Helmet Impact Question

NRVOUZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, just wanted to ask a question regarding a dropped helmet. What is the height that a helmet can be dropped and still be considered for use afterwards. the reason I ask is because I live on a dark street and my bike was down on the curb and when I was getting ready to ride I had to run back in the house for something and when I came back out I realized that I didnt properly secure the helmet to the handlebars and it fell to the ground It fell in the grassy area of my yard but part of the helmet may have hit the sidewalk.... blah blah blah....is it still safe to ride with for now. I examined it and it looks A OK to me. Just asking.. Thanks in advance for any replies

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
There was a vid linked on here with Leno and the Arai guy. Pretty good info. Basically if your head isn't in it it'll be fine.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't be sure,but I read somewhere that helmets these days will safely survive a fall from seat height . But if your unsure the best way to go would be to replace it .

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a vid linked on here with Leno and the Arai guy. Pretty good info. Basically if your head isn't in it it'll be fine.

I've heard the samething, as long as your helmet is not in the helmet, a dropped helmet will not ruin the helmet. This is what other riders have said to me, but not sure if this is a fact. I have dropped my helmet as well.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I have dropped mine, horrible sound it is. Not as bad as the bike falling but you know. If it is a few foot drop it oughta be fine, it's made to absorb the impact with weight in it (ie. your head). As long as its only from the seat I keep mine. If it gets dropped over and over I would have doubts about it, might be hitting in the same spot, especially if your like me and place it in the same spot every time.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah, I remember the Arai guy talking about this in the video. I think that you guys in the US can send your Arai's or Shoei's to the manufacturer to certify that it is still usable.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I was told by my rider coach that a helmet dropped from the waist or higher is considered compromised.

I personally think though wearing a "compromised" helmet is better than wearing no helmet.