I cannot be FZ6inNH any more!

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the feeling mate.I was in the bike shop yesterday and the same bike( cobalt blue 08 fz1) was calling to me. I managed to resist though seeing as I ust spent a bindle modding my 6! Still I might go and test ride it every weekend!

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, she will drink more and does hold less, but I'll have to try and be kind with the throttle. That's going to be the tough part though! ;)

We did to about 50 miles after we got them home.

First, ths FZ1 is a BEAST! She is got a growl about her that makes my head spin. Of course, I have to break her in proper so I won't know the full potential until we get some miles on her. Tonight though? What an incredible difference in handling with the inverted forks and the "right" to adjust them! The FZ1, while wider and heavier, is just as nimble and flickable through the corners as the FZ6. The ergos are close to the FZ6 and the stock seat isn't great but it IS better than the stock FZ6 saddle.

Power: Unbelievable difference in the liter bike. I knew it had more but it seems to be a lot more than I could have imagined.

Clutch is smooth! Shifting is slightly clunky in the 1st and transition to 2nd but not nearly as clunky as the FZ6. Did I mention how smoooooooooth the clutch was? :D

This bike is a killer out of the hole. The FZ6 could do a pretty good standing start but it was a lot of "work" when you compare it to the FZ1. This bike is effortless when you attempt ZERO to TICKET and that is in first gear alone!

My first twist of the throttle, not full, not fast, just rolling on it smoothly? I have a new found appreciatation for Yamaha and the term "Hold on!" because she will launch from under you if you don't have a firm grasp of her and your feet dug in!

More after I get some more miles on her....

My only regret is that GREAT Top Saddlery seat not only can't fit but also went with the FZ6. Someone is going to get a SWEET deal when they get "the other woman" from that dealer!

Time to do mod hunting!!!

Well, you mirrored my review in my BEAST thread. I have a brand new Micron for sale btw. Also get a Sargent seat. FCE is not needed for 07+ but will still make a 10bhp difference in the midrange. Ya stock seat is definitely good. Actually the FZ1 is effectively 15 lbs heavier but actually feels lighter because of the power difference and handles much much better. Litre bikes do growl and rumble a bit. Put the micron then you will hear it rumble, growl, howl, whistle. Much like a Triumph triple.
Remove the AIS, put the micron, degut the CAT and the FZ1 becomes close in weight to the stock FZ6. The FZ1 stock exhaust weighs a ton

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have wanted the FZ1 since the second I first saw it. A friend has a 08 red for sale with a Yoshi, tail tidy and screen for a great price but alas... no money... :(

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Holy Cow! Seems like all of the "Old Guard" is moving on to liter bikes. WOW! Well all I can say is what an OUTSTANDING choice. What a beautiful bike. I bet it is a gas to ride. :thumbup: Congratulations! :cheer: :rockon:

So you going to pull double duty and mod over at our sister site too?

Um, I've been considering a bigger bike lately as well. Don't know why. Maybe I need to do some more mods...

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the upgrade Eric - definitely a nice ride with way more motor. Maybe you should have gone with FZinNH and dropped the number designation in case you ever want to downsize.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats man, the FZ1 is an amazing bike!!! Now go on and replace that stock exhaust with an Akropovic. Looks so much better, and sounds killer too.

akra.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow i can honestly say that i did not see that coming.... so let's get this straight....

Go to dealer with v-star a week ago, get very mad at the dealer and jump through hoops to get the v-star fixed. Go to pick up v-star with FZ-6. say... Keep the v-star and by the way take the FZ6 back too....

Leave with FZ1 and FZ6R?

very nice bike, and i can't wait to try them (both) out :)

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice new ride!:thumbup: The one thing I love about a litre bike is the torque! It's sooo nice doing roll-on's and not waiting for a powerband.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just promise us that you're still going to be around here! I know I've gleaned a ton of information out of your posts and enjoyed reading the stories, so no disappearing act, ok? LOL.

Those are two sweet bikes, for sure! I love the looks of the FZ1 and that's cool the you don't have to perform the dual headlight mod...I didn't know the FZ1 came all set up like that. And as much as I want to kick my own butt for saying this, everything I'm hearing says the FZ6R is a GREAT bike in it's own right. I finally got to sit on one a few weeks ago at the local dealer and I have to say, it's got a nice feel and I liked the lower seat height.

Break that baby in right and make sure you let us know how things are going. :thumbup:

Thanks again all! And thanks CCH!

I'm not going anywhere, I promise. This forum is still the best out there. Besides, we still have an FZ6 in the family here, just has the R on it too! :D No, I'll be here to share knowledge, poke fun and raise questions. I do have to get on the two FZ1 forums though. I need to understand all that crazybiker was talking about! :rockon:

I was going to get the Sargent seat but after looking at the price of them, well, the TS seat is a LOT more attractive! I think I'll order it with the very same material selections as I had on the FZ6 since both bikes are the same color.

As for exhaust, I agree that the stock can is huge and ugly. I'll have to shop around. I did find one I really liked that was CF and much more discreet but it only comes as a fill exhaust at $1,500 cost. Well, I need the seat, sliders and FE Kit first so exhaust may have to wait for next year's bonus. ;)

Thus far, I really love this bike.

kevlarian

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe this should be an opportunity to MERGE the two boards (FZ6 + FZ1). I think it is a great marriage of sites. Anyone else think the same as I do on this one?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WHAAAAT ! , I never thought I would see the day ,lol

Seriously though nice choice Eric and glad to see you stayed with the faster blue model :thumbup:

Mick, I didn't think so either! I swore that the FZ6 that I had, with the mods I bought, was THE only bike I wanted. This was so spur of the moment and happened so fast that I didn't really have time for second thoughts. I feared waking up today and regretting my decision, but I don't. I feel a bit guilty for that for some odd reason. :eek: ;)

If I hadn't gone to the dragon with my FZ6, I'd still be 110% in love with her. But, one of the reasons I made this choice was because of that trip. I have preached before that I didn't feel I would find the limits of the FZ6 but out there on the Dragon's Tail, I did find the limits. Sure, I could have done the R6 forks, an Ohlin's rear shock, Bremmo brakes and steel lines, new supersport tires, etc.... But all at a cost.... a cost quickly adding up to a better equipped bike. I'd have really likes to get the R6 but I cannot do the ergos. The FZ1 came with the dual headlights, much better brakes, and a TON better suspension with some, but not all adjustments. This bike puts me more toward my goal. It really does handle VERY well and that was determined in the first 50 miles!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, you mirrored my review in my BEAST thread. I have a brand new Micron for sale btw. Also get a Sargent seat. FCE is not needed for 07+ but will still make a 10bhp difference in the midrange. Ya stock seat is definitely good. Actually the FZ1 is effectively 15 lbs heavier but actually feels lighter because of the power difference and handles much much better. Litre bikes do growl and rumble a bit. Put the micron then you will hear it rumble, growl, howl, whistle. Much like a Triumph triple.
Remove the AIS, put the micron, degut the CAT and the FZ1 becomes close in weight to the stock FZ6. The FZ1 stock exhaust weighs a ton

:D Ok crazybiker... a couple things are greek to me... Can you please elaborate on the Micron? Pics and price? Thanks!

As mentioned, price between the Sargent and TS rules them out. But Sargent WAS the first site I went to for a look last night! :thumbup:

I guess I have to get over to the other sites and start searching, eh? Thanks man!!