How-to guide for riding in the winter: corrosion/staying warm/not crashing

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Winter is coming.
Hoping to avoid any new threads on the subject, here's how I ride in the winter.....

Corrosion:
Use Corrosion Block aka ACF-50.
How to - Apply ACF50
You can order it online or buy it as a spray bottle at West Marine.

Staying warm:
Buy some heated gear.
Don't get non-heated winter gear. Just get the heated gear.
I'm fine with only gloves and jacket, no heated pants.
I prefer Gerbings. There are others that are good. Do some research.
Don't bother with heated grips or hand guards. Just get heated gloves.
Dial down the heated gear if you're in stop-and-go traffic.
If you've been using the heated gear a lot, put the bike battery on a tender at the end of the day.

Wear a balaclava if you have to.

Traction:
When it's really cold, like 40F and below, air your tires down 3 psi, but no less that 30psi.
I normally run 30psi (front)/ 33 psi (rear) when it's cold outside.

Learn how to be smooth in the turns. No sudden inputs.
Keith Code will help you get started. I should re-read these myself:
Code Break - Smooth Riding Moves - Motorcyclist Magazine
Code Break - The Harmonics of Smooth Riding - Motorcyclist magazine

Watch out for ice, melted snow that re-freezes and that frost that appears on the road early in the morning.
Ride when you can, but don't be stupid and ride in a snow storm (or right after one).
I avoid riding after dusk because the temperature drop may cause ice to form.

Fogging
Get a pinlock visor. It's the only thing that works.
Cat Crap anti fog treatment is a distant second.

That's it. Have fun!

Last edited:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on heated gear. I scored an aerostich heated vest on ebay, with SAE plugs that match my battery tender lead, and a buddy had an old thermostat he wasn't using.

I had no idea what I was missing. Heating your core, that all of your blood passes thru, keeps your extremities warmer as well. Excellent stuff. I hear many good things about Gerbings, just happened to get a swet deal on some other stuff.

Also, in my part of the country, don't forg DEER! See! They come out of the ditches really fast, you don't even have time to finish your sentence. Rut is on, hunters are out, and dawn/dusk are part of the commute time. It sucks.

flugeldan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, especially regarding ACF50. I looked up the suppliers in the UK from the ACF50 website and luckily one of them was in my village (SeaStart). They provided the product in many forms with great service and better prices than Amazon (12.99 for the spray, which, they said is unpostable).

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Good thread!

I ride all year, which I'll admit is easier in VA than it is further north. In January and February it is still close to 20F most mornings and sometimes it's in single digits. I still ride every day unless there is snow or lots of ice.

Battery
My original (2006) battery still sparks the bike up every morning without fail and I never use a battery tender. It cranks up fast even on 5 degree F mornings. If you don't ride your bike daily you will want to consider a battery tender.

Helmet/Shield
Shield fogging is a real problem when it gets cold. I have an HJC helmet and use a pinlock insert to battle this problem and it works great. Eye glasses or sunglasses will still fog if you wear them. While on the subject of shields... I would suggest avoiding tinted shields in the winter. With these short days you will end up in the dark more often. It sucks when you find that your only two options are riding blind because your shield is too dark or riding blind because your dark shield is up and your eyeballs are fressing solid. Many helmets have built in, drop down sun "shields." I suspect that these are great in the winter as long as you have a pinlock outer shield or some other anti-fog system.

pinlock...
pinlock.jpg

Clothing
I strongly agree with the comments on heated gear, though I don't own any yet. Maybe this winter (I say this every year.)
I simply layer up. My First Gear Kilamanjaro jacket does a great job keeping then wind and rain out, but I still need plenty of insulation.
A neck gator or similar is critical!

Last edited:

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
I need to put my heated grips on I got free when I signed up for a Ride magazine subscription.

As usual i've put it off thinking I don't need them yet, and now I NEED them!

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything else is fine but shield fogging is an issue. I used everything there is to prevent it but I found out if you just pop the visor a little bit or open the chin vent, that HELPS.

Also get some good Under Armor balaclava head to neck. I also wear thermals and they help a LOT!

Given that, I am done riding year around after 3 years. It is just too much work and riding like that just on freeways is boring. I would rather hit the twisties when weather's good. I do have serious withdrawal symptoms though. Then I just man up and ride a few days until those wear off.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh cool, I could use that anti-corrosion stuff all year! Living near the coast in the mountains just destroys anything that isn't painted. I've got corrosion on my shift lever, the rear brake lever, many of the unpainted bolts, heck, just about everywhere. :( The other tips can apply to driving in cold as well. It's amazing how much traction is lost when it's 40F or less outside.