Hand Vibrations

Krazy8888

Reaction score
Visit site
My hands are becoming numb after I have been riding for about 20-30 min at speeds of 120km plus. Does anybody else experience this when they are riding? I use a pair of Joe Rocket short summer gloves which are about five years old and am wondering if I buy a half decent pair of gloves if it will lessen the vibrations, or if some different grips might help. Thanks for your input or suggestions.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
I had same problem with my hand when I started riding FZ6 year and half ago.
Now, I do not feel much vibration even at the higher speed at all.
Nice glove reduces alot and feel much better.
I'm pretty sure that you'll overcome this when times come... ^^

My method that helping on this issue is that relax the hand gripping as much as possible.
I do try not to grip hard the handle bar if conditions met, like long continues highway speed runing.
And, I do try use my inside palm pushing instead of gripping.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
A throttle locking device of some sort does amazing things for that - allowing you to totaly relax your grip on the bars - I don't think I could do with out one now. I find the throttle return spring is to strong for me on a trip and puts my hand to sleep no mater how carefull I am.

The only other thing that I find is that I am fairly short, so the reach to the bars puts me in a slightly odd position comfort wise - I expect handlebar risers will fix that, when I get around to it.

Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Progrip's helped me a lot. Easy mod.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grip-699-Open-Sportbike/dp/B000I1X9PE/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2"]Amazon.com: Pro Grip 699 Open End Sportbike Gel Grip - Closed End/Black: Automotive[/ame]

They are silicon and absorbe a lot if the vibe.

Cut your curent grips down the legnth, peal them off.
Spray a spritz of hair spray into the pro grip and slid it on the bar.
let it dry over night.

Weighted bars can also help but with my bike, the progrips were enough. And they are $9 a set.... :)

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
I get the same problem I have not completely overcome it yet, I think the FZ6 is prone to vibration but also it is equally down to gripping too tight, I have only just fitted Grip Puppies which do help but increase the bar diameter which is taking some getting used to.
I think the gel grip is probably the better solution than Grip Puppies.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I get the same problem I have not completely overcome it yet, I think the FZ6 is prone to vibration but also it is equally down to gripping too tight, I have only just fitted Grip Puppies which do help but increase the bar diameter which is taking some getting used to.
I think the gel grip is probably the better solution than Grip Puppies.

I never rode with grip puppies but have used the progrips on every bike I've had except the shadow. (It had large grips and the vibration didn't seem to bother me. Might be the V-twin's vibration being a lot less.

If the grip puppies are larger in diameter, that may help a bit as it may be forcing you to open your hand up a bit.

Another thing I do to force me to relax my grip, especially on long runs, is to cover the break and clutch. Basically just resting my fingers on them. Keeps my hand open and also you soon realize that you don't have to have a death grip on the throttle to keep her going.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
I too would have to recommend the Grip Puppies, not only is it an easy mod but they are relatively cheap and they work:rockon:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
You are probably gripping too hard and have your shoulders locked. Try to relax a bit.

Try a Cramp Buster to relieve cramps in the wrist and resulting hand vibrations. About $10 at any dealer.

Krazy8888

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I went and bought a $6.00 pair of SuperCycle foam grips for bikes, boiled them, put some soap around the inside diameter and slid them over my existing grips. Rode to work today and only felt a bit of tingling in my throttle hand thumb, due to the fact that I think my gloves have shrunk a bit and are really tight in the fingers. Overall very happy with the results from the foam grips.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
You are probably gripping too hard and have your shoulders locked. Try to relax a bit.

Try a Cramp Buster to relieve cramps in the wrist and resulting hand vibrations. About $10 at any dealer.

YES! You shouldn't be putting any weight at all (ideally) on your hands. Try holding yourself up with your core and staying LOOSE on the grips.

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, My bike was shaking the screws out in multiple places after using 20w50 in an oil change. :spank: I was thinking of high heat/high revs. Went back to 15w40 which is perfect. :thumbup:

AutoXer

Reaction score
Visit site
When I switched to my '05 FZ6 from a '92 XT600 Seca II (that's the Diversion in Europe for you Euro riders) I immediately suffered from tingly to completely numb hands after less than 20 miles. Situation solved with Gen-Mar bar risers (1-inch), a slight change in the bar angle, and Olympia gloves with a gel pad in the palm - no problems on all-day rides with the FZ6 now.

jZ