great commercial for lane filtering.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Considering that less than 5% of motorcycle accidents are from the rear, yet 33% of the fatalities (my stats may be off a little I didn't look the study back up.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSRY7RxMF1g]Motorcycle Lane Filtering -- Why It Should Be Legal -- Maurice Blackburn Lawyers -- Stop SMIDSY - YouTube[/ame]

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
This comes up now and then. I still wonder what the other statistics are for filtering. Obviously if you're between cars you can't really be rear ended, but what of someone not seeing you and cutting you off? How likely are those accidents?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This comes up now and then. I still wonder what the other statistics are for filtering. Obviously if you're between cars you can't really be rear ended, but what of someone not seeing you and cutting you off? How likely are those accidents?

I can give you one statistic I know: out of all fatal motorcycle crashes in the nation, only 3% are the ones where the bike is hit from behind.

I would absolutely LOVE it if lane splitting was legal in my state, BUT.. I would want everyone to know that it IS legal and it's a good thing. Unfortunately reality: drivers will NOT know this and they'll act as if you're taking away their last meal. Not all, but some.

As always, we get a bad reputation from a-holes flying between cars at 90 while the traffic is moving at 70.. this makes car drivers hate us all and rightfully so :(

The few times I've done it here, I've been cut off, honked at, given angry looks, etc. And this was with traffic at absolute stand-still while I was moving 10mph, if that.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i might have some fun footage of me lane filtering the other day

you have to be hyper-aware when you do it and look out for cars that may try and pull out. you can usually tell what they are planning from their movements before they even put their indicators on. I don't tend to go more than 15-20mph faster than the flow of traffic, and keep it in a low gear so i can engine brake, and to make my bike a bit louder

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
here it is, it's just normal riding, i was riding to my friend's house, and i record all my rides for insurance purposes

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXjfRV5Qoyc]filtering - YouTube[/ame]

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand the need and desire to filter but it does put the rider in more danger than not. Most cars are not paying attention to their mirrors while in slow traffic and tend to suddenly cut lanes or ride down the lines without warning. All it takes is one motorcyclist to bump a car mirror and that driver will be out to get filterers from then on out!

Just grateful I don't have to ride in an area that has traffic congestion. :Flip:

paperpirate

Reaction score
Visit site
we can legally filter in uk but some people think we shouldnt be allowed and purposefully move out to block you. it is quick and if traffic is stopped still ill tootle at 15mph so plenty of time to react if anyone decides to pull out. they normally get an earfull or their mirror slapped for being so curtious :spank:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the only place in the US where lane splitting is tolerated (not sure of the legality issue) is California but at any rate I believe if the surrounding cars are moving fast enough to quickly change lanes than lane splitting should probably be avoided. But I guess in the end it's up to the individual motorcyclist to determine which is the greater hazard, being hit from behind by a tailgater or from the side by a vehicle changing lanes.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
The few times I've done it here, I've been cut off, honked at, given angry looks, etc. And this was with traffic at absolute stand-still while I was moving 10mph, if that.

Same here. The perception is that you're "cheating." The reality is, you're helping everyone get to their destination faster. People don't see that because you're now in front of them. But what about the 1, 2, 50 bikes that were in front of them that are now already at their destination because they filtered?

I try to argue my point with these analogies:

Are HOV lanes good or bad? The answer is always good because there are more people in less cars. This gets people to their destination more efficiently. Followup question... would you get to work faster if everyone on the road drove tractor-trailers, or smart cars? Obvious, right? Again, the higher the ratio of people vs. vehicle space, the faster they arrive at their destination. The road is a limited resource, and one solution to congestion is using it more efficiently.

Now these are simple points that no sane person will argue against. The gotcha is that filtering utilizing unused space on a limited resource. They're already built, FREE, HOV lanes! Legalizing it and educating the public will promote riding and get EVERYONE to their destination faster. People with half a brain will see this logic because it's friggin' bulletproof. Unfortunately, most people don't possess this.

It should be legal for slow/sitting traffic, period.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For a long time it was not declared legal in California. It was also not declared illegal in the state. It was very common and if you were prudent in it's practice law enforcement was okay with it and actually had guideline for the practice. California law finally declared it legal. It may seem tricky to those that don't have experience doing it and it should be done under the prescribed guidelines where you would have time to stop. I don't think you should do it without having some experience reading traffic.

I've also had people try to block me from doing it which is illegal and put me in jeopardy. The fact that I was at a slower speed made it possible for me to stop. This prevented damage to this heroic citizen's car and myself, in their effort to save other citizens from a scofflaw such as me. For the better part of my experience people are fine with it and I always practice it in an unoffensive manner. :)

California Motorcyclist Safety Program

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm all in favor of splitting, but if this became legal in all 50 states at the same time, the number of crashes I believe may increase just due to the fact that a majority of the riders will lack the mental and physical riding skills to split. It's definitely not for the beginning or less skilled rider. And it's a two party process, what makes splitting safe is also combining the drivers who have the awareness that splitting is legal, something that most California drivers have. I have a friend in California who has never ridden a motorcycle in his life, but has a good enough presence to be aware that whenever traffic begins to back up, he knows that the likelihood a motorcyclist to split lanes will be great.

I would go as far as introducing a mandatory classroom and riding skills test in order to legally split in that state. It could be recognized on your license plate indicating that you are allowed to do so. This would filter out the riders who have no business splitting from the first place due to their lack of poor or riding experience. As Motogiro mentioned, "Reading Traffic" is a must!

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd LOVE for this to be legalized here in NJ...I might not go as filter wild as Greg up there but there are many lights where I'm behind 3 or 4 cars and there's clear room to just shoot right to the front....everyone'd win!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Same here. The perception is that you're "cheating." The reality is, you're helping everyone get to their destination faster. People don't see that because you're now in front of them. But what about the 1, 2, 50 bikes that were in front of them that are now already at their destination because they filtered?

I try to argue my point with these analogies:

Are HOV lanes good or bad? The answer is always good because there are more people in less cars. This gets people to their destination more efficiently. Followup question... would you get to work faster if everyone on the road drove tractor-trailers, or smart cars? Obvious, right? Again, the higher the ratio of people vs. vehicle space, the faster they arrive at their destination. The road is a limited resource, and one solution to congestion is using it more efficiently.

Now these are simple points that no sane person will argue against. The gotcha is that filtering utilizing unused space on a limited resource. They're already built, FREE, HOV lanes! Legalizing it and educating the public will promote riding and get EVERYONE to their destination faster. People with half a brain will see this logic because it's friggin' bulletproof. Unfortunately, most people don't possess this.

It should be legal for slow/sitting traffic, period.

I fully agree with that logic. The reality is that people in traffic are frustrated and seeing someone on a motorcycle getting through traffic quickly in a way that they cannot attempt makes them bitter. They hate you because you have the freedom to do something that they can't do and because of that they will give you a hard time.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I might not go as filter wild as Greg up there but there are many lights where I'm behind 3 or 4 cars and there's clear room to just shoot right to the front....everyone'd win!

I wouldn't call that wild, the guys on the M25 in london do it at 70+mph between moving traffic :eek:

I always ensure I can stop if needed, and am very aware of my surroundings, the wide angle lens probably exaggerates how close it looks.

Going to the front of a queue at set of traffic lights is a definite benefit though, I usually nose to the front if there's space or go behind the front car so I don't appear too cheeky.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't call that wild, the guys on the M25 in london do it at 70+mph between moving traffic :eek:

I always ensure I can stop if needed, and am very aware of my surroundings, the wide angle lens probably exaggerates how close it looks.

Going to the front of a queue at set of traffic lights is a definite benefit though, I usually nose to the front if there's space or go behind the front car so I don't appear too cheeky.
And plus I'm not skilled in doing that sort of thing so that adds to it, good on you though. I'm jealous

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm all in favor of splitting, but if this became legal in all 50 states at the same time, the number of crashes I believe may increase just due to the fact that a majority of the riders will lack the mental and physical riding skills to split. It's definitely not for the beginning or less skilled rider. And it's a two party process, what makes splitting safe is also combining the drivers who have the awareness that splitting is legal, something that most California drivers have. I have a friend in California who has never ridden a motorcycle in his life, but has a good enough presence to be aware that whenever traffic begins to back up, he knows that the likelihood a motorcyclist to split lanes will be great.

I would go as far as introducing a mandatory classroom and riding skills test in order to legally split in that state. It could be recognized on your license plate indicating that you are allowed to do so. This would filter out the riders who have no business splitting from the first place due to their lack of poor or riding experience. As Motogiro mentioned, "Reading Traffic" is a must!

Good call Kenny. I am convinced that most Americans are either; 1) Dumb as at Stump, or 2) Dump as a Box of Rocks. Your call.