Group test-FZ8 gets shredded

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found that with the price of the FZ6, I was happy to sink around $2k in mods to create a beast. The FZ8 was sluggish compared to my expectations, although I'm sure as with the 6, it would benefit immensely with $2k thrown into pipe/commander etc.

But as we've all said, the price isn't great so you shouldn't have to spend anything.

The one thing in it's defense is that it's geared the same as the FZ1. I'd bet a -1 front, +1 rear would work wonders, and may just completely change opinions. I wish I could tinker with the shop demo.

Such potential, but damned if I'd spend $14,500AUD, then $2.5k on parts, where I'd have an FZ1 with change or nearly a Z1000.

One more thing - the FZ8 feels far more nimble than the 1 but it has a 180 rear. Which is do-able on the FZ1 if nimbleness is what you value. I say this because the sales guys here are raving about it manouverability - but I don't think it's a fair comparison.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
This thread pretty much sums up what others were saying in Rumpole of the Bailey's thread from a few days ago.

The FZ8 is overpriced for its level of performance, and does not stack up against its competition.

With numbers like that it doesn't stack up against the FZ6:

FZ8: 0-60 in 3.64 secs 0-100 in 8.10 secs 0-120 in 13.14 secs top speed 141 MPH Standing quarter 11.93secs at 115.87 mph

FZ6: 0-60 in 3.44 secs 0-100 in 7.87 secs 0-120 in not found secs top speed 227.8 kmh or 141.55 MPH Standing quarter 11.30 secs at 119.42 mph
(Reference: Honda 599 vs. Suzuki SV650 vs. Yamaha FZ6 - Road Test & Middleweight Motorcycle Comparison Review - Motorcyclist Online & Yamaha FZ6 Fazer)

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't actually test ridden one (although now I might need too) but I'm somewhat dubious about this review.

Firstly I've seen a few other reviews which may not have raved about the bike but have certainly given it a good solid wrap, and actually said its a good step up from the FZ6. Whether I agree on the last point however.....

This aside its times aren't that different than the other bikes listed, and you have to wonder if the bikes feel may not be whats really setting it aside from the other bikes, instead of its performance. Again I'll have to try one when I get a chance but the review really gives the bike the kind of numbers that I'd expect to see from a bunch of triumph/ducati ho's who won't ride anything that isn't italian/british and doesn't either break down every 5 minutes or require a service costing half the bikes value :p

The price is a bit ludicrous, but what would you call it apart from a naked sportsbike, last time I checked 'sports' is pretty much the lowest common demoninator when it comes to road bikes that aren't pure tourers or cruisers.

Comparing it to the Street Triple as well? Its a 675 engine, lets be honest it doesn't belong in the comparison unless your adding the FZ6 in there too. Sure thats two of the same brand bikes, but sorry the only thing that should have the triple R included is the fact its bloody expensive too.

Also worth mentioning is its a brand new release, which may need a few tweeks, something all the other bikes have certainly managed, and while I personally don't really find it that appealing I find their ratings of the bike to be not only unrealistic but also rather insulting. 1/10? Refusing to give it a rating for hooning, I mean unless it has taken nothing at all from the FZ6 I can't see it being gutless once you get the revs up, and it really just makes me question the reviewers credibility.

I'll definately have to test ride one now just to see what its like :p

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
The Street Triple R is £800 cheaper than the FZ8,so I don't get what you mean about it being expensive?

And as much as I love my FZ6 I know that the Triple wipes the floor with it,so I would imagine the testers were more than a bit surprised,that it's bigger and so called much improved brother couldn't get anywhere close.

I honestly believe that after the hype surrounding the FZ8, people were expecting something groundbreaking and the disappointment in finding out that it isn't is showing in the road tests.

After all,have you read any of the road tests of the all singing all dancing VFR?
Again most have found it to be more than wanting.

As for the naked sportsbike bit,I get what you mean,but are Yamaha really going to market the FZ8 Fazer as a Sportsbike? I'm going to hate reading the review when they put it back to back against the likes of the GSXR 750......

Last edited:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oh ****, I might be one of the big defenders of the fz8 here, as I loved its looks..
but this hurts :(
I don't want a new FZ6, but theres nothing like it out there.. (fazer that is)....

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
I like it's looks, and I bet for 90% of us here we couldn't begin to find the limits of it, or our current fizzer. The price really opens it up to the scrutiny IMO.

I've ridden the Triumph's. They do not belong in a shootout with the FZ8. They are in a class on their own. I loved them, but I don't think I'd be sport touring on one.

I venture a guess the new 8 is as much machine as our beloved 6....that price will haunt it for sure. The FZ6R is really the direct replacement for the FZ6 to me, and I don't like it much at all. It's a beginner sportbike.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Still waiting for someone to post an open link to the article for those of us without a subscription to this mag. PDF anyone?

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
The Street Triple R is £800 cheaper than the FZ8,so I don't get what you mean about it being expensive?

And as much as I love my FZ6 I know that the Triple wipes the floor with it,so I would imagine the testers were more than a bit surprised,that it's bigger and so called much improved brother couldn't get anywhere close.

I honestly believe that after the hype surrounding the FZ8, people were expecting something groundbreaking and the disappointment in finding out that it isn't is showing in the road tests.

After all,have you read any of the road tests of the all singing all dancing VFR?
Again most have found it to be more than wanting.

As for the naked sportsbike bit,I get what you mean,but are Yamaha really going to market the FZ8 Fazer as a Sportsbike? I'm going to hate reading the review when they put it back to back against the likes of the GSXR 750......
Define "wipes the floor". I test rode a Street Triple R and liked it well enough. If my FZ6 were gone I would seriously consider buying one. But, it did not seem tons better especially considering how much less I paid for a NOS '08 last year.

Tim

arless

Reaction score
Visit site
Fast Bikes have done a back to back road test between all the 'New breed' of naked middleweights,ie the 7-800 cc class.
The contenders are-

FZ8 N - £7,799
Ducati Monster 796 - £6,995
Triumph street Triple R - £6,999
BMW F800 R - £7,695
Kawasaki Z750 - £5,995

They rated them from 1-10 On Track,Fast Road,Hooligan,New Rider,Desirability.

This is how the FZ8 N fared

Track - 1 out of 10 "Too low and too slow" If all that matters is how fast the new FZ8 is then go buy a R6 or R1 or some other hyper sports bike. This bike is an extra bike to putt around town and the back roads riding. A 11.23 sec. Quarter mile time will get the blood pumping on anyone riding nuff said
Fast Road - 3 out of ten "Still too low,but easy enough to cane"
Hooligan - 1 out of ten "No Chance,next question"
New rider - 9 out of ten "Perfect for ditching the 'L's
Desirability - 5 out of ten "Nice lines,but lacks swagger"

Next up Performance,as tested with data logging equipment.

FZ8 N 0-60 in 3.64 secs 0-100 in 8.10 secs 0-120 in 13.14 secs top speed 141 MPH Standing quarter 11.93secs at 115.87 mph

Kawasaki Z750 0-60 in 3.50 secs 0-100 in 7.88 secs 0-120 in 13.06 secs top speed 145 MPH Standing quarter 11.68 secs at 116.80 mph

BMW F800R 0-60 in 3.94 secs 0-100 in 9.33 secs 0-120 in 15.99 secs top speed 133 MPH Standing quarter 12.55 secs at 110.93 mph

Ducati Monster 796 0-60 in 3.74 secs 0-100 in 9.10 secs 0-120 in 15.66 secs top speed 135 MPH Standing quarter 12.26 secs at 112.55 mph.

Triumph Speed Triple R 0-60 in 3.38 secs 0-100 in 7.61 secs 0-120 in 11.38 secs top speed 144 MPH Standing quarter 10.56 secs at 120.67 mph.

The general upshot is that the FZ8 is £2000 more than what it should be and that by marketing it as a naked sportsbike,they should be sued under the Trade Descriptions act.

This sums it up for them -

"Yamaha reckon this isn't a bike for beginners.They obviously haven't ridden it.It wouldn't scare a delicate 70 year old with dementia.There's no charisma and as for attitude? It wouldn't retaliate if you shagged it's Mum" :eek:

"The FZ8 falls short by a long way,unless you want an overpriced naked bike that's severely limited.It's slightly cruel pitching it against such opposition,but that's where Yamaha want it to sit"

I'm guessing it didn't exactly win their hearts and minds.....:D

Link to magazine here - New Issue ON SALE NOW!
Fz8 best street bike out there for the money also the FZ1 is also the best bang for the money also nuff said:D

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
What a bummer. I guess if I'm going to upgrade it will be a Ninja1000. It would be sweet if there was a Ninja750 in the works. $11,300 USD is a bit much for my budget. Plus the 1000cc insurance is a bit more also.