gas tank MGH .. how far is too far on AVE ?

rs117

Reaction score
Visit site
when the light flashes and the counter start counting... who has pushed it to see how many miles they could go before that is all she wrote ?
thanks
Ray

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was headed to a gas station at the time, but I made it to the 40 mile mark into the reserve. I usually call it at 30 tho.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first got mine I ran out in the high 40's in summer. A winter ago I pushed it and it left me on the highway and that was about 30 miles-ish, it happend a third time again in the winter and it was again around 30. For me in the summer I push it around 40 and only maby 15-20 in the winter. Hope that helps.

rs117

Reaction score
Visit site
wow
into the 30's when the counter starts counting .. nice :rockon:

I dont run them low just playing at the moment trying to figure her out
thank you for the info :thumbup:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone to 38 before. Using a phone flashlight, I saw about 8-12 ounces of fuel left in the bottom of the tank. I get about 48-50 mpg and regularly fill up by 30-33 miles on reserve.

By the book, the reserve starts flashing with 0.95 gallons left in the tank. That means if you're getting 50 mpg, you should be able to go 47.5 miles in theory. 45 mpg? 42.75 miles. It's not precise, however, and motorcycles are heavy so don't count on it!

If you turn out fairly steady mpg numbers, I would say you can safely go 0.6 of your mpg. For example, if you get 45 mpg, you should be able to go 27 miles and never have a problem. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

rs117

Reaction score
Visit site
my first tank was just over 49 .5 and the second was 48.5.................
soo much better than the 32-35 my last two bikes ave :rockon:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I ran out at 43, but I've heard someone has gotten over 50. You're pushing your luck at 40 and above.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
80 km is the absolute max in ideal conditions. 50 km is as far as I feel comfortable pushing it on a regular basis. (That's 50 and 30 mi)

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually panic when it starts to blink and pull into 1st gas station I see, never knew that it has almost a gallon left at that point, thanks for the info :thumbup::rockon:

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
This may seem like common seance to some but don't be like me the first two times and see how far it will chug along, took near 30min to get it started again. My third time I was smart enough to kill it when it started chugging. Hell I've done this 4 times now that I think of it one I was just lucky and "chugged" into the gas stall.

Makes me wonder about all the "how many miles you getting from a tank?" threads, there is quite bit left when it starts blinking.

I said I would start filling it up when it starts flashing after all that and I have yet to do that once. Good luck!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe 20 miles or so for me. I always stop at the nearest station when it starts to blink. If you plan your trips right you can fill up before you get to reserve level. This bike should easily get 180 miles if you ride conservatively before the reserve light. I used to go 200 miles till reserve when I had stock pipes and rode more conservatively.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On many, many occasions (read, nearly every tank) I get 55kms+ out of it, on F-Trip. (never more than 65kms though - as it said I had put more in the tank, than the manufacturers spec would suggest it holds!)

I have emailed Yamaha about the whether this strategy is bad for the fuel pump, to which they replied it was fine to do as I do.

Your opinion may vary, but when the bike changes to F-Trip, I know I've got at least another day riding to work. (26kms each way)

Cheers,
Rick