Gear lever rubber

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
My gear lever rubber is worn out, is this something others have had to replace on a regular basis ?

Mines just under a year old with 4200 miles, managed to turn rubber around a bit so flat bits away from me so can get away with a few more miles without damaging my boot, so is this the norm as I have never ever had to replace gear or brake pedal rubbers before on any of my many bikes..

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has over 17k miles on mine and is stored outside so I am worried about it wearing out and damage from the elements. At somepoint I know I will need to do something about it because it is starting to wear out quite a bit.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
And here I was thinking I was special :)

At least if it wears a lot should be cheap to replace, rather than an item nobody else ever has to buy.

Must be really soft rubber, will get on to my Yamaha dealer and see what the damage is going to be for a replacement.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine still looks mint after 17000 miles. Must be defective. :D

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a known fact that riding with flip flops wears down your shifter rubber due to the iols in your skin - you should really consider buying some gear...

- JUst joking !!!! :cheer: I wanted to add that my 04 (although mine is not shiny - doesn't look flattened at all - maybe this is something that happened on specific years or riding styles?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I still have no idea what part you're talking about. I have 32,000 miles and nothing is worn out. There is no rubber on my clutch or brake levers.

Are you talking about the gear shifter?
:needpics:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys must have a different riding position. Appears that you're foot postion is covering the levers while you're riding.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
OK had to go and get a photo, bear in mind I have turned the rubber from where it originally was.

Must be from me putting my foot under the lever.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to order a few bolts from Ron Ayers, so I threw a couple of these in as well. I just wanted to make sure it was the right thing. Simply cut the old one off and slide the new one on. Took all of 2 minutes. A little water helped it slide right on.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorted mine now, just under £7 from my local Yam dealer. Not a stocked item which surprised me but arrived in a couple of days.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool man, I ordered 2 of them and it was less than $6 for the both of them. If anyone is interested the brake side has the same part number.