good thing there were no environmental police around

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i finally got my oil changed today. i've read things on here about how people missed the "oil pan" and had no clue what they were talking about. i even broke out some aluminum foil to try and keep things nice and tidy.

WOW! i'm not sure how much oil ended up on the ground but it was a good bit. and i think the same amount ended up on my pipes. i gotta figure something else out because that was bad.

anyone have any tricks you've learned to get all of the oil into the oil pan and not on the driveway? yes, i'm sure i could find the answer to this question by searching for it... but i've already started a thread about how i singlehandedly destroyed the planet today. what's the harm in a question? :D

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the short rectangular container and turn in long ways to catch the initial squirting it does.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
ahhh, i have the round one. so you use the center stand and the rectangular oil pan and don't spill any oil? if so, guess i'll be getting one of those.

anyone able to keep it clean with a round one?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ahhh, i have the round one. so you use the center stand and the rectangular oil pan and don't spill any oil? if so, guess i'll be getting one of those.

anyone able to keep it clean with a round one?

Yes...seems to do the trick. Haven't tried a round one.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just use a sheet of silver foil and it guides the oil into the container.

It amazes me that they let some people actually ride these machines....;Ø)

Steve

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I make sure the bike is no longer burning hot (ie the oil is warm, but not unbearable) and use a car oil pan, and simply unscrew the bolt until it comes out and it drains straight into the centre of the pan. Trying to undo the bolt then move the pan across is normally a disaster. You can drop the bolt into the oil, or just grab it as it comes out (hence the oil not being too hot)
Putting down plenty of newspaper will catch stray drops, but the best thing is making sure the bike is lifted high enough to get the pan properly under there while you unscrew

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a 7 quart round pan and usually make no mess. This is what I do. Place bike on centerstand and break free drain plug and filter. DO NOT LOOSEN MORE THAN 1/4 TURN OR YOU WILL MAKE A MESS AGAIN! Place bike on sidestand and place pan just so the back side is just covering the foil hanging on the exhaust. This leaves more to the front to catch the high initial flow. Remove drain plug. TIP: as you unscrew the drain plug, keep pushing in slightly as you turn. When you feel the threads stop, move the plug out of the way quickly. This helps me from dropping the drain plug in to the oil pan.

As oil flow starts decreasing, move the pan more under the bike to help catch drips. When you remove the filter, have the pan centered under the filter. This should help eliminate any mess.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
put on a pair of rubber dishwashing gloves and hold the screw in place until the flow slows down... and use the foil

+1 I just hold the screw so at the last thread I let the oil out just a little till that large pressure recedes. That and the tin foil. I also always put plastic down. Keep a fat roll of paper towels...

Cliff

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
If it is that hard for you, you can buy a plug replacement that has a pet****/valve in it. You can then aim the valve wherever you want to keep from making a mess.

check it out.
QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

disclaimer: the first time you use this, put newspaper/rags/whatever everywhere! It doesn't come out in a big smooth pour like you are used to, it shoots out like a super soaker! Once you figure out where it goes it will make draining your oil easier...

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
What works for me is I take a 20oz plastic soda bottle and cut it in half. I just put it right up to the drain and works easy without any mess (basically a cheap funnel).

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
did you spill less than this?

IMG_0902.jpg

:D

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I put the bike on the side stand then use a short 1 gallon bucket tilted towards the drain to catch the initial squirt and then set it on the ground, where the tilt from the side stand puts about 99% in the bucket and the rest on my exhaust.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a piece of foil on my pipes and make a tube of foil to guide the oil until it's manageable. The first oil change was a mess, you will get better now!