GoPro HD Hero Sale

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't see this posted anywhere on here yet, so I thought I'd share it.

Cycle Gear has the GoPro HD Hero on sale for $239.99! It's good until the 30th too, which is good, because I just bought tires for the car and don't have the spare cash right now. lol They have other GoPro goodies on sale too.

I'll probably get the camera, a spare battery, and maybe a different mount of some sort. then should something happen(like another deer:rolleyes:), I can have it on video!! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah REI is doing the same...

My limited experience with my neighbors HD GoPro has been it has an awesome quality video! When played back on my TV. I have a problem playing the MP4 format on my computer. It's choppy. It plays so many frames and then stops and then so many frames then stops....The computer is fine with other HD playback, DVDs and other formats. Only MP4. has a problem. The camera was set on 720p@60fps. When I slow the playback to about 75% it clears up. So I found a little program that converts to AVI. and it plays fine but the picture is highly degraded. I played video from my regular GoPro and the quality is better than my converted video from the MP4 format. So when I look at what I need to do to use this camera the way I'd like to, I'll need MP4 editing software.(Not too bad) Unknown upgrading to a computer that does everything else perfect.(I could be out riding and recording with my reg GoPro on a bike with $350 in upgrades?)
I would be smart to at least do a search on this and see if it's just a simple driver update somewhere.
The video and software that records the video on this camera is so awesome!

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe try a different player, or codec package for your existing player. Stuttering usually comes down to drivers, and/or codecs. For WMP, I like the CCCP codec package(it's free), as it'll play anything, and as long as the source is ok, it'll play it all smooth as can be.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe try a different player, or codec package for your existing player. Stuttering usually comes down to drivers, and/or codecs. For WMP, I like the CCCP codec package(it's free), as it'll play anything, and as long as the source is ok, it'll play it all smooth as can be.

Yes I was just researching it and found a lot of info on this. There were computer with a lot less capability than mine that were cured with the proper codec.
Thanks again!

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
VLC is probably the best player out there that will play pretty much all formats. And it's free. Try it out moto.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this camera "the one to get"? Or which other ones are equal/better?

Of course not. I have the ContourHD 1080p and I love it. Here's a link to my setup:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/33761-review-scorpion-exo900-contourhd-1080p.html

The problem with the GoPro is there is no way to mount them to a helmet without looking like an idiot. If you're happy with a tank mount or handlebar mount, then I say go for it. But if you want a helmet cam (which is way cooler since it sees what you see), then you have no choice but the ContourHD. They make the GPS model now, which has added features besides the GPS.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I went through the same thing when I first got mine. I went out and bought a new SD card thinking it was due to mine being too slow. I needed one anyways as I was going to have to share the one I had with my camera and it was a bit small, but turned out it was the player/codec.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a very good deal on a GoPro.

The mounts on my original GP have all broken and with the newer HD cameras its not worth replacing. Instead I'm considering the Contour GPS instead. It has a GPS in the camera and in a smaller frame within the window it displays your route on a map via GPS. It's really cool. At $350 and $250 it prices out well with the GP.

Contour >> GPS Video Camera, HD Helmet Camera, and Video Community

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a very good deal on a GoPro.

The mounts on my original GP have all broken and with the newer HD cameras its not worth replacing. Instead I'm considering the Contour GPS instead. It has a GPS in the camera and in a smaller frame within the window it displays your route on a map via GPS. It's really cool. At $350 and $250 it prices out well with the GP.

Contour >> GPS Video Camera, HD Helmet Camera, and Video Community

Holy Crap. Contour is coming out with yet another new camera, the Contour+.
Right after I bought my ContourHD 1080p, they came out with the GPS model, now this. The price of 1080p and GPS will definitely drop now.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
VLC is probably the best player out there that will play pretty much all formats. And it's free. Try it out moto.

Thanks TC, I got VLC a few months ago and it works great except for the HD at higher frame rate. I may need an additional or upgraded codec because I believe my computer has sufficient resource to run these videos.

It would be great to have a Contour and a GoPro. I like the GoPro because I can put it in testier environments and if the lens on the box gets dinged out I can replace it cheaply.

My experience with the GoPro hardware has been interesting. It seems almost not a styrene or common high density polystyrene but more like a cast resin and a little brittle for my liking. Weird stuff and I've actually seen violent reactions from plastics that we discovered by accident in a graphics depart once. This plastic has similar properties in that I think I used alcohol to clean a GoPro mounting foot and it when kaput. Some plastics are highly sensitive when exposed to common chemicals. Beside that, I haven't had a failure except in crashes.
The Contour is no doubt a great HD helmet cam! :rockon:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Moto, what computer/processor do you have? While you may think your computer may be powerful enough to handle HD contents, you may be wrong. I was having problem playing HD last year on my old desktop which was Dell XPS Gen 4, which when I bought it was pretty much one of the fastest computer around (5 yrs ago?). I tried playing 1080p and it was a NO GO. Played some 720p and had better success, but still choppy. Upgraded to a core i7 and wow, smooth as a baby's butt. It just doesn't make sense why you would have problem playing mp4 file since I play them fine using VLC. So I have to conclude that it is your computer hardware that's causing the problem. Time to upgrade! BTW, core i7 rocks! :rockon:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I missed the Contour. That's a sleek looking camera! Price is right too, for the "basic" HD model. How long does the battery last? I see they claim 2.5-3 hours, but I'm wondering if it actually lasts that long. If it does, I think I just found the riding camera for me. LOL

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Moto, what computer/processor do you have? While you may think your computer may be powerful enough to handle HD contents, you may be wrong. I was having problem playing HD last year on my old desktop which was Dell XPS Gen 4, which when I bought it was pretty much one of the fastest computer around (5 yrs ago?). I tried playing 1080p and it was a NO GO. Played some 720p and had better success, but still choppy. Upgraded to a core i7 and wow, smooth as a baby's butt. It just doesn't make sense why you would have problem playing mp4 file since I play them fine using VLC. So I have to conclude that it is your computer hardware that's causing the problem. Time to upgrade! BTW, core i7 rocks! :rockon:

You may be dead on. I'm running a Dell Precision Pent4 @3 Ghz and a 512Mb Nvidia GTS 250. Not to shabby a system. I'm going to up date the video card driver now. In all probability it'll be a codec update because the video on this this is great in everything I run in HD except this MP4 format

I'll run it by the best video guys I know. I have three sons that work and play in the video arenas. They'd say, "Hey Dad come play this video game with us!" In a half hour they'd be laughing their butts off cuz I got motion sickness! Hahaha! "Hey Dad! Where ya going? Hehe" They would sound like Beavis and Butthead!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy Crap. Contour is coming out with yet another new camera, the Contour+.
Right after I bought my ContourHD 1080p, they came out with the GPS model, now this. The price of 1080p and GPS will definitely drop now.

After you posted this I went back and looked at the Contour+, that is the one to save up for. I like that it has a mic port, and it looks like it comes with a better mic too. I never cared for the sound on my GP, the Contour+ looks to be a big step up.

I wonder if GP is marking down the HDs to make room for a new line?

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
You may be dead on. I'm running a Dell Precision Pent4 @3 Ghz and a 512Mb Nvidia GTS 250. Not to shabby a system. I'm going to up date the video card driver now. In all probability it'll be a codec update because the video on this this is great in everything I run in HD except this MP4 format

I'll run it by the best video guys I know. I have three sons that work and play in the video arenas. They'd say, "Hey Dad come play this video game with us!" In a half hour they'd be laughing their butts off cuz I got motion sickness! Hahaha! "Hey Dad! Where ya going? Hehe" They would sound like Beavis and Butthead!

Looking at your specs, your ancient(sorry) P4 may very well be the bottle neck. What's you FSB and is the RAM matched accordingly?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at your specs, your ancient(sorry) P4 may very well be the bottle neck. What's you FSB and is the RAM matched accordingly?

Interestingly it plays 1080p AVI just fine! I'm watching the CPU loaf along. It's the MP4 that was recorded @ 720p

The P4 may be ancient according to the changing technologies but not ancient enough for me to do anything about. I'm aware of the standard architectural down falls that might hinder computer performance. I think I'll start by updating video drivers and then maybe CoreAVC which might add a missing or updated codec.

FSB is 1066 or 1333

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Interestingly it plays 1080p AVI just fine! I'm watching the CPU loaf along. It's the MP4 that was recorded @ 720p

The P4 may be ancient according to the changing technologies but not ancient enough for me to do anything about. I'm aware of the standard architectural down falls that might hinder computer performance. I think I'll start by updating video drivers and then maybe CoreAVC which might add a missing or updated codec.

FSB is 1066 or 1333

Yeah, vid card drivers could be causing issues as well. With nVidia, sometimes the older drivers are better, at least with games. Your FSB clearly isn't the bottle neck, so that's good. And I hear ya on the CPU's, I like to get at least 4 years out a build, more if I can keep upgrading vid cards. At least I used to do that, but no room for desktops anymore. :( But, my laptop is still more than fast enough, even for newer games, so I can't complain!

I wonder too, of it's just the way your vids are being encoded? Sometimes these encodes can be a pain, even if everything is done right. I used to have these kinds of problems in the early days of DVD ripping.

My lord how this thread got derailed. Tech talk always does the trick, doesn't it! :rof: