Hyperlights question

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a pair of Hyperlights from ebay, $7.50!!!!!:rockon:

They were advertised as white lights but they have blue/brown wires which the Hyperlight websites describe as the red leds in their instructions. They are new replacement led modules so they do not have the flasher module.

Can I wire these directly to the power and ground wires going to my tailight bulb? Is the flasher module necessary? I don't care about flashing. Is there a way to test the lights to make sure they are red not white?

I e-mailed Hyperlights on Sunday but no word back except an auto response that we'll be in touch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that's a GREAT price! Congrats!

I've got a set of the 8-light modules on the back of mine (red, non-flashing), but I can't answer your question right off the top of my head. I do know that I used Posi-Tap connectors (I believe they came with the lights) and tapped directly to the brake light wires under the left side pod (if you're sitting on the bike).

I'll check mine here in a bit and see what I can find that might help you out. :thumbup:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a way to test the lights to make sure they are red not white?

Connect them to a 12 Volt supply. I think blue is positive, but it should not matter if you hook them backwards as they are diodes and so block reverse current. I just got a set with the modulating flasher module and have tested them numerous times directly from a 12 V power source (well actually 13.5 V to simulate actual operating voltage from the bike's electric system) to see how bright they are and they have not been damaged. They are blindingly bright, by the way, I kept seeing red spots when I closed my eyes after testing them.

I believe the above to be accurate, but just in case I am wrong, follow the above advice at your own risk.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! I could not believe the deal I found just randomly surfing ebay. You never know what you'll find.

I read somewhere that coonecting an led with out a resistor directly to a 12v source would burn them out. but I may be wrong and this may not be the case with hyperlites.

SirIssac, just to be clear when you tested them, was it the modules directly to the battery or via the flasher? I ask since I wonder if the flasher has a resistor in it.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to be a smart ass, but they were advertised as WHITE. They make a white set of running lights that most folks mount on their forks. The blue is typically the ground and the yellow is the positive. I just installed the three way set on my bike last night and they are really bright.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a fair question. I thought they would be the Hyper-Whites when I got them, but according the Hyperlite website info and photos, those modules come with white and brown wires, while the red Hyperlites come with blue and brown wires (which is what I received). Thus my question.
Ijust wanted to check them out before I splice into my bikes wiring.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I read somewhere that coonecting an led with out a resistor directly to a 12v source would burn them out. but I may be wrong and this may not be the case with hyperlites.

SirIssac, just to be clear when you tested them, was it the modules directly to the battery or via the flasher? I ask since I wonder if the flasher has a resistor in it.

You are correct, an LED needs a dropping resistor, but in this case they are built into the LED modules. I connected mine directly to 13.5 Volts with no problem. To be sure, I connected them through the flasher control module and measured the output from the module, and it was the full voltage when the brake light brightness was active.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! I'm looking forward to mounting these soon. Did you use the Hyperlite license plate bracket or some other way of mounting?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Spideyrex, I took a look at mine and they have the blue/brown wires. Mine are the non-flashing, brake light only version.

I mounted mine under the exhaust, but I have the Givi topcase rack that has the bracket that goes around the exhaust and I mounted them on the bottom of it. They've been on there for 3 years without a hitch until this season. I noticed recently that the top row of 4 LEDs on one have stopped working. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet, but I think they are just dead (in other words, the wiring isn't messed up and the bottom row on that same module works fine).

I'm just gonna replace them with a new set sometime soon, although I do wish you could buy just one module, but as far as I can tell, you can't. Using the troubleshooting guide on Hyperlite's website tells me that when the problem I've got occurs, the module needs to be replaced. But I'm not complaining...these things are rock solid and my GOD are they bright!

Here's a short video I made of them right after installing them. I've also got a Signal Dynamics BACK OFF brake light modulator installed so the brake light flashes 5 times and then goes solid when the brakes are applied. I love it and get lots of compliments on the setup!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Jfu7gNYak]YouTube - Hyper Lites in action with Back Off XP module[/ame]

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! I'm looking forward to mounting these soon. Did you use the Hyperlite license plate bracket or some other way of mounting?

I have not mounted mine yet. I did not get a hyperlight bracket. My intention is to mount them on the bottom of the license plate, using a bracket I plan to fabricate myself.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes! I installed my lights after ordering the license plate bracket. The crew at Hyperlights even threw in some Posi-Taps in for free! So basically I attached the bracket ran the wires through the factory fender, under the muffler along the existing signal wires. I tucked the wires under the plastic cover then taped in closed since it would no longer snap with the Posi-twists in there. I then tapped in the brake wires right by the relays under the left side pod. Super easy and I wired them directly, without the Hyperlights flasher relay (I didn't have one). Things worked like a charm and of course the photos don't do them justice. They come on only when the brake light is on.

DSC04636.jpg

DSC04637.jpg

DSC04632.jpg