HID in the wrong direction

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it seems I installed a projector for the wrong direction. I had no idea until I test rode tonight and noticed the thicker portion of the beam is on the left (into oncoming traffic for the US)

Do I have any options to fix this? I don't drive at night, really, hardly at all but I don't want to be "that guy" with the obnoxious light.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I believe you have a LHD projector. There is no way to switch the cutoff direction without completely disassembling the lens, which I'm not sure is even possible. I think you need to replace it with a RHD version.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you post a picture of the beam pattern against a flat wall? It sounds like a poorly designed projector. The cutoff should be horizontal all the way across, with a slight "step" in the middle.

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I just heard back from the seller. My light is a flat cut off. My question is this: Does the shutter come down from the top or up from the bottom?

I just followed the grooves that fit into the VS02 housing and it looked like it was at an angle. I had been reading the forum and members were saying that most HID projectors have a cut off that is angled for their country. So 2 + 2 = 5. haha :spank:

The headlight has two brackets, one with three points and one with only one. I used the three points (which is H4, I think) and its groves can put the projector in a rotation of only three positions.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Just disassemble it a little bit, take the shutter and flip it left to right, it'll work the same and have the cutoff on the other side. The lense, bulb etc are all the same for LHD/RHD, it's just the tiny shutter.

Nissan_350z_Headlight_Projector_ImStricken.JPG

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you post a picture of the beam pattern against a flat wall? It sounds like a poorly designed projector. The cutoff should be horizontal all the way across, with a slight "step" in the middle.

I'm going to see if I can just rotate it so it is horizontal with it coming down from the top. I'll try and get it fixed before dark so I can try it on the garage door. How far back do I need to be to get a good idea where it is at?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to see if I can just rotate it so it is horizontal with it coming down from the top. I'll try and get it fixed before dark so I can try it on the garage door. How far back do I need to be to get a good idea where it is at?

I hope I misunderstood that, but if you do what I think you did, you'll basically just be flipping it upside down, meaning that the light itself will never hit the road, and will only be useless and blinding.

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not exactly sure what I mean, but I'm just going to rotate so that it is horizontal and that the light is shining on the road and not the air.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just disassemble it a little bit, take the shutter and flip it left to right, it'll work the same and have the cutoff on the other side. The lense, bulb etc are all the same for LHD/RHD, it's just the tiny shutter.

Nissan_350z_Headlight_Projector_ImStricken.JPG

IMO there is no way you can just flip the cut off as most purposely designed to NOT ALLOW it. Almost always staggered holes so unless its a flat plate and can be drilled, he's out of luck. It seems like a solution but its not going to bolt up! He needs the part for the proper location...
Like these - No way they can be flipped to be correct. Also these are for USD LHD.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO there is no way you can just flip the cut off as most purposely designed to NOT ALLOW it. Almost always staggered holes so unless its a flat plate and can be drilled, he's out of luck. It seems like a solution but its not going to bolt up! He needs the part for the proper location...
Like these - No way they can be flipped to be correct. Also these are for USD LHD.

Rarely would you be able to fit one of these mammoths into a motorcycle.

Those pictures are not bixenons, so you would need a high beam as well, or if they are bixenon, the bulb itself would have to move in relation to the shield. On bixenons, the shutter itself moves, allowing the light to pass through the area that it blocks, allowing for higher light projection (high beams).

Most HID kits that people would retrofit into them are similar to the morimoto mini D2S, - which is a bixenon (high/low) model. The shutter on mine is a small piece of pressed aluminum, attached to a solenoid which flips it down when you want more light coming out. The picture I've attached here shows the shield, (however it's curved, possibly for a better cutoff line? Mine is flat). You could take it and flip it arround on the same shutter, should be fine.

Mini-H1-Cutoff-TopView_zpse706363f.jpg

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the beam distribution. There are two other notches in the back of the bulb, if I can get that line straight, is that what I'm looking for? Again, the seller said it is supposed to be straight. Here is a picture of the bracket and notch. If I rotate I can get the beam on the other angle but it doesn't look good that way either. I can't seem to just get it straight because the notch keeps it rotated at an angle. Please help, anyone who knows what is going on here!

47a4d625b3127cce98548a70d62100000035110AbNGLRw2cuG_A

47a4d625b3127cce98548a71571000000035110AbNGLRw2cuG_A

47a4d625b3127cce98548a7f571e00000035110AbNGLRw2cuG_A

47a4d625b3127cce98548a7ed62f00000035110AbNGLRw2cuG_A

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the beam distribution. There are two other notches in the back of the bulb, if I can get that line straight, is that what I'm looking for? Again, the seller said it is supposed to be straight. Here is a picture of the bracket and notch. If I rotate I can get the beam on the other angle but it doesn't look good that way either. I can't seem to just get it straight because the notch keeps it rotated at an angle. Please help, anyone who knows what is going on here!

47a4d625b3127cce98548a70d62100000035110AbNGLRw2cuG_A

47a4d625b3127cce98548a71571000000035110AbNGLRw2cuG_A

47a4d625b3127cce98548a7f571e00000035110AbNGLRw2cuG_A

47a4d625b3127cce98548a7ed62f00000035110AbNGLRw2cuG_A

There's some good news here.

1. The projector cutoff itself is fine, if you look at the last picture, you'll see that the right side of your beam is slightly raised with respect to the left side of your beam.

The problem is:
2. Something is wrong with the mounting brackets. As you know, the projector should be level, and if the round, 3 armed plate that fits into your headlight housing is in the right spot, then the locator nub is wrong.

Can you post a picture of the (threaded) back part of the projector (where the outer sleeves thread on), with a line that crosses at horizontal (where the beam goes)?

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Based on my photos and the email I received from the seller, the model that I have is supposed to be completely straight. I am now left with the only theory that my headlight, the VS02 has a tilt to it that makes the bracket and therefore the projector tilt.

Is it a good idea to file and remove the headlight so that the bracket fits? Or is there enough torque to hold the lamp in place without the tab on the silver bracket and I can just file that off so the lamp turns to the correct angle?

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
If you feel it will have sufficient clamping power you could file off the indexing nub and straighten the Beam out .

I had to do something similar with my goldwing recently when I retroed a pair of morimoto mini in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk