Reaction score
Visit site

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen products like this on late night shopping channels...one US ad had an engine running for x amount of hours without any engine oil after being treated with a similar stuff... I'm not convinced but who knows

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
There were many claims for PTFE years ago, to improve the life of an engine. The idea being that treating all the metal surfaces with teflon would give another layer of cushioning to the bearings, beyond plain oil. A secondary claim had to do with the oil returning to the oil sump with less stiction.....

All of which makes no sense if it's done on a motor that is already coated in engine oil and grime internally.

I cannot envision this being any different.

Keep fresh oil in your motor in the grade specified by the mfg, change it as the mfg suggests, do not run the motor hard, until it has reached operating temperature and you will have a motor that lasts a long time. Do the routine maintenance on schedule.

No need for 'snake oil'.....

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I love those commercials and seems like their products work miracles (toned down of course). But I'm so afraid of putting weird stuff in my engine because if it broke, someone would give me crap about putting weird stuff in my engine.

I saw the commercial where they drained the oil and the engine still ran and was ok. I'd like to see them try that on their own expensive car (and prove it's their car) -- put that stuff, drain the oil and keep driving; if they can do that, then I might be convinced. I want the marketers to take the risk instead of just getting paid to make us think we need something. And if it's so good, why do you need flashy graphics, hot women, and guys dressed as scientists to illustrate the point?

If there's proof, I might try it -- I'm so done with buying stuff with big promises always destined to be disappointed.

Like previous post said, I think if you use decent oil and change it a little more often than the manual says, you'll keep your engine happy. Following the manual is probably just fine too.

Dennis

bradms38

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't tried that product. On a side note, I was at the auto store yesterday and they have different colors of caliper paint for around $8 a can.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The other question that comes to mind....... what will this stuff do to a 'wet' clutch? If it makes things more slick by filling in the cracks and crevices...... how smooth do you want the clutch to be?

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't tried that product. On a side note, I was at the auto store yesterday and they have different colors of caliper paint for around $8 a can.

trust me that stuff would cause havoc in your combustion chamber ;)

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a funny story to add to this thread. Alright it was high school shop class small engines. We had to really old 1 cylinder 4 stroke lawm mower egines both where bought by the school sume 10 years ago and where new then. After tear down and rebuild for 10 years 4 to 6 times a year and hours of running they where getting wore out. So our shop teacher bought new ones to replace them. Mind you this was his idea. He said after staying up late one night watched people run engines with out oil, that we must try on these two engines. So he bought LUCAS motor oil treatment and added it to one engine and drained the other. We ran the lucas one for about 1 hour and then drained it out. Next day came in to two fully drained engines and let them suckers run. After 30 mins the one with no oil or lucas quit, the other ran for 5 hours before stopping. Kinda weird but seems like that stuff worked. I've added it to slipping trannys that where full of fluid and it solves the problem 9 out of 10 times done on 2 different cars that i owned. I have been looking into that Z-Max stuff but dunno if ill ever put anything into the bike due to the wet clutch like talked about above.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
The other question that comes to mind....... what will this stuff do to a 'wet' clutch? If it makes things more slick by filling in the cracks and crevices...... how smooth do you want the clutch to be?

well im not 100% sure on thsi stuff

but a teflon coating to the engines internals BEFORE being assembled has a proven track record

iirc alot of 2 smoker guys teflon coat the top of pistons and sides
for better and longer lasting wear

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
well im not 100% sure on thsi stuff

but a teflon coating to the engines internals BEFORE being assembled has a proven track record

iirc alot of 2 smoker guys teflon coat the top of pistons and sides
for better and longer lasting wear

I'd think there was a chance that teflon would stick to bare, clean metal.... so the application before the motor is ever run is more believeable as to having an effect.

But how does coating the TOP of a piston with teflon improve it's wear? I understand that 2 stroke pistons tend to slap around in the bore more, due to the ports on the sidewall..... with no valves in the top of the cylinder, there is zero contact with anything except the combustion gasses.... and as I understand it, the only reason aluminum pistons survive is due to the layer of stagnant gasses that 'stick' to the piston surface. Does that gas stick better to teflon?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site

Bad things.

Oil additives and wet clutches generally don't mix, hence why we have to use "non-energy conserving oil". Friction modifiers (or reducers) are BAD for clutches.