Have questions on FZ6

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am considering moving to a FZ6 but I have a few questions for anyone that happened to have a Katana 600 before their FZ6. I currently have a 1996 Katana 600 with header, exhaust, timing advance, jetted carbs. It runs great but I want to move up to something more comfortable and that has a little more power.

-Is it noticably lighter?
-Is the performance noticably better?
-Is the bike smoother/less vibrations?
-Is it more comfortable than the Kat?

Any other comments or personal reviews would be greatly appreciated :)

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the 2006 fz6 have a crappy powerband? i read on a few other forums that it was really peaky and had poor throttle response down low in 2006.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
Get an '07+. Powerband is fine, and the only thing I wish for is a little smoother off throttle response.

I don't know how heavy a Katana is, but I think the fizzer is 450lbs. The seating position is going to be more upright. I find it comfy even with lower bars than stock.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the info.

is there a noticable buzz in the footpegs/seat around 70000rpms?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The only way to make your Kana-tuna faster than a FZ6 is to throw it off a cliff. Even with your mods an FZ6 makes nearly 100Hp stock... You can't compare your 10 year + old bike to a modern bike like an FZ6...:thumbup: Get an FZ6 and say goodbye to your Kana-tuna....;)

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
The only way to make your Kana-tuna faster than a FZ6 is to throw it off a cliff. Even with your mods an FZ6 makes nearly 100Hp stock... You can't compare your 10 year + old bike to a modern bike like an FZ6...:thumbup: Get an FZ6 and say goodbye to your Kana-tuna....;)

This say's it all......nuff said!:D

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Get an '07+. Powerband is fine, and the only thing I wish for is a little smoother off throttle response.

I don't know how heavy a Katana is, but I think the fizzer is 450lbs. The seating position is going to be more upright. I find it comfy even with lower bars than stock.

420 lbs dry :thumbup:

:welcome: Get the bike, you won't regret it. One of the truly nice things about the FZ6 is that it is a Jack of All Trades and Master of None, but with a few mods you can bring it to whatever end of the scale you want, streetfighter, track-bike, cruiser, etc...

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone other than the silly little canadian (tee hee). :tard:

I will go check out a few and see what I think. My only concern is the vibration issues that i have read a lot about in the 5000 to 7000rpm range.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i've never had any issues with vibration between 5,000 and 7,000 rpm, or really any rpm for that matter. i've read one or two posts from people who had an issue with vibration and solved it squarely with new grips. think they're called grip puppies or something. you're not in the powerband at that rpm anyway so you won't see a whole lot of time in that zone if you truly want to enjoy this bike. 8k is where the fun begins, with emphasis on the word BEGINS :sinister:

fazerchap

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the 2008 FZ6 Fazer S2,& would not even swop her for a Hyabusa.Its the been the greatest investment I ever made.Been riding bikes for 31 years & never been happier. Comfort,economical,reliable, has all the power needed,great for general commuting or long distance getaways.Whatever you ask of her she gives with a purr of that motor,and NO buzz on the footpegs at any rpm.Go get that Fazer,she will never let you down

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
Last summer I bought a brand new 06 model as leftover inventory for $4400 otd, just to give you an example.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
The only way to make your Kana-tuna faster than a FZ6 is to throw it off a cliff.

With terminal velocity sometimes being as slow as 120 MPH you may have to throw it Down the cliff to make it faster than the FZ6.

Get the bike my friend, you'll love it! And welcome to a first class forum.:thumbup: