how to ride at 60mph

desperate

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of my commute to work is along a and b roads where there is a lot of 60 mph cruising. I have been doing this in top but I find this to be equal to 5k revs where the bike is a bit buzzy. As a novice I tend to sit with the traffic as the roads are twisties and I don't want to push it yet. I have only 1200miles under my belt on big bikes.

How do you ride at this speed? drop down a cog or two and up the revs or is it only me that has this dilema.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This has been discussed before, but it really depends on you and what you want as far as performance from the bike in relations to your riding environment. For example, good fuel mileage, greater acceleration, decleration etc.

I generallly like to keep my bike around 7-8000 rpm. Most of my riding is around heavy traffic so it's very important for me to be in the correct powerband. I don't want to be caught in the wrong gear when I need to accelerate or decelrate real quick, because being in the correct powerband can be applied as one of your "outs" as a rider.

I never want to be caught in the wrong gear. One gear might be fine in one type of riding environment, but could be hazardous in another.

So 60mph usually means 4th or 5th gear for me here in Las Vegas.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
If I am going to be cruisng any length of time I try to get into 6th to save on gas. However you aren't going to have the same powerband in 6th so I try to balance out my need for the extra power to avoid situations that may develop. If I am in free flowing traffic then I plunk her in 6th if traffic gets heavy or there are a lot of asshats on the road then I may have it in 5th so I can get out of the way if need be.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
For me its situational. If I'm in heavy traffic I'll keep the rev's high so
  1. The throttle is much more smooth if quickly accelerating or decelerating, which is helpful when your head is on a swivel.
  2. You can get up and go if you need to.
If I'm in moderate to light traffic I'll put it in a higher gear and save the gas.

You also have to take into account weather conditions, your fatigue, among other things.

Should really come down to whatever you feel comfortable doing and having an escape route if you have a problem.

my $.02

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
The buzziness does get somewhat better as the bike matures. I'd say mine is 1/3 of what it originally was, at 10k miles.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Staying with traffic and in twisties I would drop into 4th. That way you have enough room to slow down without having to downshift a zillion times but you still have "go power" at 60mph. If you were on your own and just cruising I would be in 5th because I don't have to slow down so much in corners.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
If I am going to be cruisng any length of time I try to get into 6th to save on gas. However you aren't going to have the same powerband in 6th so I try to balance out my need for the extra power to avoid situations that may develop. If I am in free flowing traffic then I plunk her in 6th if traffic gets heavy or there are a lot of asshats on the road then I may have it in 5th so I can get out of the way if need be.

exactly, same here :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The buzziness does get somewhat better as the bike matures. I'd say mine is 1/3 of what it originally was, at 10k miles.

Yes i can atest to this, my FZ has now done nearly 17000km's and is smoother than it ever has been, once engine is truely run in, it seems to lose this buzziness.

I agree with others, riding in a lower gear, rather than a higher gear in traffic, or a crowded highway is a good policy, keep that motor spinning in it's area of maximum power & torque and it will give you better engine braking on throttle roll off, more power, more quickly when required, and it's better for the engine than lugging the bike around in a higher gear at low revs.

:thumbup:

pml1967

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to cruise with the traffic in 6th and read the road the ahead so that I can drop to a lower cog if I see something ahead that may need a swifter response from the throttle (all the way down to 3rd for a nippy overtake).

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
For me its situational. If I'm in heavy traffic I'll keep the rev's high so
  1. The throttle is much more smooth if quickly accelerating or decelerating, which is helpful when your head is on a swivel.
  2. You can get up and go if you need to.
If I'm in moderate to light traffic I'll put it in a higher gear and save the gas.

You also have to take into account weather conditions, your fatigue, among other things.

Should really come down to whatever you feel comfortable doing and having an escape route if you have a problem.

my $.02

+1 on this. It just depends on the situation. Lately I have found myself riding in a lower gear at a higher RPM and I think it's because I'm getting more comfortable with handling the instant acceleration that staying in the powerband allows.

It all boils down to whatever you are the most comfortable with and feel the safest with.

rainman

Reaction score
Visit site
As a rider with similar experience and a commute along A & B roads between 60-65 I find myself happier in 3rd or 4th for most of the trip. When I first got the bike, back in March, I rode like I drove - short shift to top gear and save on petrol. Now I drive like I ride, and am always being reminded by 'er indoors to shift the cage from 4th to 5th.
Much prefer the feel with higher revs and quicker throttle response!