Hello from Tampa!

William

Reaction score
Visit site
I just landed a new 2006 FZ6 from Xtreme Powersports in Tampa, Florida. Well, not a new-new bike, but one of those new-to-me deals. It’s a well taken care of sled with 15K on the odo. Plus, it’s got a nice set of Givi cases and the rack for a top case. Maybe it belonged to a member of your forum. Here it is:

1001.jpg

1002.jpg

1004.jpg

As you can see, I’m not exactly hovering about in my youth. Nope, 52 actually and have been riding for the last 40. However, I have a 17yo son who keeps me on my toes. Sam has had his endorsement since last summer and he’ll be on the FZ6 when we hit the road on our trips. I’ll be on my 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere that got delivered last July. Then I think I’ll use the FZ6 for commuting (I ride to work every day…you can do that in Florida) and for some of the other local gatherings we have around the Tampa area. Here’s a photo of my Tenere on Lake Okeechobee. That’s the big man-made lake down in South Florida.

1078.jpg

We also have a 2009 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa that Sam and I share. Fun little thumper, I just took it on a three-day, 750 mile boondoggle around the Everglades during the Holiday break. My rear still hurts.

img_5215.jpg

Sam and I also restore old dirt bikes (mx, duallies and trials) for fun. We started when he was just a little guy. I wanted to get back into motocross which I did as a kid in Upstate New York. Joined AHRMA, got my number and all that jazz, and then restored a 72 Yamaha DT2MX for competition. Well, restoring was so much fun, I said heck with the racing and we went on to restore dozens of old barn finds. It’s a lot of fun. Here’s a photo of the old DT2-MX. You don’t see many of these. I sold it to a museum.

DSCN0804.jpg

Anyway, looks like you’ve got a neat forum going here, so I thought I’d join and see what I can lean from ya’ll about the FZ6.

Oh, btw…I actually go by Bill, but someone already had that name when I went to register.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best forum ever!! :D
You have quite a nice motorcycle list :)
If you're OK to tinker with your newly acquired FZ6, you will have a lot of fun surprises from this sweet bike :)

Grtz,

Degake

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the greatest forum on the web, Bill:rockon:

I have a feeling we will be learning a lot from you:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!
You're going to like it here!
We also have a Bike Of The Month every month that you can enter pictures of your bikes in.
Glad to meet you Bill and Sam!:D

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! Some of us are crazy enough that we still ride in Virginia too (I work from 8 - 8 usually....gotta get it in sometime!). Just got back from a ride -- it was only 36 outside.

Everyone is really nice here -- best forum I've ever belonged to on the internet. This will be a home to me even after (if ever) my FZ6 is gone.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
Nice, I notice that you also bought the faster blue:rockon:. I'm an even older rider (70) and an early adopter (2004), currently in Weeki Wachee. Let me know if you get up this direction. Lots of Tampa folks come up to play on Ozella and Gobbler. They're about the only approximation of twisties around here.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for the welcomes!

I saw lots of Blue FZ6s looking around and one red, but if it was the other way around, I'd hope to still have Blue...it's a Yamaha! It’s funny, we banter the faster color over in the Yamaha Super Tenere Forum, too. But the funny part is calling a Super Tenere in any color fast. :)

Plus, Yamaha only gave North American Tenere buyers two colors to choose from so we’re calling our first Rally in Whitehorse Yukon this summer the Black and Blue Rally! :cool:

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice, I notice that you also bought the faster blue:rockon:. I'm an even older rider (70) and an early adopter (2004), currently in Weeki Wachee. Let me know if you get up this direction. Lots of Tampa folks come up to play on Ozella and Gobbler. They're about the only approximation of twisties around here.

Hey Jim!

It just so happens that I’m in a group that will be camping/cabining/riding out of Ocala over President’s Day weekend next month and we'll definitely be on the Ozello Trail…with lunch timed for down at Pecks. Not sure I know what the Gobber is though. Can you share it? I probably should know, but I’ve kinda been more of a dirt bike guy the last couple years…uh…I mean decades. :)

Our small group (five, six or so I believe) will be staying at the Ocala RV Resort from the 16th to the 19th. You and all are welcome to join us.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A big :welcome: to our great forum William , nice bikes you've got there :thumbup: It must be great being able to ride all year around, and not have to worry about the cold :rockon:

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
It is Gobbler Drive, just north of Floral City off of US41. E Gobbler Dr is a link. It's twistier than Ozella Trail. There's a very popular cruiser hangout on it, but I've never stopped there.

Hey Jim!

It just so happens that I’m in a group that will be camping/cabining/riding out of Ocala over President’s Day weekend next month and we'll definitely be on the Ozello Trail…with lunch timed for down at Pecks. Not sure I know what the Gobber is though. Can you share it? I probably should know, but I’ve kinda been more of a dirt bike guy the last couple years…uh…I mean decades. :)

Our small group (five, six or so I believe) will be staying at the Ocala RV Resort from the 16th to the 19th. You and all are welcome to join us.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
It is Gobbler Drive, just north of Floral City off of US41. E Gobbler Dr is a link. It's twistier than Ozella Trail. There's a very popular cruiser hangout on it, but I've never stopped there.

Ah! Now I’m with you. The biker hangout is called Sleepy Hollow. Yeah, that is pretty curvy back in there.

I do recommend a visit to Sleepy Hollow at least once...home of the iconic and befitting phrase...

What happens in the pasture, stays in the pasture!

I have a friend who makes me go there once in awhile. His name is Mr.Bones. :)

D

Dave.TX

Welcome to a fantastic forum, Bill & Sam! You'll enjoy it here. FL definitely has nice weather for riding year round. TX does too, for the most part. I went riding last Sat/Sun and it was just over 60 both days. Enjoy your FZ6.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to a fantastic forum, Bill & Sam! You'll enjoy it here. FL definitely has nice weather for riding year round. TX does too, for the most part. I went riding last Sat/Sun and it was just over 60 both days. Enjoy your FZ6.

About half of my family is over in the DFW area. Dang! You all have a lot better places to ride in Texas than we do here in Flatistan.

I’m a recently subscribed member of Two Wheeled Texans and will be riding in the Texas Adventure Challenge coming up at the end of April. It's a 600 mile on and off road clocked ride that runs from Junction to Del Rio and back. Perfect timing, I’m a CPA by trade so I’m going to have major ants in my pants to go do a big ride right about then. :)

Last edited:

spectacle13

young wanderer
Reaction score
Visit site
hi william! i live in tampa as well, town-n-country to be exact. i also own an fz6 and have seen the bike you bought posted on CL and have seen it riding by when i'm in brandon quite a few times. there are alot of good people on here, but for a more local scene tampasportbikes is also a good forum, they have meets about once a week and the twistiest course around here is actually what we call the "north run". starts up in Land O' Lakes around 54 and ehren cutoff and ends up out around hill-n-dale, and as posted before, some people continue on to gobbler, floral city, etc. for a scenic view i really like 581/481 from brooksville to inverness.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
hi william! i live in tampa as well, town-n-country to be exact. i also own an fz6 and have seen the bike you bought posted on CL and have seen it riding by when i'm in brandon quite a few times. there are alot of good people on here, but for a more local scene tampasportbikes is also a good forum, they have meets about once a week and the twistiest course around here is actually what we call the "north run". starts up in Land O' Lakes around 54 and ehren cutoff and ends up out around hill-n-dale, and as posted before, some people continue on to gobbler, floral city, etc. for a scenic view i really like 581/481 from brooksville to inverness.

Hi and thanks for the lead on the other forum. I spend most of my local riding time north and east of Brooksville. Much better than around Tampa here. :)

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to this awesome forum William,

I see you have great bikes and spend some good time with them, as well as on nice long rides.

I went to Tampa last November, for the Ride for Kids event. Apart from this I have not done any riding around there but I'd like to visit more and do some of the rides you're talking about here.

I'm glad you and your son can ride together and I hope we could meet up for some local rides.