hyperpro for springs to hard

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
hy guys,fitted the popular hyperpro fork springs and 15 wt oil,dropped the yolks down the forks by 6 mm,but i find the ride is to harsh and the bike reacts over bumps instead of absorbing bumps,i know my original springs were shot as heavy braking bottomed the forks and i know what chatter feels like now,also static sag is different to the rear and ive notched the rear preload up to number five to equal the sag,i weight 14 stone and ride medium to fast,
iam thinking of ordering more washers say five per fork leg then cutting down the preload tube by the thickness of the five washers,this should give me some adjustment,with the five washers and the cut down tube should give me the ride i have at the moment,but give some adjustment to soften the front end
iam well impressed with mod but a little fine tuning to suit my weight and riding style would i think be well worth the effort
has anyone else come across this after fitting upgrade fork springs

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
what sag do you have on the front end?

maybe you could try a slightly lighter oil, though i have 15 in mine and it seems quite good

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed these springs and I am close to your weight, but I felt the fork was much improved, actually feeling smoother while still resisting brake dive. I used 15wt oil too. I wonder if something it not right, like the springs ate not sitting correctly or the forks are uneven, causing things to bind. Just a thought.

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
the bike feels fantastic now,it just it sits higher and ive had to adjust the rear preload to match the forks,i will measure sag when i get a chance,i think i just prefere a softer setting for fast road riding,its un-nerving hitting a bump when the bike's at full lean,
cheap suspension wont ever suit all conditions and riding styles,for track riding the extra height and stiffness would be fine,however i dont do enough track days and spend more time road riding where a softer setting and front end feel is more important,ps the springs were fitted last year and have had time to settle,
does anyone agree by shortening the preload tube and using shimming washer to tune the fork better for my style would be ok
nick

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
after a bit of digging i found the cure,it lies in oil weight,15wt oil is to thick for the first part of the spring rate(progressive spring)this is whats giving the jack hammer effect at lower speeds on unmade roads but at higher speeds and more aggressive use it feels fine,so iam going to try a 10wt oil,

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
so an update,replaced the 15 w oil with 10 weight and the ride is so much better and the forks are absorbing instead of reacting over the first part of fork travel,i have loads more feel and turn in is quicker,confidence is up,however i now have a little more dive under heavy braking and cant brake as hard and as late as before with the 15 weight oil,so now i have to compromise and i think a 12 weight will be next

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to consider fitting some Racetech Gold Valve Emulators, can get them including delivery to the UK for £110, I'm really considering them after changing my fork springs and oil a few months back, have a read up about them;

Emulators-How They Work

Yamahaboyz

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks very much,it seems the way forward,i take it the pre load tubes have to be cut a little to accept the extra length of the emulator under the spring,do you know if i can use the hyperpro springs i currently have fitted,do you know of any where in the uk that sells them
nick