Hand brake light not functional

Ken's MKV

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

So I was checking out my FZ6 a little closer today (actually had some time from school work) and noticed that the rear brake light is not working when I squeeze the handlebar lever. It works for the foot brake though. Bike is running etc. Ideas?

Cheers
Ken

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1.... and if the bike is used, it may have a grunged up switch.

+1

This happened toe with only 5k on the clock. Pulled it off per recommendations, cleaned it up, ad it has worked great since.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Check it from a mechanical standpoint as well. Mine was staying ON all the time because the switch had worn physically. I had to build it up with some JB weld to reinstate the proper contact.

Ken's MKV

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm, I can hear the switch clicking when I depress the lever so maybe its faulty like you all said. I'll start by getting a new one so I can rule the part out. Will keep you updated. Thanks again :)

Cheers
Ken

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hm, I can hear the switch clicking when I depress the lever so maybe its faulty like you all said. I'll start by getting a new one so I can rule the part out. Will keep you updated. Thanks again :)

Cheers
Ken

You should be able to pull to two connectors off the switch and jumper them with a paper clip to see if the circuit works. If it works you can buy a new switch. If it doesn't work there is another problem and you probably will save a few bucks on a switch you don't need. Have you checked the plugs on the switch? They are push on connectors......:D

Ken's MKV

Reaction score
Visit site
You should be able to pull to two connectors off the switch and jumper them with a paper clip to see if the circuit works. If it works you can buy a new switch. If it doesn't work there is another problem and you probably will save a few bucks on a switch you don't need. Have you checked the plugs on the switch? They are push on connectors......:D

Okay, great idea. I went out and tried it :) With the paperclip the light was working so it must be the switch. Will be replacing it next week. Thanks for the suggestion.

Um, can I hire you as a personal mechanic until I get used to the mechanics of the bike? My Vespa had a little of a different engine configuration :BLAA:

Cheers
Ken

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
This happened to me earlier on in week. Little bit of wire showed the connectors were fine, just the switch. So ordered a new one off Arthur's Bike Spares on ebay (UK) and it works a treat!

The Yamaha part code for the switch is 4HM-83980-00-00