Help with Top case for upcoming ride

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Genuine Yamaha top case - 46 litre - on my FZ6 - really good.

Givi is no good for my bike as I don't have the stock pipes, and, judging by the Givi website, you need them stock exhaust clamp to help fix the Givi. Correct me if I'm wrong guys :confused:

Prebstar has the Givi on his XJR1300 - he loves it - takes a whole carton of beer ;)

I've got the same Yamaha 46 litre top case. I like the rack as it attaches to the hand rail and when you don't have the case on it doesn't look too bad.

However it can be a little uncomfortable for a passenger trying to hold on to the hand rail. Also, there was no back rest pad so the case is not so comfortable to lean on. You might be able to buy a separate pad though.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the same Yamaha 46 litre top case. I like the rack as it attaches to the hand rail and when you don't have the case on it doesn't look too bad.

However it can be a little uncomfortable for a passenger trying to hold on to the hand rail. Also, there was no back rest pad so the case is not so comfortable to lean on. You might be able to buy a separate pad though.

Pretty nice looking aren't they?

I don't have to worry about a pillion - I'll NEVER take a pillion on my bike ;)

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well I decided not to buy any racks from Givi or SW motech . I was about to but after taxes and shipping it was close to the $200 range. I refuse to get ripped off by these companies for some simple aluminum plate. you just don't get much for what you pay for, at least that's the way I feel.

The good thing is that my brother in law has worked with casting silver with his family in Mexico for many years. He offered his help on making or finding a foundry furnace and helping me make the mold to pour the melted aluminum too. My only problem right now is that I don't have a rack to make a mold of. I might just make a rack made of MDF wood just to get the shape i need to use it as a mold.

if anyone wants to offer to lend their rack for a few hours to make a mold that would be great, and you can stick around to see the process unfold.

i would say that just make sure you put a little "enginering thought" into this mold. the reason stuff is expensive (besides to make money) is that some thought went into the design to make sure the product will work. not brake and fall off the bike at first use. it sounds like your brother in law has some knowledge in that area which is good. keep us up to date so we can see the final product. :thumbup:

semongtaulie

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Givi Monokey from craigslist and ebay. If you watch and wait you can pick up some good deals. The Monokey rack and 52 liter topcase are very well made. I tried to cobble something together to begin with to save a few bucks but it just ended up looking crappy and homemade.
I think I paid about 50% of what new Givi stuff sells for.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats where i got my setup.. ebay.. except for the sw side racks.. had to pay retail for those.. but overal happy with the purchase/cost...