Heading to Orlando for Holiday (from Australia), Suggestions please?

smidge

Reaction score
www.mightycarmods.com
hi all, i've got a thread over here...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/15243-aussie-heading-usa.html

but i was hoping some of you local guys might be able to suggest what i could for the following:

arriving at Orlando Airport around Midday Friday the 8th of May.

We want to check out the Kennedy Space centre so i was wondering if you think it might be best to stay somewhere near cape Canaveral? Or would i be best off staying near the city and travelling for the day to check the place out?

any advice you guys have would be great, please feel free to throw up any suggestions of good things to do around that way, we arrive friday and head to Vegas on the Sunday...

cheers

Marty

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all, i've got a thread over here...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/15243-aussie-heading-usa.html

but i was hoping some of you local guys might be able to suggest what i could for the following:

arriving at Orlando Airport around Midday Friday the 8th of May.

We want to check out the Kennedy Space centre so i was wondering if you think it might be best to stay somewhere near cape Canaveral? Or would i be best off staying near the city and travelling for the day to check the place out?

any advice you guys have would be great, please feel free to throw up any suggestions of good things to do around that way, we arrive friday and head to Vegas on the Sunday...

cheers

Marty

I stayed in Cocoa Beach in January (was pretty cheap)... The Space centre is about a half hour away at best...

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
If your plans include the area attractions (Disney,Universal...) I would hang out in Orlando. K.S.C. is a short drive from Orlando. If you like roller coasters go to Islands of Adventure. What else are you wanting to see and do?

smidge

Reaction score
www.mightycarmods.com
We most likely won't have a car, unless you guys reckon its going to be a pain to get around without them

Ideally we'd hire some bikes to get around on instead! might have to wait till we get there to what happens with that

I personally like checking out the Cities just having a walk around getting a vibe for them (if they aren't too massive spaced apart) and also the beach is always nice to have a look around.

I guess we aren't there for ages so whatever touristy parts let you get a feel for the place!

Eg: in Sydney i'd say check out the old center, Pitt St, The Harbour bridge anad opera house and botanic gardens next door. Thats 1-2 days of sightseeing (the best of!)

thanks for your help already!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I stayed at Twin Towers in Orlando, getting acroass the road was a PIA without a car. I would say a car is a must.

Steve

chicagogreg

Gadget Freak
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey smidge, pretty much any time you visit the US, unless you're visiting a major city (NY, Chicago, LA, SF) you're going to need a car. Especially in Florida. Not sure about renting bikes in Orlando (hopefully there's an Orlando native on the board that can give you better deets) but in my experience, the ability to rent bikes is not universal. Certain high-profile tourist destinations (Honolulu, Las Vegas) seem to have the most opportunities. Family-friendly Orlando may not. Plus, you probably need to have a car in order to get to the place that rents bikes!!

Edit: you could also do a Google search -- I found a couple of places in Orlando if you don't mind Harleys and Hondas :)

Last edited:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site

smidge

Reaction score
www.mightycarmods.com
thats a big help guys thanks, will look into renting a car for that weekend might make life a bit easier! bikes would be fun but maybe expensive

the other cities we're heading too are pretty major so we're happy to leg it, we're staying in a pretty central spot at each one except for the odd trip here and there and i've found public transit will probably do for those spots

feel free to hit me up for any questions about visiting Sydney if any of you ever head to Australia!!