How many miles do you get out of a set of tires ?

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a set of tires 8 k miles ago, they were Pilot Power 2Ct. What is the averrage miles I should get from a set? I was hoping more than 8,000. At my age I can't belive I ride so hard that I can go through a set of tires that fast.

Thank You for any input

Doc

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I can only speak for the stock tires on the FZ. I squeezed 8300 miles out of 'em before I felt they needed to go. I should have pulled them off at 8k based on the condition they were in. I road the pilots on my Bandit until the rear was bald in the middle and squared badly. I don't know how long they'd been on the bike before I got them.

I'm hoping to get ~ 8k out of the Strada's I put on. I have to take care of a nail in my new rear tire first tho :( I'm riding harder these days as the weather is clear and I'm more confident. So, 8k may be optimistic :) We'll see.

smokenu

rubber side down
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 8200 on my stock dunlops and still going :thumbup: Next time I take it in for a check up I plan on putn on some new rubber

CarpeNoctumDC

Reaction score
Visit site
Heh... I don’t know about Pilot Power... I ripped my stock rear tire in half at 4500 miles.. Since then been less aggressive - but even with that just rolled over 20k and installed my 5th rear tire... So I've been averaging 5000 per rear and about twice that on the front... Then again almost all of my tires have been Battlax...

** Been doing a far amount of searching since i read your post... Wish I had known about these tires monday... From what I have read on the other forums 8k~ish is what a lot of people have been averaging... I think the highest I've run across is 8600

Now for a question: Is the preformance that much better out of them?

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I got some Power 2CTs last year and they're still going fine, but I had a 6 monthish repair period in there where I couldn't ride. I got the 2CTs over the regular Powers specifically so they wouldn't square off with all my commuting.

ldbiker99

Ride hard or go home
Reaction score
Visit site
I am running a Michelin Pilot Power on the front and A Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the rear the road 2 Has been on for 7500 miles and has a lot of life left and still holds in the corners Because of the Dual compound...

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got about 8500 on my Pilot Roads and they are bald and squared in the center. I think alot of my wear came from running a lower pressure on Deal's Gap trips. Anyway, I'm getting Road 2's next week and hope to get a little more out of them.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a set of tires 8 k miles ago, they were Pilot Power 2Ct. What is the averrage miles I should get from a set? I was hoping more than 8,000. At my age I can't belive I ride so hard that I can go through a set of tires that fast.

Thank You for any input

Doc

Seems about right to me. If it squared off badly you might want to do the string line alignment on it just to be sure, but if it's worn nice and evenly out to the edges then I reckon it's about right.:thumbup:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of this will depend on the tires compund as well as riding style... I don't know when my PR2s were put on but I have personally put 10k on them and they may be as high as 17k... Looks like they have a lot more life left in them as well.

They are more expensive tires but you get more life out of them so the cost per mile is probably lower.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
on most my old bikes 5-6k was about it.. the stock rear came off the fiz at about 5k the diablo that replaced it was about 3k the front was 8.5k now well see how bt021's do.. the tiger has about 4800 now and it will need it about 5k or so.. even if not i have pr2's on order and they are going on as soon as they get here.. if there is life left i will hold them as spares as they will fit either bike

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
By coincidence, I just finished checking my rear before I opened up this thread. I have 14K on my stock BT020. It's squared and the wear bars have just started indicating it's time to replace. I guess I'll put on, maybe, 500-1K more before I get around to replacing the pair with my new BT016's that I have already purchased. I am horrified by mileage that some of you are getting---not very good! I always try to not "jerk throttle" or skid---I think that might help squeeze more miles out of tires. I realize that some of you want to ride on more rubber than I, but CarpeNoctumDC---you only get 5k per rear? Geez.

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm starting to think that alot of people change tire prematurely. I can see changing early because you use them on the track, but for commuting, 5000mi seems kind of early. If any has pics of tires they took off after so little miles, I would love to see them.