Goldwing vs FZ6 vs VF, me riding pillion

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
For one reason or another, I've ridden pillion more in the last few weeks than ever before. :(

VF1000: I still feel like I'm going to die every time I'm on the back of this bike.

FZ6: I let DH get on the front of Precious yesterday and take me for a ride. It was that or take the VF, and we needed to pick up a customer's Goldwing and take it for a good long day of riding (something to do with de-gunking the starter motor chain/sprocket/thing), and I wasn't going to ride the VF all day with its worn-out tires and all the levers set up for someone 10" taller than I am. Anyway, it wasn't as bad riding on the back of Precious because the pillion seat is higher and I informed DH I could see the speedometer over his shoulder. I told him what you guys said, and he offered to put tape over it for me. :rolleyes: Also, I think he's starting to understand how scary it is for me back there. Shouldn't be, but it is.

After riding all afternoon (just me on Precious again, which was lovely), we changed the oil on the Goldwing, tested the starter again (yay, a can of Seafoam in the engine oil did the trick), and took the old beast for a test ride. You know? It wasn't that bad. I know the bike is heavier and could do more damage to a person if it landed on her, but there's something about a big, honking bike with a La-Z-Boy on the back of it that's less terrifying. Hmmm. Maybe when we're much, much older?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
For one reason or another, I've ridden pillion more in the last few weeks than ever before. :(

VF1000: I still feel like I'm going to die every time I'm on the back of this bike.

FZ6: I let DH get on the front of Precious yesterday and take me for a ride. It was that or take the VF, and we needed to pick up a customer's Goldwing and take it for a good long day of riding (something to do with de-gunking the starter motor chain/sprocket/thing), and I wasn't going to ride the VF all day with its worn-out tires and all the levers set up for someone 10" taller than I am. Anyway, it wasn't as bad riding on the back of Precious because the pillion seat is higher and I informed DH I could see the speedometer over his shoulder. I told him what you guys said, and he offered to put tape over it for me. :rolleyes: Also, I think he's starting to understand how scary it is for me back there. Shouldn't be, but it is.

After riding all afternoon (just me on Precious again, which was lovely), we changed the oil on the Goldwing, tested the starter again (yay, a can of Seafoam in the engine oil did the trick), and took the old beast for a test ride. You know? It wasn't that bad. I know the bike is heavier and could do more damage to a person if it landed on her, but there's something about a big, honking bike with a La-Z-Boy on the back of it that's less terrifying. Hmmm. Maybe when we're much, much older?

Its probably a control thing, even when my parents drive my car it freaks me out. i only rode pillion on my bike when i first got it, before i even drove it. my dad wanted to see how it would handle a bunch of weight for long trips. usually now we just switch bikes every once in a while but i havent ridden pillion since. it doesnt bother me as long as im not on the bike with him, but if im on the back of his bike it doesn't bother me much.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a new Goldwing in 2004 after taking one for a test ride (as my friend was getting his bike serviced). I fell in love with that big friggin lounge chair! Handled great, super smooth engine!! At least since the bikes been an 1800 cc, you really only feel the weight /size going very slow. On the highway, set the cruise, crank up the stereo and relax..

As for hurting you in tip over, the front and rear, chrome engine gaurds work EXTREMLY WELL. As long as you keep your legs tucked in, they'll be fine... You can, actually, tip the bike over on its side (the crash bars) and remove the rear wheel should the need arise (one sided swing arm)

The biggest PIA with the bike, is there's soooo much PLASTIC, it takes 30 minutes just to get to the basic innerds of the bike. It is definitly NOT owner/mechainic friendly. Its pretty much a car, shrunk down ALOT and loosing two wheels... I had the alternator bearing fail while under warrenty which means pulling the engine. The shop that did screwed the bike up so bad and wouldn't fix it, (leaked oil like a late 70's Harley), drive boot flopping around, engine mount lock nuts missing, etc. Honda, pretty much told me to take them to court (it was a Honda dealer). Brought the bike 1.5 hours north, told that shop (Hap's) to fix it and I'll just sue the local shop and HONDA. They eventually fixed everything and Honda picked up the tab... I'll never own another Honda, period...

Below pic is me on the Wing on the "Dragon" in North Carolina years ago...(That bearing began to fail on the 800 plus mile ride back home from that trip)... (Before the flogging begins, I do have a textile jacket now that I do wear as well as gloves). Couldn't go terribly fast on the Dragon trying to flail 900 lbs about, not much daylight under the bike either...

Last edited:

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad rides an 06 goldwing. Everytime I ride it I am amazed how small it feels and how well it handles. I wouldn't call it "fast" but it has plenty of power.

After riding it, I understand why Honda had not changed it much over the past couple models. It is pretty dialed in. I would like to ride a BMW K1600 to compare tho.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to give you pillion riders credit. I couldn't do it!

My wife has ridden pillion on the FZ6 several times but I bought a cruiser just for the purpose of 2-up riding and touring.

DKTP%20010.jpg

Something about a nice wide backrest, a cushy seat and floor boards for your feet that just make pillion seem not so bad. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to take one out for a spin

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w69HWqWEwXc]Yellow Wolf on US129 The Tail of The Dragon or Yellow Wolf Gone in 60 seconds.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Its probably a control thing.

It's definitely a control thing. I should add that (other than the levers being in the wrong spot for me, the worn tires, etc.) being on the front of hubby's VF is something I enjoy. I'm not scared of the bike, just scared of being on the back of it.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you keep your legs tucked in, they'll be fine...

I am a klutz.

The biggest PIA ... soooo much PLASTIC, it takes 30 minutes just to get to the basic innerds of the bike. It is definitly NOT owner/mechainic friendly. Its pretty much a car, shrunk down ALOT and loosing two wheels... I had the alternator bearing fail while under warrenty which means pulling the engine.

Oh, yes, we've noticed. Not much you can do to the Goldwings he's been working on if you aren't ready to take a bunch of parts off.

(Before the flogging begins, I do have a textile jacket now that I do wear as well as gloves).

:cheer:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife's digging our Wing, I just added a Utopia backrest and she likes the pouch on it for her I Pad.

I agree with Scott it's a challenge to go under the plastic however one bad dealer should not warrant swearing off Honda-they did pick up the repair tab.

Seafoam is the Bees knees!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife's digging our Wing, I just added a Utopia backrest and she likes the pouch on it for her I Pad.

I agree with Scott it's a challenge to go under the plastic however one bad dealer should not warrant swearing off Honda-they did pick up the repair tab.

Seafoam is the Bees knees!

They weren't going to pick up the tab unless the oil leak was a manufacturer defect. Of course you wouldn't know until the bike was apart.

It WAS NOT A DEFECT, someone at the shop nicked the clutch cover bad enough (removing the old gasket) that it leaked there. (there were some other O-rings not seated properly too but that oil hadn't hit the ground yet).

Honda, however, would not back the work of the mechanic, if he screwed up, which he did, that shop would have to make it better.

I brought the bike back, with pictures, mileage, etc, they didn't even look at the oil leak, just ordered and installed some parts they lost. The problem was brought to their attention, they refused to make it right.

Bottom line, the fact that I had to chase Honda Inc. around, "to do the right thing", was flat wrong. It says HONDA on the building, I'm not allowed to check what "mechainic" is going to work on my bike, is certified, etc..

The regional rep for Honda happened to be at the shop after hearing about my issues and decided to make things right, which of course was the right thing to do.

For me, they lost a customer for life, I woudn't own a Honda car, motorcycle, mower, etc (do have a Honda engine on my pressure cleaner((from before that fiasco)) if it was free...

If I didn't have that whole issue, it'd probably still be in my garage...

Last edited: