Handlebar adjustment??

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the second owner of my '08. I've been looking at the handlebars and i wonder if the previous owner had twisted it back a little. After riding for just an hour or so, my wrists hurt. Look at the pic and let me know what you think.
handlebar1_zps50c295b5.jpg

handlebar2_zps35528e2f.jpg

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, the stock bars are just notorious for being to swept back and causing wrist pain. That's why most of us swap to FZ1 bars.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.
I just swapped the fz1 bars to try fz6r bars. Took a 30min ride today...not sure if I like them yet.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't like the stock bars on my '07.

I moved them back towards the seat by about 5 degrees. It made a big difference for my wrists, have no problem with the bars now.

Trying it is free anyway.

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input. Glad to know i'm not the only one. Been toying with the idea of trying 1" up x 1" back barbacks but i'm not sure if i would have enough play in the cables to turn the handlebars lock to lock without issues.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got back from my first ride with my new Renthal Road Mediums, and man was it nice between that and the new Corbin. :D I agree with David, those don't look rotated... I had mine turned back a few degrees, and it was a good bit more comfortable to me for some reason.

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input. Glad to know i'm not the only one. Been toying with the idea of trying 1" up x 1" back barbacks but i'm not sure if i would have enough play in the cables to turn the handlebars lock to lock without issues.

I'm using SW Motech risers...

Handlebar riser barbacks & top clamps (BMW, Ducati, Gas-Gas, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM LC4, MZ, Suzuki, Triumph, Yamaha) - pair, 1" rise & 1" pullback - TwistedThrottle.com

... they work with stock cables without any problem. They're not cheap but excellent quality. Also a big improvement (at least for me).

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.
I just swapped the fz1 bars to try fz6r bars. Took a 30min ride today...not sure if I like them yet.

I was going to mention the fz6r bars to Dresnewtoy. Looking forward to hearing your final opinion on those,
because i may also be switching from the fz1 bars to them.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I swapped out to FZ1 bar recently too. It's so much better. Plus it's one of the cheapest mods out there and actually makes a major difference!

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
When ye say fz1 bar conversion, are they renthal fz1 equivalent? or are they genuine fz1 bars? is it a straight swop or is there different mounts needed??? thanks :rockon:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to mention the fz6r bars to Dresnewtoy. Looking forward to hearing your final opinion on those,
because i may also be switching from the fz1 bars to them.

Update:
Well, I hate to say it, but I kinda like the fz6r bars. I'll prob keep them on for the winter and long distance trips. I have been working out more lately so that may have fixed the sore back, which I believe was do to a lack of core strength. The fz6r bars seem harder to turn possibly due to them being about an inch narrower than the fz1 bars, but the bend is more comfortable for cruising. The fz1's will go back on when I feel pissy:rockon:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
When ye say fz1 bar conversion, are they renthal fz1 equivalent? or are they genuine fz1 bars? is it a straight swop or is there different mounts needed??? thanks :rockon:

Stock FZ1 bars, AFAIK they're pretty much bolt-on.

I've got the Renthals, they cost a little more and require more work, but I like 'em so far. They do require either threading the ends for stock barends or using some other kind of end, and possibly cutting the ends down a little, as well as drilling a hole for the control pod locating nubs, or nipping the nubs off.

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:
Well, I hate to say it, but I kinda like the fz6r bars. I'll prob keep them on for the winter and long distance trips. I have been working out more lately so that may have fixed the sore back, which I believe was do to a lack of core strength. The fz6r bars seem harder to turn possibly due to them being about an inch narrower than the fz1 bars, but the bend is more comfortable for cruising. The fz1's will go back on when I feel pissy:rockon:

Good to hear. Can you describe the pull back compared to the fz1 bars?
Someone posted a pic that shows the fz6/fz6r next to each other,
but I wonder how the fz6r bar compares to the fz1 ....

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same issue, the bar sweep angle is too far back. A lot of guys switch to the FZ1 bar, but it has no rise, putting the bars about 1.5" lower, giving a more aggressive riding position, which I didn't want (that's why I sold my ZX6R). I was going to get the FZ6R bar, which is the same rise height as the stock FZ6 bar, but with the angle of the FZ1 bar. But I got a stock bar for free from a local guy on this forum, and had the welder at my work bend the angle a little straighter, essentially making it a FZ6R bar. The wrist angle is more comfortable, but it's a little longer reach, because the ends of the bar are about an inch farther away now. There's some pics in my thread http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/47061-stock-fz6-handlebar-un-bent-painted.html

By the way, I am also using SW-motech risers, which are 1" up & 1" back I think, and have no problems with turning full lock or using the stock brakes lines and cables. By the way, if you still wanted risers, these are probably the cheapest and have good reviews Tusk Handlebar Riser Kit | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
You may have to consciously use your back and legs to keep yourself upright and not support your upper body on the bars. I find that if I purposely keep the weight off the bars my wrists feel fine...and I've ridden quite a few 6-8 hour days on the stock FZ6! The weak point to me is my knees. They do not like the swept back sport pegs after about 3 hours. :(

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear. Can you describe the pull back compared to the fz1 bars?
Someone posted a pic that shows the fz6/fz6r next to each other,
but I wonder how the fz6r bar compares to the fz1 ....

I would say the pull back is inbetween the stock bars and the fz1 bars.