How do you fill up

How do you fill up with fuel?

• Total voters

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Get out of here. Please. I don't believe it. Some scooter riders don't even have to wear a helmet. How do they gas up? Are your sure? Even CALIFORNIA doesn't require riders to keep helmet on when gas filling. California: where Prop 65 stickers are everywhere (ridiculous law).

Most California laws are ridiculous...(former Californian talking here).

Scooters under 50cc don't have to wear helmets or have an M1 license in Nevada either. Personally, I think they are stupid for not wearing them. Too many Californian drivers in Nevada.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! heehee

In Nevada, you can't take off you helmet now while filling up. I don't get why, but it is the law.

I find that hard to believe. Although I don't live in Nevada anymore, I don't understand what purpose that law would serve. And I find it hard to believe that the people I personally know who serves on the advisory committee of implementing or introducing new motorcycle laws would be responsible or be endorsing this law.

If anything, it would make more sense for it to be the opposite. You must remove your helmet when fueling.

ricecows

Reaction score
Visit site
Left side if I can get it but right if I can't. That's nothing to do with dominant side though. It's just that when the bike is on the side stand it's tipping over to the left and therefore you have less of the tank to contend with. On the right side you stand a chance of having to lay the hose across the tank which might scratch it.

Good points. I just sit on my bike when I fill it up, no need to use the stand at all :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The benefit of dismounting and refueling allows you to to a quick visual walk around inspection of your bike, especially your tires. When it's on the center stand and in neutral, a quick spin of the rear tire with your foot is what I like to do.

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
The benefit of dismounting and refueling allows you to to a quick visual walk around inspection of your bike, especially your tires. When it's on the center stand and in neutral, a quick spin of the rear tire with your foot is what I like to do.

Quite apart from the benefits of not dowsing your genitals in petrol if you get it slightly wrong

Reaction score
Visit site
Right handed, fill from the left with bike on centre stand. I will waste minutes brimming the tank as far as I dare every time, because the one time I didn't I ran too far into the reserve (again on the XJ-6, not the FZ6 which has better tank range) and then ran out of petrol completely. Nice two mile hike down to the station I passed thinking "nah, it'll be alright, the one after is only five miles away". :rolleyes:

The Fazer is good like that though, it's usually 160-170 miles before it hits the reserve. Not sure how much further you can go after that, yesterday I went about ten miles into the reserve but didn't dare push it more.

BWillie

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how much further you can go after that, yesterday I went about ten miles into the reserve but didn't dare push it more.

I went 40 miles into reserve once.

OyhBW2u3lA.gif

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never soaked my genitals while refueling. All it takes is a little common sense.

This space intentionally left blank.
Sometimes I soak mine while refueling to save time. This way they're soft and subtle when I get home.... :rolleyes:

Sent from Moto's Motorola

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wonder if there are any petro stations that have modified pumps or areas that are designed for motorcycles. For the time being, we share the same pumps with the cagers.

Unlike a car, the benefits of riding a bike, you can fill up at the pump facing any direction.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Wonder if there are any petro stations that have modified pumps or areas that are designed for motorcycles. For the time being, we share the same pumps with the cagers.

Unlike a car, the benefits of riding a bike, you can fill up at the pump facing any direction.
Maybe they could make ones similar to a carousel. Circular in shape and with many pumps in a small total area. You could fill up a lot more bikes on half the space!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe they could make ones similar to a carousel. Circular in shape and with many pumps in a small total area. You could fill up a lot more bikes on half the space!

I do not see businesses investing more money for the chance of very little return.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I do not see businesses investing more money for the chance of very little return.

A lot of it would depend on location and the number of customers it serves per day or per hour. If it's a gas station that commonly has people waiting while bikes fill up, then it wouldn't be a low chance of return. It would mean serving more customers in a shorter period of time, and would mean fewer people saying "I'll just get gas at a different station." Obviously it's not implemented anywhere, so it can't be that big of a deal, but that's not to say the idea doesn't hold merit.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of it would depend on location and the number of customers it serves per day or per hour. If it's a gas station that commonly has people waiting while bikes fill up, then it wouldn't be a low chance of return. It would mean serving more customers in a shorter period of time, and would mean fewer people saying "I'll just get gas at a different station." Obviously it's not implemented anywhere, so it can't be that big of a deal, but that's not to say the idea doesn't hold merit.

Also consider that motorcycles and mopeds are a vast minority of potential customers, I do not see it making good business sense, except for a few rare instances, like near a college town.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

It would depend on the location and demand. That Shell station at the bottom of ACH Highway comes to mind. At least on the weekends, I think they service more bikes than cars. It's crazy and can become a big cluster at time. If I was in a car, that's one station I would want to avoid. Investing a specific area for motorcycles for that station could pay off. Better utilization of space while maximizing the amount of customers you can accommodate with your given space.

Multiple Nozzles that dispenses from the ceiling in a circular pattern with one island each with their own independent payment option. I'm guessing you could get about 8 bikes around one circle facing all towards the centre of the island, kind of like a spoke on a bicycle rim.

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Also consider that motorcycles and mopeds are a vast minority of potential customers, I do not see it making good business sense, except for a few rare instances, like near a college town.

Just to be clear, my carosel-type idea was meant to be an add-on for already existing gas stations. I'm not sure if this changes your thinking on the idea, but I didn't mean a gas station just for motorcycles. I meant a circular fill-up area so motorcycles don't take up spots that cars could potentially use. :thumbup:

It would depend on the location and demand. That Shell station at the bottom of ACH Highway comes to mind. At least on the weekends, I think they service more bikes than cars. It's crazy and can become a big cluster at time. If I was in a car, that's one station I would want to avoid. Investing a specific area for motorcycles for that station could pay off. Better utilization of space while maximizing the amount of customers you can accommodate with your given space.

Multiple Nozzles that dispenses from the ceiling in a circular pattern with one island each with their own independent payment option. I'm guessing you could get about 8 bikes around one circle facing all towards the centre of the island, kind of like a spoke on a bicycle rim.

Exactly. This clearly would be a waste at most stations, but I could see it being a real time saver in certain places.

Last edited: