Hall's Gap here I come.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
She can't take much more of this capt'n. She's goona bloow:spank::spank:....

I've had enough of playing target for every drongo with a set of car keys so I thought I'd hit the road:confused:.

I know this sounds a little paradoxical but when you see where Hall's gap is and what the nearby roads are like, factor in that I'm heading over on no particular special occasion, not to mention all the fires about at the moment and it should all be pretty quiet:thumbup:.

Going soft this time. No swag. Got my accommodation booked already and am looking forward to a luxury bike cruise:rockon:.

I'll be taking some clobber and some fishing gear. That's about the extent of my needs for this one.:D

I'll have my batteries charged and my card empty so I will be able to get some ripper pics I imagine.

This is going to be a recce also for a cage driven kayak trip later on. I reckon I can get in amongst the trout at the right time of year in the right places from my yak:cheer:.

Leaving Thursday just after Midday and getting back Saturday arvo.

Total travel to and from motel = 500km or 1000return plus there is a slight chance I'll be absolutely blitzing my way through all those glorious twisties for a number of hours each day...lol.:Flip:

Probably 1600km all up I'm guessing:rockon:. Not too shabby for a three day tour.

This ought to be fantastic.
http://www.grampiansmotel.com.au/

Cheers
Mike

She can't take much more of this capt'n. She's goona bloow:spank::spank:....

I've had enough of playing target for every drongo with a set of car keys so I thought I'd hit the road:confused:.

I know this sounds a little paradoxical but when you see where Hall's gap is and what the nearby roads are like, factor in that I'm heading over on no particular special occasion, not to mention all the fires about at the moment and it should all be pretty quiet:thumbup:.

Going soft this time. No swag. Got my accommodation booked already and am looking forward to a luxury bike cruise:rockon:.

I'll be taking some clobber and some fishing gear. That's about the extent of my needs for this one.:D

I'll have my batteries charged and my card empty so I will be able to get some ripper pics I imagine.

This is going to be a recce also for a cage driven kayak trip later on. I reckon I can get in amongst the trout at the right time of year in the right places from my yak:cheer:.

Leaving Thursday just after Midday and getting back Saturday arvo.

Total travel to and from motel = 500km or 1000return plus there is a slight chance I'll be absolutely blitzing my way through all those glorious twisties for a number of hours each day...lol.:Flip:

Probably 1600km all up I'm guessing:rockon:. Not too shabby for a three day tour.

This ought to be fantastic.
http://www.grampiansmotel.com.au/

Cheers
Mike

Make sure you check out Mc Kenzie Falls & Lagoon....pure paradise....

Looks like you, Matty, & Me will be clocking up a few Km's in the next couple of weeks, it's gonna be about 2500km's on the PI WSBK trip for Matty (Silverback) & Me!

Nice to see you breaking free of the Adelaide Hills & surrounds for a change...i love the long distance stuff...pure riding at it's best...Go Mikey!

Make sure you check out Mc Kenzie Falls & Lagoon....pure paradise....

Looks like you, Matty, & Me will be clocking up a few Km's in the next couple of weeks, it's gonna be about 2500km's on the PI WSBK trip for Matty (Silverback) & Me!

Nice to see you breaking free of the Adelaide Hills & surrounds for a change...i love the long distance stuff...pure riding at it's best...Go Mikey!

Unfortunately for me after 30 or more trips across the Hay plains and loads of trips from Ipswich to Adelaide or Emerald or just about anywhere else you care to mention I usually can't wait to get where I'm going. Fishing, riding and basically slothing about doing as I please make it worth it, but that zooming along in a straight line could only be made better by an increase in the speed limits to around 180km/h I reckon. < 3 hour trip then...lol.

Unless there's something to see, but i've driven to Melbourne and back too many times for anything but sheer boredom and the constant need to back off so I don't get a ticket:spank::spank::spank:.

Can't wait to visit the Gamps but...lol.:thumbup::cheer::rockon::D

Unfortunately for me after 30 or more trips across the Hay plains and loads of trips from Ipswich to Adelaide or Emerald or just about anywhere else you care to mention I usually can't wait to get where I'm going. Fishing, riding and basically slothing about doing as I please make it worth it, but that zooming along in a straight line could only be made better by an increase in the speed limits to around 180km/h I reckon. < 3 hour trip then...lol.

Unless there's something to see, but i've driven to Melbourne and back too many times for anything but sheer boredom and the constant need to back off so I don't get a ticket:spank::spank::spank:.

Can't wait to visit the Gamps but...lol.:thumbup::cheer::rockon::D

I was only thinking today, whilst driving down some of these dead straight roads in the middle of nowhere, where i saw about 6 cars in 2 hours...that 110km/h does not make sense....140km/h limit would be at least a bit more sensible.

Really, it is silly! 110km/h is not that fast in that situation.

I was only thinking today, whilst driving down some of these dead straight roads in the middle of nowhere, where i saw about 6 cars in 2 hours...that 110km/h does not make sense....140km/h limit would be at least a bit more sensible.

Really, it is silly! 110km/h is not that fast in that situation.

To be fair, at night with skippies then OK maybe. But I have to agree. During the day I'd be perfectly comfie with 180 myself.

To be fair, at night with skippies then OK maybe. But I have to agree. During the day I'd be perfectly comfie with 180 myself.

At night, with Skippies...any speed is dangerous!!! Scariest ride of my life to Loxton at 3am a few weeks ago....never again! and i love a challenge, but that was downright horrifying!

But during the day, when you can see for miles & miles, and also see for miles either side of the road,,,surely the limit could be higher!

At night, with Skippies...any speed is dangerous!!! Scariest ride of my life to Loxton at 3am a few weeks ago....never again! and i love a challenge, but that was downright horrifying!

But during the day, when you can see for miles & miles, and also see for miles either side of the road,,,surely the limit could be higher!

Guarantee they'd cut down on falling asleep at the wheel accidents to.

Exhilaration and the short time to destination would outweigh fatigue on those long open roads.

I,ve never been there Mike ,past it heaps of times ,but never went in :(
Looking forward to your pics and write up.Have a good one and stay safe mate :thumbup:

I,ve never been there Mike ,past it heaps of times ,but never went in :(
Looking forward to your pics and write up.Have a good one and stay safe mate :thumbup:

LMAO...I've never done the Grampians either. Every time I'd drive past I'd look at the signs and think it was worth a look but never really got round to it.

Or I'd head over to Nelson at the bottom of the Glenelg river for a Mulloway hunt but I've been meaning to do it and although this is spur of the moment-ish I've been thinking about it long enough to have an idea of where to go and what to do.

Also the place is chock full of geocaches and it looks like a never before found one:rockon::rockon:.

Should come back with my memory card full I reckon...lol.

Cheers
Mike

Been checking the weather in that neck of the woods, and it looks to be perfect most of the time. There'll be some rain on the Friday hopefully and this should wash off a lot of the oil, then the roads will dry out, heat up and be stickier than silverback snot:rockon::rockon::rockon::eek:

Also should make for some great mist in the mountains shots. Pity about the damage to my bike. I'll have to take all my photos from one side:spank::spank::spank:...lol.

Cheers
Mike

Sounds like a great trip mate , the Gramps are awesome although its been 15 years since i was there last.....Fishing and biking ahhhh life doesnt get much better does it ? :D....Have a great time mate , take lots of pic's and catch a few for me will you :thumbup:....Ohh and stay safe too....

Don't forget F/U Iced coffee and pies...lol....Ahhhh. Life is good...lol.:thumbup:

Phew! Just remembered to get my Vic fishing permit. This is the first time that I've nearly forgotten...lol. It's all sorted now though. Bike checked out, tire gauge and pump packed. Gps and other toys ready to rock. Time to sort out fishing gear and clobber.

I have got to get myself a break down fly rod. The only fly rod I've got is 8 feet long and one pce...lol. I've discovered that with no swag I can carry tons of stuff that all sits behind me and doesn't add to drag...lol.:cheer: This means I can take some walking boots and do some of the harder Geocaches:D.

Cheers
Mike

Don't forget F/U Iced coffee and pies...lol....Ahhhh. Life is good...lol.:thumbup:

Phew! Just remembered to get my Vic fishing permit. This is the first time that I've nearly forgotten...lol. It's all sorted now though. Bike checked out, tire gauge and pump packed. Gps and other toys ready to rock. Time to sort out fishing gear and clobber.

I have got to get myself a break down fly rod. The only fly rod I've got is 8 feet long and one pce...lol. I've discovered that with no swag I can carry tons of stuff that all sits behind me and doesn't add to drag...lol.:cheer: This means I can take some walking boots and do some of the harder Geocaches:D.

Cheers
Mike

Ahh yes F/U iced coffee and dont forget the Sunnyboys :thumbup: , ohhh nearly forgot the RUM...There you go another Aussie :hijack: by grog :justkidding:....Have a ripper time Mike , you'll have to head up here and give me some fly fishing tips oneday :thumbup:

Ahh yes F/U iced coffee and dont forget the Sunnyboys :thumbup: , ohhh nearly forgot the RUM...There you go another Aussie :hijack: by grog :justkidding:....Have a ripper time Mike , you'll have to head up here and give me some fly fishing tips oneday :thumbup:

LMAO. Tips? That'd be a case of the blind leading the blind then. I've caught a total of 1 bream on salt water fly after one outing, unless you count the 20 minutes practice in the old man's back yard before hand...lol. And that one fish was from a kayak which just totally changes the technique as you are sitting on the water.

If I even knew I didn't have a clue that'd be something but I don't even know that...lol.:confused:

If you need someone to show you how to launch a 6oz sinker 160m out onto a spot the size of a dining table in a cross wind using an Alvey and a 14 foot surf rod, then I'm your man:rockon::rockon:...lol.

I'll be taking my 7foot telescopic and a couple 4&1/2 foot 1-3kg ugly sticks with Pflueger Contenders full of Mustad Ultra Braid in 15lb and 19lb which are the lightest they seem to have. Same diameter as a lot of lighter braids and in my kayak in all sorts of conditions I still am yet to have a wind knot.

Need to soak the knots in alcohol before use. Preferably single malt Scotch Whiskey (Glenmorangie for the best results) ...lol.

Thread is totally hijacked now...lol:hijack::eek:.

Mike's fishing tackle thread:rockon:.

Cheers
Mike

Back