High beam garage door opener

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
A couple of folks asked for instructions over in one of the new member threads. In case that hijack wasn't noticed, here's a link. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/13865-newb-seeking-advice.html Good luck. It's pretty easy to set up or adapt.

Subsequently, Chemiker requested that I add the instructions here. The trick is knowing that a garage door opener only sends one signal, no matter how long you hold the button down... or in this case, no matter how long the high beam is switched on closing the controlling 12v relay.

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is great! I use a key fob opener and just had one burn out because it drowned. It cost me $30 to replace and as I was putting the new one on my keyring, I was thinking that it's just going to burn out again next rainy season.

This one can be well hidden inside the fairing and protected from the elements. I can also seal it into a waterproof case for that matter. Thanks!

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You should modify your original post in this thread to include the step by step instructions from your other post. A moderator can sticky this thread in the mods section for everyone to quickly pull up if interested in this mod.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
I just velcroed my Genie remote to the underside of the fuel tank no wires to run and it works great and does not get wet.

V

VDITRAINING

I just velcroed my Genie remote to the underside of the fuel tank no wires to run and it works great and does not get wet.

what about the road spray? doesn't that typically find every spot on a bike regardless of where it is? and what about washing the bike, are you removing it when you hose it down?

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
^I have had it there on two different FZ's over the past 3 1/2 years without any water issues. When I do wash my bike with water which is not often I leave it on the bike.

calltrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont have a service manual yet. New bike. FZ6R

where abouts would i find the high beam wires under the seat?

does it go into the master computer?

yellow wire is high beam at the switch.

IMG00184.jpg

IMG00185.jpg

IMG00186.jpg

mdd770

Reaction score
Visit site

Awesome.

I'm gonna try this, as the previous owner wired the lights to where a spare low beam on the other side is lit all the time. (both sides are lit on low)
High beam still goes to high, but I didn't want any foul ups to the high beam garage thingy.

Great idea!

ALF1971

Reaction score
Visit site
I ziptied my opener to the inside wires running in the fairing!!! if I lose it or stops working due to rain or water I ll try this mod!!!

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this mod, but decided to use the horn. I can usually hit the horn quickly enough that it is very quick and relatively quiet.

I created 2 adapters using crimp "blade" connectors so that i did not have to modify or tap into stock wiring (see attached image).

In the attached image, I would unplug one of the wires from the horn, plug the male blade connector (A) of my adapter to the female connector if the horn wire. I would connect one of the female blade connectors (B) of my adapter to the horn, and the other (C) to 85 relay.

I would do the same with the second horn connection with my second adapter, connecting the second female blade connector to 86 on the relay.

Everything seems to work so far, but I did do a couple of things differently than in the guide. This raises a couple of questions for me regarding proper wiring and electricity. Is it safe to wire it this way? I do not know which of the horn wires was the supply and which was the ground... does it matter? What happens if you have it backwards (if the ground was connected to 86 and the supply was connected to 85)?

Also, the guides talk about grounding the relay to either the battery or a grounding point on the bike. I am using both wires that were connected to the horn, so im assuming one one of the two wires was a ground for the horn, and thus my relay is grounded properly, is this correct?

I didn't wire in a fuse, In this configuration, where should I put a fuse? What risks do I run otherwise, does the horn circuit already have a fuse?

Last edited:

mdd770

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about doing this but...
I bought a key ring sized garage door opener that is on my keyring obviously. I bought it at a home improvement store. (Lowe's in the US)
Works great. Cheap and easy, and I can open my door from at least an extra house length away, and it is open by the time I get there and I roll right in!