novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Just about any bicycle tire pump will work just fine. You can get the CO2 type units, or the manual pump ones. I use a very old Specialized Air Force 4 pump(it's about 10 years old). It's a bit slow, and attaching it to the valve stems can be a bit of a pain, but it's better than miles of extension cord and the loud electric pump. :thumbup:

Here's some that will work :

Hurricane Quick Shot Pro CO2 Inflation System - Bike Pumps

Topeak Mt. Rocket Al Mini Pump - Frame Mount Pumps

How many Co2s to fill a motorcycle tire?:confused:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
How many Co2s to fill a motorcycle tire?:confused:

More than I'd like to carry.

Plus it's kind of a 1 and done fix - If you still have a slow leak after using all of your cartridges to fill the tire 50 miles outside of civilization, you're not really any better off than someone without a pump.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
More than I'd like to carry.

Plus it's kind of a 1 and done fix - If you still have a slow leak after using all of your cartridges to fill the tire 50 miles outside of civilization, you're not really any better off than someone without a pump.

So a small hand held pump?:confused:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
That's my thought. I've pumped up a car tire with a hand pump before, I never want to do it again, but it is possible. I'd just stick with something I know will work for that rare occasion I need it.

I'm really sounding like an old curmudgeon. Go with technology, what do I know?

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
That's my thought. I've pumped up a car tire with a hand pump before, I never want to do it again, but it is possible. I'd just stick with something I know will work for that rare occasion I need it.

I'm really sounding like an old curmudgeon. Go with technology, what do I know?

I know I can trust a hand held?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
this is what i carry on my road bike:

http://biketires.pl/data/gfx/pictures/large/5/8/2785_2.jpg

ive put over 100psi in those tires with this pump. its a compact high volume, high pressure pump. Lezyne also makes a hand pump that can also use a CO2 assist. i would go to any respectable bike shop and see what they have. chances are whatever they carry will be a quality product.

look for: Lezyne, Crank Brothers, Topeak, Blackburn, or Park Tool

you only need about 25psi to get you home. the bike will feel sluggish, but so will you if you try to put 35psi in a motorcycle tire.

where do you plan on mounting/storing the pump. i would get the biggest "frame pump" you can. bigger = fewer pumps = less frustration. no frame pump will be too big for a tank bag.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, I use the small pumps for maintaining tire pressure. Like when they're down 1-5psi. Any more than that and it's not worth the effort.

For fixing a flat, you can get a small electric, but it will take it's toll on the battery, so best to do it while the bike is running. I've got this one :
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363552005&sr=8-1&keywords=slime+pump]Slime 40001 Motorcycle Tire Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

It comes with leads that you can wire up to the battery, much like a tender. In fact, it's the same type of connector as tender leads.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, I use the small pumps for maintaining tire pressure. Like when they're down 1-5psi. Any more than that and it's not worth the effort.

For fixing a flat, you can get a small electric, but it will take it's toll on the battery, so best to do it while the bike is running. I've got this one :
Slime 40001 Motorcycle Tire Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive

It comes with leads that you can wire up to the battery, much like a tender. In fact, it's the same type of connector as tender leads.

About how long does it take for a slime to fill atire to 25psi?:confused:

A friend gave me a Bell hand held from his Trek for free. It fits under my seat with ease.:rockon:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Slime 40001 Motorcycle Tire Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive

Not a bad idea. I have a bigger Slime model I use in my garage, which is very handy for the bike and the car. I always hate having to pay for air at local gas stations in areas I'm not familiar with. I may have to get one of these!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Pay for air ! I hope thats a joke.

The air is free, compressing it costs money! :BLAA:

I've got a CO2 inflator/tiny pump I keep under my seat. I just tried the pump part of it last weekend, and it's no bueno. For a little tiny bike tire, sure, but it didn't do squat to my front tire. If you wanted to go with CO2, do yourself a favor and get one that can use 12g unthreadeds, AKA BB gun cylinders. You can buy them by the case at Wally World or a sporting goods store, instead of paying a couple bucks each or more for 16g or 20g cartridges. I keep about 5 of them in my tool bag, 2-3 should handle a tire with very little air, maybe even a total flat. I've used a single one to top off both tires from a winter of sitting.

I was trying to find a compact way to adapt a paintball tank, but came up short outside of a simple open hose and no regulator (full ~700psi CO2). They've got 9oz tanks that are pretty small, and those $3-4 throwaway ones at Wally World that are pretty big.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Other options are:
  • Ride only in California, where it is mandated by state law that all gas stations must provide free air and water.
  • Have a flat tire close enough to a Get-Go (giant eagle gas station) or Shell, where air is free. (but usually the pump will be 'broken')
  • Fill up your tires at a Conrads, Mr Tire, or one of those kind of shops, they usually will let you get air for free there.

I also remember reading something somewhere that a certain order of button presses will turn on the compressor for free, but I couldn't find it today.