Getting Used to the FZ6

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding bikes for almost 10 years and my FZ6 is the second street bike I've owned. The first was an 08 ninja 250r.

I've found that it takes a few hundred miles of riding through different conditions to really gauge how your bike handles situations; accelerating, braking, curves, etc.

Before my FZ6 I had been on the 250r for almost four years and I was so used to that style of riding that my first few rides on my FZ were incredibly weird...albeit, a really good weird, but weird nonetheless...

On the FZ6 I've found it sits much much higher and leaning into curves felt SO much different. I think after some riding i'll be able to shrink my chicken strips...not to any racing standards for sure, but...

What does everyone else think of the learning curve of the FZ6??? Or of switching to other bikes in general

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
the FZ is my first street bike, but i didnt find it too weird. but i have ridden plenty of other very different bikes from cruisers to SS bikes to MX.

the biggest difference too me was the lack of torque coming from full out MX bikes. but i really enjoy that screamer range (9000+ RPMs). oh and the brakes are a little weak stock.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Adjust your tire pressure and rear spring preload to your weight. I think the tire pressure was 33/36 for less than 185 pounds and 36/42 for over 185 pounds. I had my Spring preload right in the middle of the setting and liked it at me being 245. I could have gone stiffer.

When I got my Fz1, getting the suspension setup by a pro and the tire pressure set, made all the difference in the world. Lean in was a lot more fun and confidence inspiring.

Also I would say the Fz6 is rather nimble and flickable with a lot of guts. The inline 4 is a great engine and should give you some giggles when you get comfortable in being above 8000 rpms.

Last edited:

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the fz6 since mid september, I'm just now finally getting good at taking some nice corners. You know what they say, practice makes perfect, right?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Here lately my little streetfighter (my fz6) has been fighting me more than the asphalt, and since my dad hasn't been riding his V/strom because of some shoulder issues he has been having I've been riding it. Some people actually compare these bikes to each other, I guess just because they are both considered "standards" but they couldn't be anymore different. After riding the strom for a while then hopping on the fz, its truly night and day difference. The 2 major differences that I always notice 1st is the clutch's friction zone and the suspension. The FZ's friction zone is microscopic compared to the strom and it never fails, if I go from the fz to the strom I stall it a few times, or going from the strom to the fz I wheelie on the 1st few starts. The clutch is nothing compared to the suspension differences though. The best way to describe it would be like going from a 80's model caddy brougham to a corvette, one floats like a boat and the other just sticks. When trying to do a high speed turn on the strom, if its not set up perfect you get a NASTY wobble, kind of like a speed wobble but in slow motion. Where the fz is more confidence inspiring, and pretty much does what you tell it to do. For me the "learning curve" is about the same, 100miles or so, so I try to take it easy for the 1st little bit. For the most part if you can ride on bike you can ride them all, but some are more temperamental than others and take a bit more warning up to before you can really ride it.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I also went from a Ninja 250 to the FZ6 and I know exactly what the OP is talking about. The bike felt very heavy, tall, and cumbersome at first. Taking corners was downright scary for the first few rides. It definitely takes a few hundred miles to get used to it. Eventually you will become accustomed to how the bike handles and you will learn to love it. It really can scrape pegs pretty easily, it just takes a bit more balls to get it there than on the 250. But it will never have the confidence inspiring flickability that the 250 has from the get-go.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
It really can scrape pegs pretty easily, it just takes a bit more balls to get it there than on the 250. But it will never have the confidence inspiring flickability that the 250 has from the get-go.

It all must be where you start from. I started on the Fz6 as a brand new rider and scared the **** out of myself when the second long ride I took I scraped a peg. I found getting the Fz6 leaned over was pretty easy, and on top of that I had pretty horrible form compared to now.

Wait till you jump up to a liter bike or a true supersport.
:cheer::cheer::cheer:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
It all must be where you start from. I started on the Fz6 as a brand new rider and scared the **** out of myself when the second long ride I took I scraped a peg. I found getting the Fz6 leaned over was pretty easy, and on top of that I had pretty horrible form compared to now.

Wait till you jump up to a liter bike or a true supersport.
:cheer::cheer::cheer:

You need to ride a Ninja 250... :BLAA:

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the FZ6 is easy to ride... hard to master.

When I took my '08 FZ6N for a test ride, my first impression was, as you say, the height. This was because I was used to a low, lean forward sports bike. Despite this, I was instantly confident on the bike and felt it just drop into the corners with easy and stability. I loved the test ride so much I bought the bike without hesitation.

Now that I've had the bike for a while (about 4 months), I have found it quite difficult to master smooth gear changes, particularly from 1st to 2nd. I'm slowly refining it but still get a lot of jerky changes.

A lot of people mention the clutch having a small friction zone occurring very far from the handle bar - I have not found this to be the case with my bike. My clutch is relatively soft to pull and seems to have a normal and predictable friction zone. I have no issues with the clutch.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just coming up on my first year of ownership and trying to get more comfortable in the corners. Last year was mostly spent setting it up.

Things that have helped me:
  • High handlebars- renthal road medium
  • New tires- Pirelli Diablos
  • Resprung the suspension- Hyperpro
  • New clutch cable (OEM replacement was better than stock)
  • Adjustable levers

Now the bike feels right I just need practice, more practice and planning on getting some training.

BTW, keep the RPMs below 6k and you have yourself a FZ250. That's where I keep the tach 99% of the time.

Today's training ride: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...6-winter-mode-fz6-first-2013-season-ride.html

Last edited:

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Adjust your tire pressure and rear spring preload to your weight. I think the tire pressure was 33/36 for less than 185 pounds and 36/42 for over 185 pounds.

So, is the stock setting fine for me at 5'8" 165lbs?

I also went from a Ninja 250 to the FZ6 and I know exactly what the OP is talking about. The bike felt very heavy, tall, and cumbersome at first. Taking corners was downright scary for the first few rides. It definitely takes a few hundred miles to get used to it. Eventually you will become accustomed to how the bike handles and you will learn to love it. It really can scrape pegs pretty easily, it just takes a bit more balls to get it there than on the 250. But it will never have the confidence inspiring flickability that the 250 has from the get-go.

I'm glad someone else has had the same experience I did.

Thanks for all the replys!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
So, is the stock setting fine for me at 5'8" 165lbs?

RT - Digital Product Search

According to the geniuses at Racetech. You are the perfect weight for the rear spring and you would benefit from an upgrade in the front fork springs. For $120 for the spring (you can find cheaper specials, like a guy got one for $85 off amazon) and a half hour of install/shop time, you would have your suspension dialed in.

IMO the best thing you can do for your bike is always run good tires that match your riding style, and have your suspension dialed in. Then I would worry about messing with throttle body sync's and throttle cable adjustments to make your throttle control smoother. Then for bling factors I would do frame sliders, Fender Eliminator, Stainless Steel braided lines (I got Hel lines, and love the look, only a slight improvement in performance but I haven't taken them for a good thrashing yet), Slip on exhaust, then Power Commander. The Fender Eliminator and slip on exhaust will cut weight and make it even easier to throw your bike around.

Good luck and have fun. Remember, "never go full retard".

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding bikes for almost 10 years and my FZ6 is the second street bike I've owned. The first was an 08 ninja 250r.

I've found that it takes a few hundred miles of riding through different conditions to really gauge how your bike handles situations; accelerating, braking, curves, etc.

Before my FZ6 I had been on the 250r for almost four years and I was so used to that style of riding that my first few rides on my FZ were incredibly weird...albeit, a really good weird, but weird nonetheless...

On the FZ6 I've found it sits much much higher and leaning into curves felt SO much different. I think after some riding i'll be able to shrink my chicken strips...not to any racing standards for sure, but...

What does everyone else think of the learning curve of the FZ6??? Or of switching to other bikes in general

The FZ6 is gonna be slow to turn in, but smoother. You're also going to notice little throttle inputs mid-turn more than the 250. Those little 250 motors cover for you, whereas with the twitchy throttle FZ giving it a bit too much gas will upset the bike in the corner.

From my move from a 250 to the FZ, I'd say first work on being smooth with your shifting and throttle, and being in the right gear for the turns. That will help you be smooth. After that, maybe aim for slightly later apexes, and you'll get used to how the bike turns in after some time. The FZ is a budget bike but you can still go quick on it if you learn how to ride it smooth.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is gonna be slow to turn in, but smoother. You're also going to notice little throttle inputs mid-turn more than the 250. Those little 250 motors cover for you, whereas with the twitchy throttle FZ giving it a bit too much gas will upset the bike in the corner.

I've found this to be exactly the case with my FZ. In a turn a slight twist of the throttle in a turn and the bike doesn't like it, depending on what gear.

So, it will take a few trips for me to figure out what gear at what speed is necessary for a given turn.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only ridden my FZ twice so far due to vacation, but I came from an F4i and a history of sport bikes. This bike has no friction zone. So far I've always messed up the shift from 1st to 2nd. But this throttle is way easier to use and responds a lot slower. Cornering feels pretty similar but I haven't pushed it hard enough to tell yet.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Went from a Rebel 250 (scary at 55mph+ freeways) to a Versys (basically the 650 ninja engine)... i know exactly what you're talking about. i can't speak for the FZ6 but I think it's different for every bike... I went from a trail bike TTR-125 to a KX-125 (2 stroker) and that took a little bit but not too bad, when i changed from that to the yz426f race 4 stroker that took me forever to get comfortable with because i'd never ridden anything with that kind of torque before.

As for my road switch... my test ride on the Versys i felt very comfortable 15 mins into the ride, even did a u turn on a narrow road with 8' ditches on each side :D I got on my Dad's ZZR 1200 and omg i'm still not used to that...

As far as turning goes, the Versys is also a very tall bike and it took me a while before i could get any kind of serious lean going into it.... it's all about your instincts and building trust with your bike.

IMO it varies on the bike, but you'll get used to it and once you do it's 100X more fun :D