Hard break in?

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all,I would like to say hello to everybody.I will be getting my brand ride this coming weekend.
Just like everyone else,I would like to get the most performance and lifespan from my brand new engine.
Can someone who had done both method(motoman or faithfully following the manufacture's recommendation) of breaking in advise on the effect on your engine?

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all,I would like to say hello to everybody.I will be getting my brand ride this coming weekend.
Just like everyone else,I would like to get the most performance and lifespan from my brand new engine.
Can someone who had done both method(motoman or faithfully following the manufacture's recommendation) of breaking in advise on the effect on your engine?

Your about to open up a whole can of worms.

That being said i did use the motoman method, the logic seems sound and his personal anecdotal evidence seems convincing.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:welcome: Enjoy and Ride Safe.

With regard to your question, I followed manufactures break in, they designed it, they built it, they tested it, and they have a pretty good idea of the riding habits of the market that buys it.

Anecdotal experience is like a belly button, everyones got one. Which ever method you use I wish you the best :thumbup:

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It's kind of true that there's no real universal break-in method that works on every engine/bike. But the official one in the manual won't hurt and won't void your warranty.

These engines are built very precise and clean, and aren't as much affected by break-in as older engines.

The most important thing to do is to change the oil/filter at the correct intervals, which I believe are 600 and 1000 miles(check the manual!).
Most of the wear inside the engine occurs during this period so there will be tiny aluminum shavings in your oil.

Most people "baby" the engine and are afraid to go into the high rpm's at all during the break in, when in reality you just shouldn't do it for prolonged durations.

Keep most of your riding under 6k, but it won't hurt and it might even be beneficial to run it up there once in a while(not for too long).

What I've heard all my life is "Break it in the way you're going to ride it everyday".

kananaskis

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, I follow the Motoman Method. I have used it on 2 bikes and the Yamaha factory rider I knew in Ontario said something similar was used on their race bikes...

Z

Zealadin

Well I just did what my dealer recommended, 600km's under 6k revs, then the 400km's after that under 8k revs. (Without letting the revs remain in the same place for too long)

I've also heard that these days it isn't a huge issue since the engines are generally higher quality with much better components. (Just the opinion of some older friends with more motorcycle experience than me, although they all agree on a new bike better safe than sorry)

The added benefit of this? Well I upgraded after a few years on a 250cc (required to start on a learner bike by law) and it means I have been doing all my riding at a fairly sedate pace, the bike runs beautifully under and up till 8k revs, and its allowed me to get to know how the bike runs.

I guess it will be hard to truly gauge how effective it is compared to other ways since I'm not going to be upgrading for a while, but since it seems to be a tried and true system and its worked so far I'm happy with it.
Oh and for legal riding you don't really ever need to go past 6k revs so its not a huge deal :D