GoPro mounting on a 2007 FZ-6

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Been a while since I posted here. Work + baby + crappy weather in Atlanta.

I managed to snag a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver this week and have been evaluating mounting options for my 2007 FZ-6. I'd like some input here, as the only other related post I found seemed to include 1-2 recommendations for the RAM MOUNTS suction cup mount on the tank with 1-2 adjustable arm extensions.

First, helmet mounting seems right out. I'm not keen on sticking one of those plates to the top or side of my Arai and suffering from the wind shear off the camera. I have the stock windscreen to deal with already.

Second, there's not really any good bars on the stock 2007 onto which o could use the GoPro clamp mount. Has anyone used the clamp mount on the mirror stalk (which seems like it would be shaky anyway)?

Finally, the suction cup from RAM MOUNTS. Are people really using this on the tank? I have one in my car on the windshield and it's pretty heavy and falls off the windshield with temperature changes over time.

It seems to me that it would run a high risk of flying off at high speeds. Not to mention a tether to the camera would be minimally effective since the RAM MOUNTS suction cup is rather sturdy / heavy.

If you respond with solutions, please be sure to include photos of the setup if possible.

Thanks!

nthdegreeburns

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Been a while since I posted here. Work + baby + crappy weather in Atlanta.

I managed to snag a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver this week and have been evaluating mounting options for my 2007 FZ-6. I'd like some input here, as the only other related post I found seemed to include 1-2 recommendations for the RAM MOUNTS suction cup mount on the tank with 1-2 adjustable arm extensions.

First, helmet mounting seems right out. I'm not keen on sticking one of those plates to the top or side of my Arai and suffering from the wind shear off the camera. I have the stock windscreen to deal with already.

Second, there's not really any good bars on the stock 2007 onto which o could use the GoPro clamp mount. Has anyone used the clamp mount on the mirror stalk (which seems like it would be shaky anyway)?

Finally, the suction cup from RAM MOUNTS. Are people really using this on the tank? I have one in my car on the windshield and it's pretty heavy and falls off the windshield with temperature changes over time.

It seems to me that it would run a high risk of flying off at high speeds. Not to mention a tether to the camera would be minimally effective since the RAM MOUNTS suction cup is rather sturdy / heavy.

If you respond with solutions, please be sure to include photos of the setup if possible.

Thanks!

nthdegreeburns

I have stock windscreen, and I use
Eeekit for Action Sports Cameras Monopod Tripod Holder Handlebar Floating Mount | eBay
handlebar mount, for my Sony AZ1VR.
You can find lots of videos, from my blog, in my signature below.
This camera doesn't have external mic ports, so, I basically stuck with it using for liability purposes, not for Vlogging.

I had a helmet mount too, but that's an old helmet, so I don't care about marks, but the sound isn't great because of the wind.
BTW, I use Garmin GPS 1390 with suction mount on my tank, but I'm lazy to add a tether to it still. Everytime I start for a long ride, I say to myself, where is the damn tether.
Let me know If you want a picture of my handlebar, mounted with camera and 12v/USB charger on handle bars and Live View Remote of Sony Action Cam on my handlebar holder/clamp.
I'm planning for this upgrade: '07 handlebar clamp on an '06 - Sportbikes.net

Last edited:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there fellow better blue Atlantean! :D

It sounds like you have ruled out the helmet mount and I don't blame you on the locations you mentioned (top seems dangerous to me, side seems like you'd get wind resistance for sure) - have you seen folks mount to the chin? I got a gopro as a gift recently, and with the front and side mount gopro kits, you get the 'bendable' parts to really manipulate the mount to fit under the chin rather well. So far I don't even notice it while riding to be honest (no extra wind noise or weight issues that I can detect or feel). The mount piece is off to the side and with all the bendables, you can get it centered precisely in front of your chin.

I followed this guy's guide to piecing it together - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hS_mW4efH0
(I haven't cleaned it up and used the 80mm screws he mentions to replace the gopro bolts as yet either)

Ditto on bar mounting not working well (the center bar isn't actually round you'd have to off-center mount it to a handlebar) and I'm with you, the suction cup ones scare me..

Last edited:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have stock windscreen, and I use
Eeekit for Action Sports Cameras Monopod Tripod Holder Handlebar Floating Mount | eBay
handlebar mount, for my Sony AZ1VR.
You can find lots of videos, from my blog, in my signature below.
This camera doesn't have external mic ports, so, I basically stuck with it using for liability purposes, not for Vlogging.

I had a helmet mount too, but that's an old helmet, so I don't care about marks, but the sound isn't great because of the wind.
BTW, I use Garmin GPS 1390 with suction mount on my tank, but I'm lazy to add a tether to it still. Everytime I start for a long ride, I say to myself, where is the damn tether.
Let me know If you want a picture of my handlebar, mounted with camera and 12v/USB charger on handle bars and Live View Remote of Sony Action Cam on my handlebar holder/clamp.
I'm planning for this upgrade: '07 handlebar clamp on an '06 - Sportbikes.net

Doesn't the handlebar clamp move around left to right a lot though? I'd probably want a fixed video point for daily use during a commute, or even a consistent shot for a long tour.

Mach5

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the same situation and just ordered some sticky mounts for the tank. Not crazy about sticking a mount to the tank but the glue will come off with a little elbow grease. The sticky mount seems to be the most stable and out of the way. Interested in what others have used...

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the handlebar clamp move around left to right a lot though? I'd probably want a fixed video point for daily use during a commute, or even a consistent shot for a long tour.

All my videos have the camera positioned in the same place, they come with a rubber piece, it does not to move around.
Please watch a couple of videos, you can skip forward the boring track days and mountain roads ;)

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I went ahead and bought the $11 GoPro screw mount with ball for RAM MOUNTS. I have a RAM MOUNT on my left handlebar for an X-Grip. I guess if I'm not being stupid and turning the bike with the handlebars vs. leaning it / countersteering, the video should be pretty stable.

Is anyone using the double suction cup mount from RAM MOUNTS?

I found it while perusing their catalog...

RAM Dual Suction Cup Base with 1" Ball Base

Also -- what are folks using for safety tethers if riding with the suction cup mount or something on the handlebars? The little GoPro strings look, well -- like little strings. RAM MOUNTS shows para cord in their videos.

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

P.S. - Dang it, I'd be riding and testing this camera if Amazon and USPS hadn't borked shipping. Of all weekends to do it, too.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess if I'm not being stupid and turning the bike with the handlebars vs. leaning it / countersteering, the video should be pretty stable.

But you do use the handlebars to countersteer...

At any rate, countersteering requires so little movement of the handlebars that you'll likely never notice the movement on the camera, especially if you mount the ball towards the inside of the bars. I have the GoPro ball mount and suction cup for my Miata and the video is pretty stable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfz-OXntCoI

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Welp. I got the GoPro mount yesterday -- RAM 1" Ball with Custom GoPro® Hero Adapter -- used this evening on a surface street drive only. I used the handlebar mount (next to the clutch assembly).

The standard arm that I'd been using with my RAM MOUNT X-Grip (for phone / GPS -- RAM Universal X-Grip® Cell/iPhone Holder with 1" Ball) was a bit short. It's the standard length, so I couldn't get the GoPro centered in the windscreen.

I have the suction mount (RAM 3.3" Diameter Suction Cup Base with 1" Ball) in my car. Once I craft a tether, I'll give that a try on my tank. I still think I'll need the longer arm or a 2nd ball and standard length arm.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you mounting the ball? Here is where I place mine and the standard arm reaches fine (2015-07-20 19.13.07.jpg). I have found you don't want a really long arm or the vibrations make the picture funky.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Hero 4 with the side mount and I have been looking at places to mount it on my 2004, right now the favoured position is in front of the right mirror on the top surface of the screen. I like this position because it is the least obtrusive and I can tether the camera to the mirror stalk, however I am not sure about vibrations.

Any opinions on this?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Hero 4 with the side mount and I have been looking at places to mount it on my 2004, right now the favoured position is in front of the right mirror on the top surface of the screen. I like this position because it is the least obtrusive and I can tether the camera to the mirror stalk, however I am not sure about vibrations.

Any opinions on this?

Mirror, after 75 mph with the throttle still open, I can't differentiate between an old/banged up 1995 white civic vs a brand new 2015 dodge charger cop car, and much harder at night.
I'm not sure about others regarding vibrations. Mine is less than 7k miles, if in case it counts.

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
Mirror, after 75 mph with the throttle still open, I can't differentiate between an old/banged up 1995 white civic vs a brand new 2015 dodge charger cop car, and much harder at night.
I'm not sure about others regarding vibrations. Mine is less than 7k miles, if in case it counts.

Ain't that the truth! I just use them to let me know a blob of metal is behind me. I have my GP mounted to my helmet. I can have it on top, side, or middle below the vent. I have an adapter for my mic that runs inside the helmet with a deadcat on it so I don't have to worry about wind noise.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I am having the toughest time finding 1/16 bony coated steel cable / rope to craft a few tethers for the camera. Tried Lowes. Will hit the Home Depot tonight.

Should I be looking at an Ace Hardeare for this sorta thing? I really want to make my own for flexibility's sake.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
So I gave the RAM MOUNT suction cup mount a go on the tank, and I was impressed at the outset -- much better view...

FIRST TANK POSITION

This was the first position I tested, but the mount was never secure...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437864695.988545.jpg

SECOND TANK POSITION

this seemed to work better, and I was able to get a clean mount the few times I tried it...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437864821.798515.jpg

However, with BOTH mounts, I was able to wiggle the mount a little and have the suction fail. Not very confidence inspiring.

Here's WIDE 1080p video from this position...

https://vimeo.com/134511235

Here's NARROW 1080p video from this position...

https://vimeo.com/134511094

HANDLEBAR POSITION

This is the RAM MOUNT on the handlebar, but I really need a second regular arm and ball OR a long arm to get it centered....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437864939.942051.jpg

https://vimeo.com/134511508

https://vimeo.com/134511532

Last edited:

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
So I gave the RAM MOUNT suction cup mount a go on the tank, and I was impressed at the outset -- much better view...

FIRST TANK POSITION

This was the first position I tested, but the mount was never secure...

View attachment 64915

SECOND TANK POSITION

this seemed to work better, and I was able to get a clean mount the few times I tried it...

View attachment 64916

However, with BOTH mounts, I was able to wiggle the mount a little and have the suction fail. Not very confidence inspiring.

https://vimeo.com/134511235

https://vimeo.com/134511094

HANDLEBAR POSITION

This is the RAM MOUNT on the handlebar, but I really need a second regular arm and ball OR a long arm to get it centered....

View attachment 64917

https://vimeo.com/134511508

https://vimeo.com/134511532

If you move the ball mounts a little farther down the handlebars (like in my earlier post) the normal arms are long enough to center the GoPro. The longer the arm or extension from the ball to the GoPro, the more drastic the vibrations are going to be.
2015-07-25 18.14.51.jpg2015-07-25 18.15.06.jpg

Last edited:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=15934]boarder4life81[/MENTION] -- look at my photos. Is that mount thicker on the bottom than a regular RAM MOUNT for handlebars? I pondered moving the existing one today and/or adding a second one on the other side, but the throttle and electric cables looked in the way.