Got her all stripped down and ready for winter modding

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well she has been in my basement for over 2 months now, so i guess it is time to get going on her winter tinkering.

Start:
IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

End:
IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

Anyone have any ideas as to how i can clean this up (Carbon build up on my valves):
IMAG0067.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the winter list:

Paint radiator covers
Paint the "Eyelids"
finally remove the warning stickers
shorty levers
Projector HID's
new clutch cable
Oil change
Alarm and possible remote starter
new heated grips
Possibly SS brake lines (front)

Not sure if i will get to it all, but this would all be nice to accomplish in the next month and a half!

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Gonna do the same this weekend.

Give my baby a good service and take her for the first ride if it's +6°c.
Can't wait t'ill summer comes.

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
YOU BROKE IT! :eek: can't wait to see it all done up, as for the carbon... maybe an additive? but yeah i got no clue besides actually taking apart the engine and scrubbing them down. Good luck :thumbup:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if you can just throw some Stabil in there and run the bike for a few tanks.

American Snowmobiler- STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer

I think on my old CBR F4, when I got it, it ran kind of rough. I put Stabil in it to keep the gas fresh and it ran rough still but as I got more gas, it got better. I can't help to think the Stabil helped to clean stuff out at least a little. Warmer weather may have helped plus me rev'ing it like a Honda enjoys.

You have a walkout basement right? was it easy to fit the bike through the door without removing the handlebars? I have a granite step and one more step to get into the door. Do you have the same -- and did you use a ramp? I'm thinking for major mods, the basement might be the place to be (of course, once I can empty the lot of stuff in it).

Dennis

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any ideas as to how i can clean this up (Carbon build up on my valves):

WOW, that looks dirty. There has to be some kind of solution you could run through to clean those valves...I'm going to have to get an answer for myself for that, I'll get back.:thumbup:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
That amount of carbon build up is perfectly normal and not doing any harm at all.Injector cleaner (Wynns or similar) and running premium petrol will make that all but disappear.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
That amount of carbon build up is perfectly normal and not doing any harm at all.Injector cleaner (Wynns or similar) and running premium petrol will make that all but disappear.

So running 93 Octane once in a while is not a bad thing? I run 89 normally.

Thanks,

Dennis

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You have a walkout basement right? was it easy to fit the bike through the door without removing the handlebars? I have a granite step and one more step to get into the door. Do you have the same -- and did you use a ramp? I'm thinking for major mods, the basement might be the place to be (of course, once I can empty the lot of stuff in it).

Dennis

actually, no walkout for me, not yet at least, it is on the list to dig out my side yard and add a walk out. I actually put the bikes down a full bulkhead, 10 stairs...

This year i got an electric winch to slowly lower them down a 11' ramp down the stairs and i will use it to bring them back up too. Last year it was all brute force and luck to get them in and out... NEVER AGAIN

There is a normal sized door at the bottom and both my bike and Keira's fit through without a problem.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny... I also scheduled this weekend to do the winter work. Tires should be at my door tomorrow and I am doing my Hyperpro front springs Saturday. Works out nice to because we are supposed to get 4" of snow tomorrow so it will be nice gettting to do something with the bike as the miserable weather falls on the roads. In fact I will be digging out your old post from when you did your fork oil to help me along.:thumbup: Thanks !

06FZ6_IN

Reaction score
Visit site
actually, no walkout for me, not yet at least, it is on the list to dig out my side yard and add a walk out. I actually put the bikes down a full bulkhead, 10 stairs...

This year i got an electric winch to slowly lower them down a 11' ramp down the stairs and i will use it to bring them back up too. Last year it was all brute force and luck to get them in and out... NEVER AGAIN

There is a normal sized door at the bottom and both my bike and Keira's fit through without a problem.
I'm loving my walk out this winter. I can't imagine winching my bike into the basement, more power to you.
11138_614301652674_27302016_35520623_762698_n.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm loving my walk out this winter. I can't imagine winching my bike into the basement, more power to you.
11138_614301652674_27302016_35520623_762698_n.jpg

when i get to digging a lot and cutting a walk out i will be very happy! but for now, winching is better than leaving them out in the snow...

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
So running 93 Octane once in a while is not a bad thing? I run 89 normally.

Thanks,

Dennis

Sure.

Over here we get Unleaded or super unleaded (not sure of the octane rating) And it really does make a difference to performance engines.

My FZ and Scooby get the good stuff,my wifes car gets unleaded.............:D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Oz, we get a choice of 91, 95 and 98. We run ours on 98. No real noticeable power improvement, but better fuel efficiency.

That's a lot of carbon build up you have, but running 89, I'm not really surprised.

Higher octane should help.

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey on my ATV i saw my valves just like that. A buddy told me to use seafoam from your local auto store. I pourd a little down into each let sit for about 48 hours ( make sure it was enough to cover the valve and get it wet} after the time i stuck a long flex rod down with a cloth on the end. One of the cloths that are smooth no fringes. ALl that nasty **** came right off with no pressure. When i first started the atv up it ran like crap with white smoke fora bout 20 sec then cleared up. After about 5 mins of running i took it all apart looked down and they where very very clean. Just a thought even though i never have done it with the bike yet. Might soon now.. lol

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice Rob! I'm working on getting the ceiling insulated in the garage. I installed a 240v outlet and bought a 19k BTU heater. I'd love to work on the bike but it's much too cold out there this time of the year. Next year will be different!

Oh, the carbon buildup? Twist the throttle once in a while and stop being a Grampa on that poor bike! :rof:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
jeeze, looks like i gotta take the rest of the back off to keep up with you guys :) no real need to though, brandy new back tire already...