just enough to get the light out.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That makes sense! It's actually a (new to me for painting) second hand grab rail tail and new light . haven't tried a removal of parts as the original bits are still on the bike I'll have a proper look in the morning- thanks

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For pulling out the old part, if its installed that tight(has to be rubber mounted at some point I would think), I would spray where ever its tight with WD40 to make removal a little easier.

Same idea as removing your spark plug caps. The rubber gets stiff and doesn't want to release. As I've noted previously, a little bit of di-lectric grease on the plug caps (where it meets the valve cover) makes LATER removal and installation MUCH EASIER...

For the tail light, WD40 (VS grease) to soak in there and help slip the assembly out...That's the thought/idea...