How to protect a battery ?

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
How to protect a battery ?... what i mean is this is the second time in 2 days with use of bike ive gone to jump on ye olde machine n its just weezed to a hopeless whirring noise as the battery conks out completley ...
The battery was charged and tested by a yamaha dealer near me thankfully for free :thumbup: but its all gone silly now :confused:

I know its cold but surley after useing bike it should not just give up on me twice in such a short time :spank:

Is there a way of preventing this other than removing the battery every time i stop the bike arrrrrrr !!! ???

Battery health and performance can be affected for a number of reasons.

Leakage: Is there something draining your battery?
Charging system: Is the charging system performing to spec.

Additional current draw beyond charging system capability: Heated grips, Lighting?

Your bike will not charge just putting around town or very short trips. It needs some RPMs for a period to recharge.

There is a great deal of info here on the forum. Check out the search! :)

Battery health and performance can be affected for a number of reasons.

Leakage: Is there something draining your battery?
Charging system: Is the charging system performing to spec.

Additional current draw beyond charging system capability: Heated grips, Lighting?

Your bike will not charge just putting around town or very short trips. It needs some RPMs for a period to recharge.

There is a great deal of info here on the forum. Check out the search! :)

+1 on the above.

Just charging the battery to 12+ volts does NOT mean the battery is good.

Charge the battery, then get it load tested . Any automotive store/Walmart, etc will check it for free... I know you posted Yamaha checked it, did you see them hook it up and actually load test it? Or is it possible someone just checked the voltage with a voltage meter, saw 12.8 volts and said, yep, its good! BIG DIFFERENCE....

How old is the battery?

When my last battery was failing, voltage dropped to 8 volts when cranking but it still started. It would show 12+ volts sitting, turned off, no load..

Rule out the battery (not just charge it) that it WILL indeed, carry a LOAD...

If it does, put a volt meter across the terminals, start the bike and see if the charging system is putting out 13+ volts (max charging is at 5,000 RPM, around 14 volts. Stock (no accessories turned on), the bike at 1300 RPM, will charge just slightly )

Last edited:
think battery was possiblyas old as the bike ... didnt hold charge atall in ebd so bought a new one ... seems ok most time at mo :rolleyes:

thanks all for help here ... im sure it ll help others on theyre fazer mystery machines in future too :thumbup:

think battery was possiblyas old as the bike ... didnt hold charge atall in ebd so bought a new one ... seems ok most time at mo :rolleyes:

thanks all for help here ... im sure it ll help others on theyre fazer mystery machines in future too :thumbup:

Invest in a volt meter and put it on the battery terminals. It'll tell you alot about whats actually going on.

If voltage drops a bunch on cranking, sorry, you likely got a bad battery (it does happen). If its not charging, thats a different ball game and as Cliff mentioned, do a search.

He is the Electrical Giro and there are NUMEROUS POSTS re your issue.

Search under his posts or mine. There are literally dozens that I know of....

Please post what you come up with and good luck

Back