Help with Marchesini Wheel Fitment

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
So I picked up a set of Marchesini wheels cheap, had them anodized in gunmetal, they look pretty sweet.

Issue is fitment - they were off of an R6 - was told years 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 R6 R6R R6S R1 would fit and after reading the compatibility chart and the wheel swaps done, assume it would be straightforward.

I have not tried to put them on yet or tear my bike down but just by looking the bearings are definitely different and I would assume the axles as well.

The bearings look specific to Marchesini as far as I can tell. Maybe all I need is an R6 axle, but then not sure if that is compatible with the FZ6. It also came with a cush drive and there is a bearing in that as well. The FZ6 bearing are small in the front and larger in the rear. I had the bearings pressed out for the anodixing and can reuse as they are in good shape.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of the wheels.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I picked up a set of Marchesini wheels cheap, had them anodized in gunmetal, they look pretty sweet.

Issue is fitment - they were off of an R6 - was told years 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 R6 R6R R6S R1 would fit and after reading the compatibility chart and the wheel swaps done, assume it would be straightforward.

I have not tried to put them on yet or tear my bike down but just by looking the bearings are definitely different and I would assume the axles as well.

The bearings look specific to Marchesini as far as I can tell. Maybe all I need is an R6 axle, but then not sure if that is compatible with the FZ6. It also came with a cush drive and there is a bearing in that as well. The FZ6 bearing are small in the front and larger in the rear. I had the bearings pressed out for the anodixing and can reuse as they are in good shape.

Nice looking wheels, what about contacting Marchesini directly with your enquiry?
[email protected]
Or try Marchesini Motorcycle | Motorbike Wheels
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/36506-marchesini-wheels.html
for more info,
Good luck and post up your findings.

Neil

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Do you have r6 or r6s forks? The axle is different from fz6 forks.

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I have FZ6 forks. I have contacted Marchesini and they are not much help, they only know fitment for an R6.

I saw the thread about the R6 wheels - seems like it was almost a direct swap. It looks like he has a late model FZ6 though.

Mine is an 05.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I have FZ6 forks. I have contacted Marchesini and they are not much help, they only know fitment for an R6.

I saw the thread about the R6 wheels - seems like it was almost a direct swap. It looks like he has a late model FZ6 though.

Mine is an 05.

You might be S.O.L then....:( I could be wrong tho.
The only other option that I know of is to do the r6s fork swap. It would be well worth it if you already have those B.A. rims:thumbup:

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are the internal and external diameters different, or just the intern diameters (to accommodate the different axle sizes)? If the OD is the same just reuse the old bearings (or get some new FZ6 bearings).

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
So I confirmed these were off of an 06 R6R - never heard of that? R6, R6S yes...what is an R6R?

I am sure I can get them to work, might just take some work. Even if machining custom axles etc.

Doing an R6 fork swap would be fine also what year though? 06?

I guess the place to start is pressing the bearings back in to the wheels.

Odd part is I bought some new R6 bearings thinking they would work in the wheels but not so much. Anyway there is nothing wrong with the old ones and the axle spacers in the middle.

My bike has the later model swingarm - 07 and up but forks are stock just with RaceTech springs an emulators.

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Measure the outside diameter of your FZ6 bearings, then measure the inside diameter of the Marchesini hub, see if they match, if they don't well..... get creative.

My FZ6 has R6r suspension, brakes & swingarm, so if you feel like selling them......................

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
I am still working on the best way to make this work out - what I am finding is there is no real rhyme or reason for what bearings Marchesini puts in their wheels so assuming something will fit - is a big assumption.

What I don't understand is how (it's been proven here) that R6 wheels work fine, but these wheels won't. Maybe I got a load of BS from the seller regarding what they will/won't fit.

I think the best bet is to upgrade to the R6 forks in the front - verdict is still out on the rear.

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Just had a flashback, when I did the R6r conversion there was no difference in axle diameter, just different wheel spacers, all the 04-12 FZ's & YZF's use the same wheels, bearings, axle diameter, and rotor bolt pattern, an R6r fork swap won't fix the problem.

What's wrong with the Marchesini bearings? have you tried fitting them on the FZ6 axle?

How about the rear wheel, have you test fitted the FZ6 sprocket and cush drive?

I noticed the front wheel is missing the brake rotor adapters, they convert the 6 bolt Marchi wheel to a 5 bolt rotor pattern.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Help with Marchesini Wheel Fitment

Just had a flashback, when I did the R6r conversion there was no difference in axle diameter, just different wheel spacers, all the 04-12 FZ's & YZF's use the same wheels, bearings, axle diameter, and rotor bolt pattern, an R6r fork swap won't fix the problem.

What's wrong with the Marchesini bearings? have you tried fitting them on the FZ6 axle?

How about the rear wheel, have you test fitted the FZ6 sprocket and cush drive?

I noticed the front wheel is missing the brake rotor adapters, they convert the 6 bolt Marchi wheel to a 5 bolt rotor pattern.

I was thinking the same thing, spacers should work.

If the axle diameter is different a good bearing shop can solve the problem.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah sorry small update - front wheel is on, got the correct collars and the fit is perfect, rotors bolt up no issues etc - so that is done.

Rear wheel - got the right collars(I think) but the issue is the sprocket and cush drive.

Apparently the cush drive is per Marchesini spec (bolt spacing, offset etc.) - which in turns needs the correct sprocket...

Not wanting to do a chain conversion at this point, there are not too many rear configured Marchesini sprockets to choose from out there - so dealing with a manufacturer on this and might have one.

This issue is 530 pitch which our bikes came with and a 46T rear - like I said rather keep the stock setup for now and maybe do a 520 conversion down the road. Primarily becuase I just got a new chain and front and rear sprocket per OEM spec.

The rear is also a slow go as I am converting to an 07 rear swingarm, deciding on R6 forks, need to install my new Shorei battery and get some different OEM turn signals...

So lots of mods...but it is getting there.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics::needpics:
Yeah sorry small update - front wheel is on, got the correct collars and the fit is perfect, rotors bolt up no issues etc - so that is done.

Rear wheel - got the right collars(I think) but the issue is the sprocket and cush drive.

Apparently the cush drive is per Marchesini spec (bolt spacing, offset etc.) - which in turns needs the correct sprocket...

Not wanting to do a chain conversion at this point, there are not too many rear configured Marchesini sprockets to choose from out there - so dealing with a manufacturer on this and might have one.

This issue is 530 pitch which our bikes came with and a 46T rear - like I said rather keep the stock setup for now and maybe do a 520 conversion down the road. Primarily becuase I just got a new chain and front and rear sprocket per OEM spec.

The rear is also a slow go as I am converting to an 07 rear swingarm, deciding on R6 forks, need to install my new Shorei battery and get some different OEM turn signals...

So lots of mods...but it is getting there.

:needpics:

:D sounds good some pic uhhuhuhuhuu ? ./poke

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Late to the show as usual - as you found the axle OD is the same from FZ to R6 but you should pay close attention to the width of the assembled spacers so as NOT to draw your forks together or spread them apart. It will lead to binding and strange pad wear on the calipers. Hint: R6 calipers forks place the calipers further apart IIRC. At a glance the calipers will drop right down, but you should pull the pads, drop the calipers into place and confirm the calipers are in fact centered over the rotors. Measure between the fully seated piston to rotor on EACH side of each caliper.

Although it is very likely that a few application of the front brake will yield pad drag on the rotor depending on how free your pistons are.

Sorry - nothing to offer on the back other than MEASURE the total space of the wheel spacers and drive on the FZ and then take some straight edge measurements from the same surface to the sprocket of both. Is it the same distance?