Help!!!!

mshaffer

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 1986 fz6 that is not getting spark, i took a test light and checked all the components and everything is getting power.. i already changed the ignition coil with a used one off ebay but still no spark, the numbers on the ignition coil is cm12-39 i replaced it with a cm12-23, do the number really need to match?? any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you..

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever you get something off of E-Bay, it's buy at your own risk ! I wouldn't get anything other than things you know are going to be O.K. like gloves or a helmet. Maybe you should bite the bullit and get one from a dealer.:rolleyes:

mshaffer

Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever you get something off of E-Bay, it's buy at your own risk ! I wouldn't get anything other than things you know are going to be O.K. like gloves or a helmet. Maybe you should bite the bullit and get one from a dealer.:rolleyes:

the only dealer around here went out of business, and as for ebay they do have a return policy, so getting my money back is no problem..

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Installed electrical parts for a motorcycle are gonna be hard to return. Most places will not accept returns on electronics for vehicles only exchange if defective.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

S

Shamus McFeeley

You could try to get a dynatek coil. It looks like the primary resistance for your coil is 2.5 ohms. I don't know how well that will work though, because it looks like your coils use a connector that goes to the main wiring harness. If you used a aftermarket coil, you would have to get a wiring diagram and figure out how the wires exit the main harness, and then make your own pigtail to go to the dynatek coil. The dynas can be kind of expensive, but they are tough to beat. I have had a few sets of them myself.

Coil Link

This is assuming that it IS the coil and not some other part of your ignition system.

Edit:

I seem to remember that this bike uses the style of transistorized ignition where the rotor spins inside of the stator. This might help you out with troubleshooting:

For DOHC Hondas, but still relevant

Last edited by a moderator:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
75% of the time you lose spark, the problem is the stator not the coil. Make sure you test the stator.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You could try to get a dynatek coil. It looks like the primary resistance for your coil is 2.5 ohms. I don't know how well that will work though, because it looks like your coils use a connector that goes to the main wiring harness. If you used a aftermarket coil, you would have to get a wiring diagram and figure out how the wires exit the main harness, and then make your own pigtail to go to the dynatek coil. The dynas can be kind of expensive, but they are tough to beat. I have had a few sets of them myself.

Coil Link

This is assuming that it IS the coil and not some other part of your ignition system.

I'm wondering if anyone has a resistance reading for the secondary winding? The secondary on the coil could be open/shorted or carbon tracking internally...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 1986 fz6 that is not getting spark, i took a test light and checked all the components and everything is getting power.. i already changed the ignition coil with a used one off ebay but still no spark, the numbers on the ignition coil is cm12-39 i replaced it with a cm12-23, do the number really need to match?? any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you..

You may see DC. voltage to the primary on the coil but that voltage has to toggle up and down at a specific rate related to timing and RPM so you need to know if those functions are occurring to produce field and collapse to generate High voltage at the secondary winding......does it use a reluctor or point set-up to create the dwell operating?

Okay so no spark from secondary? Start tracing back.....

S

Shamus McFeeley

You may see DC. voltage to the primary on the coil but that voltage has to toggle up and down at a specific rate related to timing and RPM so you need to know if those functions are occurring to produce field and collapse to generate High voltage at the secondary winding......does it use a reluctor or point set-up to create the dwell operating?

Okay so no spark from secondary? Start tracing back.....

It uses a signal generator on the end of the crankshaft. Should be on the left side of the engine. Should be something like 120 ohms.

Last edited by a moderator: