Got a BOO BOO today! :(

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
I have no clue how exactly it happened or even what could have cause it. My guess is something got caught between the fender and the tire and caused all of this damage :( Even though I have not felt a single thing while riding, Its not until I came out of Wawa with a sandwich seeing that my rear tire is flat and then noticing all the fender damage while inspecting the tire...:confused:

2011-04-17191653.jpg

2011-04-17191720.jpg

2011-04-17191709.jpg

So....looking for tire suggestions lol

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That tread looks like a Bridgestone BT-020 which was probably the OEM tires. There are a bunch of great tires out there. The BT-023 has replaced the BT-021 which was the suggested replacement for the OEM BT-020.
It's also predicated on what type of riding you do,as well as type of weather, tempuratures, and mileage you're looking for.

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
Those tires had 6k miles on them and still thread left as you can see. Looking to get around same thread wear from what ever it is that I'm going to pick up, these seemed to be ok under all conditions, I dont ride in the rain unless I get cough in it. Anything over 50 degrees out and I'm on 2's. I started this season when it was 40 degrees out, but doubt ill do it again.

Edit.: Yes those are the stock rubbers

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to me 5 years ago. Put a hole just like that one through my fender and I had a flat tire. Only difference is I heard a loud noise and my tire went flat instantly.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at the new Michellin Pilot Road 3.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8XkFhSRX0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8XkFhSRX0[/ame]
(from motorcycle safety magazine)

The New 2011 Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires. You always had to make a choice. The grip of a softer tire – or the durability of a harder tire? But thanks to Michelin 2CT dual-compound technology, MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 tires will offer both grip and further extended durability in one tire. By integrating a soft rubber compound on the tread shoulders with a wear-resistant compound down the middle, Michelin gives you the best of both worlds. The Pilot Road 3 tire is like two tires in one, but focused on high mileage. And focused on high mileage.

Expect the new Pilot Road 3 Tire to be the best combination of wet grip and tread life of any comparable tire. It will inspire rider confidence in challenging conditions, plus get even more mileage. The Pilot Road 3 Tire will surely features 12 sizes covering 94% of all sport touring radial fitments. This Tire will be a vast improvement on other dual-compound tires in the sport touring tire segment. Innovative front and rear tread designs. The Pilot Road 3 2CT tire will surely be an improvement on the Pilot Road and 2CT. They were the Winner of the 2009 Motorrad and Moto Revue sport touring tire tests. The 180/55 ZR 17 rear will be offered also in a ‘B’ version, specifically designed for loaded sport touring or riding two-up.

Revolutionary X Sipe Technology maximizes wet traction

Michelin’s newest technology delivers all-weather performance without compromising tread life or handling
Patented innovation resulting from years of research and development
Two Compound Technology combines tread life and cornering grip

2CT incorporated into all tire sizes, front and rear
Wider soft-compound shoulders on the front tire, compared to its predecessor
High performance and environmentally sound

100% non-aromatic-oil rubber compounds

Last edited:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my OPM tires recently and was going to buy PR3s, but couldn't get hold of a rear so replaced them with BT-23s and couldn't be happpier (they're also cheaper).

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin Pilot Road 2 at motorcyclesuperstore.com for about $244 a set. I bought tires a week ago and it looks like they have all gone up about 10 bucks.

Don't listen to those crazy's down under Michelin's are way better than those Metzler's :)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another vote for the Bridgestone BT-023's. I've probably told these stats a million times, but I think it's helpful to someone that's looking for new tires.

Stock BT-020: 10k miles
Replaced with BT-016: 6k miles
Currently running BT-023 and couldn't be happier with them. Sticky like the 16's but wear like the 20's. Best tire I've ever had. :thumbup:

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
^ I will have to try them next time :)

Just ordered Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's $125 shipped for the rear.