Handlebar / Throttle Holder

cthouse

Reaction score
Visit site
So I replaced the grips on my FZ6, and in the process I can't seem to get the plastic piece holding the throttle tube (and the killswitch and start button) secured to the bar snugly. I know there is a bump and hole, and I think I have them lined up... Anyone else have a similar experience? The bump in the plastic looks small compared to my fz09.. Maybe the piece broke off?

2008FZ6/2014FZ09

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I replaced the grips on my FZ6, and in the process I can't seem to get the plastic piece holding the throttle tube (and the killswitch and start button) secured to the bar snugly. I know there is a bump and hole, and I think I have them lined up... Anyone else have a similar experience? The bump in the plastic looks small compared to my fz09.. Maybe the piece broke off?

2008FZ6/2014FZ09

Are you talking about part #14?

Did you pull the three screws and split that? And now it won't clamp down on the bar itself?

The three screws, I believe are different lenths. It should pop back together without issue as long as the throttle cables are where they belong. Is it possible you have the new grip too far on the throttle tube and its interferring?

Pretty much, just make sure the exterior edges of #14 line up and you should be good..

Double click to enlarge...

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you talking about part #14?

Did you pull the three screws and split that? And now it won't clamp down on the bar itself?

The three screws, I believe are different lenths. It should pop back together without issue as long as the throttle cables are where they belong. Is it possible you have the new grip too far on the throttle tube and its interferring?

Pretty much, just make sure the exterior edges of #14 line up and you should be good..

Double click to enlarge...

Also, 2 of them are Philips and one is an Allen head, that's the one that secures the control to the bar.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, 2 of them are Philips and one is an Allen head, that's the one that secures the control to the bar.

I just peeked at mine and pulled just the bottom plastic cover.

I have two black phillips heads (one real long, the other short) and #3, a "dished" phillips head screw, and that is off set, doesn't go near the handle bar..

I haven't had it apart it quite awhile (since last cable cleaning). I don't re-call another screw (or an allan head) in there.

**Now, mine was wrecked, its possible that #3 screw should be an allan head..

All three screws have different part #''s;
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2008 FZ6 - FZS6XCL HANDLE SWITCH LEVER Diagram

The screw in question is the one in the top pic (bottom left, cover is off),Pic compliments of Nelly...:) His is apparently a phillips like mine

Double click to enlarge..

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just peeked at mine and pulled just the bottom plastic cover.

I have two black phillips heads (one real long, the other short) and #3, a "dished" phillips head screw, and that is off set, doesn't go near the handle bar..

I haven't had it apart it quite awhile (since last cable cleaning). I don't re-call another screw (or an allan head) in there.

**Now, mine was wrecked, its possible that #3 screw should be an allan head..

All three screws have different part #''s;
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2008 FZ6 - FZS6XCL HANDLE SWITCH LEVER Diagram
You may be right, Scott. I may have put the screw in a long time ago after losing one of them. Can someone verify it? I could swear one was an Allen head:confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I have the two Phillips heads, I will have to look and see if there is a third

2008FZ6/2014FZ09

The third one is towards the inner part of the bike and does NOT hold that plastic cover on. It does definitly hold the two halfs together(its not close enough to the bar to secure it to the bar)

I think (again, its been awhile), theres a hole in the bar and one of those halfs has a nipple on it to keep the switch from rotating on the bar...

For the OP, that may be the issue...

cthouse

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked out the piece. Looks like the allen screw is MIA. There is a recessed opening that looks like it would take a screw, currently empty. Very curious, I have not taken this apart before, maybe it was never there to begin with.. I will have to figure out the proper screw size and see if I can get a new one.

2008FZ6/2014FZ09

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked out the piece. Looks like the allen screw is MIA. There is a recessed opening that looks like it would take a screw, currently empty. Very curious, I have not taken this apart before, maybe it was never there to begin with.. I will have to figure out the proper screw size and see if I can get a new one.

2008FZ6/2014FZ09

Does the other half of the switch assembly have a extrusion that would go in that hole (to keep it from moving)?

I don't remember any screws being there...

cthouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh hmm, I didn't think about it that way. I believe there is an extrusion, but I thought it lined up with the hole in the handlebar, not the other side of the assembly. I may have to take it back apart again and evaluate. It's weird cause I didn't take it apart until it rotated on the handlebars when I was struggling to get the new grip on.

2008FZ6/2014FZ09

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I re-call (again, its been awhile), the extrusion was on the lower half of the switch and did indeed fit into the handlebar.

A lot of guys putting on FZ1 bars, just grind that tab off vs drilling a hole in the bar...

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The third one is towards the inner part of the bike and does NOT hold that plastic cover on. It does definitly hold the two halfs together(its not close enough to the bar to secure it to the bar)

I think (again, its been awhile), theres a hole in the bar and one of those halfs has a nipple on it to keep the switch from rotating on the bar...

For the OP, that may be the issue...

That's what I meant, the 3rd screw clamps the two halves is the control.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I meant, the 3rd screw clamps the two halves is the control.

Ok, sounded to me like it bolted the switch to the bar itself. :thumbup:

Looking at the pic below, (should be the third screw I'm referrring to), its a bit offset and couldn't screw into the bar being offset that far.

BTW, from another thread, this pic is NELLYs bike Joe, not mine. I suspect stock, its probably a phillips head on all three. If yours is an allan head, no big deal, as long as its the correct thread, doing its job. Someone over time probably lost the original.

Double click to enlarge;

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, just pulled mine apart..

The three screws simply hold both halfs together. None screw it to the bar itself.

As I thought, the lower housing has a nipple sticking up. That goes in a hole in the STOCK bar TO KEEP IT FROM ROTATING..

cthouse, if you have stock FZ6 bars, their should be a small hole (hard to see with cables on), its easier to just move the lower housing about until it falls into the hole. (that is unless it got squashed/tightened down when NOT in the bar hole). Once that's in, it'll all tighten down without issue...

cthouse

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've checked it out. I believe there to be two screws and the little bump/knub on the plastic piece is broken off. That's why the entire piece is loose on the handlebar. I will have to order up a new part. Thanks for all the assistance, I will follow up once I have the part replaced. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've checked it out. I believe there to be two screws and the little bump/knub on the plastic piece is broken off. That's why the entire piece is loose on the handlebar. I will have to order up a new part. Thanks for all the assistance, I will follow up once I have the part replaced. :thumbup:

I would grind that little tab off first... Most guys do when swapping bars W/O issue.

That switch assembly isn't cheap...

Good luck..

cthouse

Reaction score
Visit site
I would grind that little tab off first... Most guys do when swapping bars W/O issue.

Good luck..

I noticed the price of the part. I have heard that using some duck tape and smoothing out the bump might prevent slippage. definitely worth a shot.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed the price of the part. I have heard that using some duck tape and smoothing out the bump might prevent slippage. definitely worth a shot.

Just grinding it off and you should be ok.

JUST grind the TAB, not the rest as that's whats grabbing the handlebar.

Its not under a bunch of stress, just your wrist! :thumbup:

Last edited:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Good luck..

I swapped my stock bars for the FZ-1, but I elected to drill a hole into the bar to accept the tab from the housing. It is really not that difficult. When you replaced the throttle grip, you must make sure it is not snugged up to the housing, otherwise you may have some throttle sticking issues. :thumbup: