Gravel 1, Ankle 0...

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
D'oh! Last weekend I went for a ride with a local group to the new Ridge Motorsports Raceway, in Shelton, WA. As we approached the newly paved access road, I turned left at about 8-10 mph. Just as I saw fine, black gravel on the road, I went down fast and hard. I didn't have time to think as I slammed into the ground. I got up, pissed, and I knew something was not right with my ankle, it felt "loose" like my boot broke. My friends helped my get the bike upright and since I was so close, I rode to the track and hobbled over the the ambulance. The pain was not too bad, but the EMTs insisted they take me to get an xray at the ER. I was shocked to find out I broke 2 bones! Sucks to be me, but I was very lucky. People at the track kept an eye on my bike and a local tuner Nels graciously picked up my bike and delivered it to my home the next day! I don't have photos of the bike yet, but here is my xray and a video of my fall. I did not consciously put my arm or foot out into harm's way, but it is scary to see that my natural instinct was to do so. Thank god my all of my gear! I damage to the bike does not look too bad.

IMAG0280.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW9Vpddjrfs&feature=player_embedded"]Video of my crash, it happens near the end [/ame]

lewdfinger

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about your injury. Hope you heal fast!

One second you're up, the next you're down. I hate gravel...

KD

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! Could the car have taken away some of your attention? You obviously had to pay attention to the car since it could potentially pull out in front of you and the sudden change in suface condition caught you off guard.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I've watched the video multiple times and it looks like it was more a case of panic braking inducing a fall than loss of grip due to gravel. If you watch the video you will see the instant your brake lights come on is when you go over. Heal quick!

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I've watched the video multiple times and it looks like it was more a case of panic braking inducing a fall than loss of grip due to gravel. If you watch the video you will see the instant your brake lights come on is when you go over. Heal quick!

Wow! I totally missed that. I don't remember hitting the brakes, but on gravel, even if I just kissed the brakes, it might have been enough to break traction.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about and see the drop hope yr not in pain and the wheels are ok too

I hate gravel and greasy roads, nearly came a cropper twice tonight in the wet. Thx for posting, helps to keep the rest of us alert
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Ugh... sorry to hear about the spill. Sometimes it can be the most mundane and simplest of situations that catch you off guard. Heal up quickly and get back to riding soon!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch. Looks like you were barely turning, not really leaning the bike enough to loose traction on gravel. I lost traction on gravel once but fortunately I didn't see it until I was already over it so I didn't get the chance to panic brake and the bike slid sideways about 6" @ 45 mph on a sweeper. Talk about a pucker moment!

Heal up fast and learn from your mistakes! :thumbup:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Heal up and get back on the bike soon.

Thanks for posting the video. Looks like it happened so fast, I'm not sure if I could have reacted any differently.